Lollipop update. Any Issues?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Have you restarted the phone at all lately? Sometimes that's all you need to kinda reset something that's hung up and running in the background.

Mine's been unplugged for almost 3 hours, I've got 95% battery left (which the phone claims is Approximately 2 days left), and Google Services, Android OS, and The Weather Channel are all that's showing. 1% each.

I try to restart my phone every few days, regardless of the last time I had an OS or even a lot of app updates, just to kinda refresh things.

I still think you're probably right about looking at an FDR, but figured I'd toss out something obvious that others might not have thought to do.

I've restarted many times (it's something I do regularly as well), and I've also cleared the cache from recovery a couple times. Nothing has helped. I can still get through a day with the battery, but it's draining at much faster rate than it used to.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Have you restarted the phone at all lately? Sometimes that's all you need to kinda reset something that's hung up and running in the background.

Mine's been unplugged for almost 3 hours, I've got 95% battery left (which the phone claims is Approximately 2 days left), and Google Services, Android OS, and The Weather Channel are all that's showing. 1% each.

I try to restart my phone every few days, regardless of the last time I had an OS or even a lot of app updates, just to kinda refresh things.

I still think you're probably right about looking at an FDR, but figured I'd toss out something obvious that others might not have thought to do.
I reboot my phone usually 3 or 4 times a week. Last night being most recent. I'm beginning to think play services is trying to do something.... I'm not opposed to a FDR I usually do that every few months anyways.

Note 4Tified

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Was it 5.0 or 5.0.1 that they claimed had a memory leak issue? Could that be part of the problem?

I have to agree that I'm making it through a full day since the update, but I've always got considerably less battery left at the end of the day.

As stated, I've done the FDR dance, so that could explain why mine's not quite as bad as you guys are seeing, though it also doesn't appear to be quite as good as it once was.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Was it 5.0 or 5.0.1 that they claimed had a memory leak issue? Could that be part of the problem?

I have to agree that I'm making it through a full day since the update, but I've always got considerably less battery left at the end of the day.

As stated, I've done the FDR dance, so that could explain why mine's not quite as bad as you guys are seeing, though it also doesn't appear to be quite as good as it once was.

Both, but 5.0.1 was particularly troublesome with RAM usage. The decreased battery life very well could be related to that. Without anything active, my Note 4 is currently using over 2GB of RAM. Under the same circumstances it previously was around 1.5GB.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I reboot my phone usually 3 or 4 times a week. Last night being most recent. I'm beginning to think play services is trying to do something.... I'm not opposed to a FDR I usually do that every few months anyways.

Note 4Tified

Wasn't Google Play Services the culprit of early builds with wakelock issues causing battery drain or they had pinpointed it to Google Now as the app was trying to ping location all the time regardless if screen was on or off?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Looks like everyone will be pretty busy today with FDRs. Keep us updated guys, good luck.

S5 tap'n

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Wasn't Google Play Services the culprit of early builds with wakelock issues causing battery drain or they had pinpointed it to Google Now as the app was trying to ping location all the time regardless if screen was on or off?
I think there were a few articles on the Google Now. I am going to experiment and "freeze" it or see what I can do about it.

Note 4Tified

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I think there were a few articles on the Google Now. I am going to experiment and "freeze" it or see what I can do about it.

Note 4Tified

I froze the Google search app a little over an hour ago, and within that short time, Google Services has completely dropped off my battery usage list. Since installing the Lollipop update, it had previously always been at the top or in the top two. This is definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I froze the Google search app a little over an hour ago, and within that short time, Google Services has completely dropped off my battery usage list. Since installing the Lollipop update, it had previously always been at the top or in the top two. This is definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on.
If that's the problem, I hope they fix it soon. Love me some Google Now.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If that's the problem, I hope they fix it soon. Love me some Google Now.
Whatever the problem is, it's not likely to be fixed until we see 5.1 or an Android version beyond that.

The decreased battery life is annoying, but it's not like it took a dive off a cliff. At least there aren't any major issues so far like other devices have seen with 5.0, 5.0.1, and 5.0.2 updates.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You would think there would be potential to fix it with an update to Google Play Services or the Google Search app if that's really the culprit, but I suppose they would've fixed it by now if that was the case. You're probably right. I also agree that battery life hasn't gone to crap, just gone down a bit.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You would think there would be potential to fix it with an update to Google Play Services or the Google Search app if that's really the culprit, but I suppose they would've fixed it by now if that was the case. You're probably right. I also agree that battery life hasn't gone to crap, just gone down a bit.

I wish it were as easy as an update to Google Play Services or the Google app, but if it were, they would have done that months ago. It took jumping to 5.1 to fix most of the issues.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Drop in battery life must be frustrating, being that they (Google) told us for months before release that Lollipop would be much easier on battery life and you would notice a significant improvement. Sounds like that backfired on them.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So much for Project Volta. Haha!

I'm wondering if part of it doesn't have to do with ART and apps not being fully optimized for it. I remember a while back, I decided to go ahead and switch my phone to ART. It wasn't pretty. Phone got really hot and it tried to optimize all of my apps every time it restarted.

In any case, I haven't actually needed to swap in my spare battery yet since the update, but I haven't had a ton of battery life to spare at the end of the day either.