Lookout antivirus

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
I just download Lookout antivirus to my Droid x and I want to know if anyone else is using this program.

Sent from my DROIDX

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just download Lookout antivirus to my Droid x and I want to know if anyone else is using this program.

Sent from my DROIDX

Don't know about Lookout, but I do know that antivirus programs have been found to be the source of a lot of issues with many, many droids. As there have been no infected droids, at least that I've heard about in my reading of these boards starting last October, I don't think I'd be putting an antivirus app on my phone. YMMV!! Good luck.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Worthless.....It'll only use CPU cycles and eat your battery for lunch.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I uninstalled lookout months ago and I still get a weekly email telling me my system is safe, in my opinion it just collects information on what you download and then uses that information for it's own purposes.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had it on my phone, but recently removed it after reading http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/69970-lookout-app-actually-needed.html and http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/49756-does-lookout-mobile-defense-actually-work.html and http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/74481-lookout-mobile-security-antivirus-backup-remote-phone-lockdown.html It also lets you backup and locate your phone, but it seems to scan after the app is installed.

You'll get a weekly email and may get an message like:

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]August 16 [/FONT]
wall.png
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]Lookout handled 1 security event. [/FONT]
monitor.png
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif]Virus scan completed: Files scanned: 198. Infected files found: 0. Files quarantined: 0. [/FONT]
but there is no way to tell what that security event was.

PARick

Reaction score
I use it. Don't know if it actually does anything, but I feel better with it just in case.

onlinehandyman

Reaction score
My system was also working pretty good until I downloaded Lookout. Then I could not even send a text message. I got rid of Lookout, shut down a few apps and we are back in business.

Don't download that kind of stuff. It's not needed yet and by the time it is, the software as well as hardware will be much better in handling it.

keithsmith22

Reaction score
I have had it for a few months. I disabled the virus protection after about a week. I keep it for the fact it backs up my photos and and has device location from their website.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
its the greatest security app out there, and not only that but u can literally track your phone from anywhere no matter what. also if u lose it you can make it scream even if its on silent and you find the phone, doesnt kill the battery at all on my rooted 2.2 droid running UD 6.0

BuglessFan

Reaction score
I have had it for a few months. I disabled the virus protection after about a week. I keep it for the fact it backs up my photos and and has device location from their website.
Agree, the antivirus part of it is annoying at best, but the other features are why I keep it.

The contact/call history back up really is overkill for me as I back those up to SD, and the contacts sync up with Google, but, meh, I do it once a month or so.

The remote locate is more important to me. It's pretty cool for long range or if the phone ever goes missing, and the scream is pretty cool. I fidget with my phone so much that I can't imagine not realizing it fell out of my pocket at a movie or restaurant, but I can imagine using it one day, and it's the kind of feature you want BEFORE you need it.

Just an hour or two ago, though, I got an e-mail for signing up for a buck for a year of a "premium" program (sure a money grab, but I tip a buck when I buy coffee, so what the heck). The first premium preview feature is dead awesome. It's a remote lock that survives reboots and requires going to the web site to unlock it again. You can't unlock it on the phone, unless you get someone who knows how to and is willing to boot into recovery to restore a backup. Pretty sweet for the 95% case when your phone fell out of your pocket at a restaurant or the like and you want to lock it up until you can get to it. Nothing's perfect, but I like the other features on the app.

So, it's not a must have app, but it's one I want.

BuglessFan

Reaction score
Oh, and for those worried about "battery sucking" I've never seen it on the top 20 users of battery any time I've checked to see what's using battery on my phone. Juice Defender and Juice Plotter both use way more battery than Lookout.