1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Locked bootloaders: what's all the hubbub over?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by audioman42, Jan 20, 2011.

1. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

The Droid X has a locked bootloader, but that doesn't seem to be hurting the hackers. Users can still root, overclock, & install themes & ROMs. Does a locked bootloader make things harder for the devs? Am I missing something?
  2. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

It makes it extremely harder on the dev and the user, and limits what can be done through custom roms, kernels, and recoveries.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. rgreene1971

rgreene1971 New Member

What can not been done to a Droid X with a locked bootloader versus one unlocked? I know the droid x right now can not be unlocked. From what I have seen so far and have done with my droid x, I am not sure having an unlocked bootloader is really needed? I have rooted my phone, done the wireless tether, installed custom themes, changed roms, what more is there? If it is only to make it easier on the devs of these custom roms then I really dont see the advantage.
  4. chrstdvd

chrstdvd New Member

I am with you, audioman42, I have asked on a different forum what the difference between a launcher and ROM are and been told the Launcher is like hitting the Start button on Windows and the ROM is like the operating system.

Why would I want to change my operating system? What do I gain from it?
  5. Trong

Trong New Member

Loading up a Gingerbread kernel.
  6. rgreene1971

rgreene1971 New Member

I will get that when it is released from google. That is still not an advantage to having a unlocked bootloader. I can already download the keyboard and the media player which is full of bugs and force close issues, so what advantage is that? more frustration?

I dont know, maybe I am just to dumb to see the advantage?
  7. Desicrator

Desicrator New Member

Did moto send out the crew to our forums?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  8. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

you won't get it if the manufacturer/carrier doesn't release it. and with a locked bootloader you'll never get it. simple as that.

the thing a locked bootloader prevents you from doing is updating to the next OS version. that's a big thing though because you'll be stuck on froyo forever if verizon doesn't send out an ota.
  9. rgreene1971

rgreene1971 New Member

Thank You! Now that is a better reason and a more useful explanation. Unlike other forum members who do not want to educate and rifle off smart ass comments *cough* Desicrator *cough*
  10. Desicrator

Desicrator New Member

11. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

so you're saying that even if the official droid x gingerbread rom is leaked early, droid x users won't be able to upgrade early like og droid users were able to do with froyo?
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Correct. You won't get gingerbread until motorola/vzw gives it to you. The gb source has been out since december...there are zero dx gb "roms"...if motorola decides not to give dx users gb you're stuck on froyo until you get a new phone

13. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

If it gets leaked from moto then yeah we can load it up. Og users however are able to jimmy together working roms made from the source released by google, not the leaked official update from moto. Which is why og users are already using mostly functional gb roms.

tappin and a talkin
  14. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

How would you change the kernel without the bootloader keys? You're talking about update.zipping a leaked gb ota? I don't think you could that...maybe I'm wrong

15. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

I may be mistaken but I thought previous leaked updates had indeed updated the kernal and bootloader

tappin and a talkin
  16. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

Not sure but I doubt it. That would be too easy haha...who knows though

EDIT: Yep you were right...there was leaked OTA for Froyo and people were using that but supposedly it was extremely unstable. So I guess if there is a leaked OTA then yeah you would be able to do it. But remember, if Motorola doesn't want to support your phone...there won't be a leak...because the OTA won't exist. haha...so pretty much still at the mercy of motorola.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  17. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

so basically with a locked bootloader you can change parts and add bolt-ons, but you can't swap the whole engine?
  18. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad

Exactly. We can upgrade earlier than they intend us to but only if they have built it and someone leaks it, which doesn't mean all that much for us.

tappin and a talkin
  19. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

This is difficult with a whole new crop of phone owners coming to the site that never had the joy of owning a Droid 1 with it's unlocked bootloader.

Those with the D1 that enjoyed the ability to flash roms that were not just rehashed versions of stock are not happy with the restrictions that Moto puts on us now.

Fact is that there are many that don't want to take advantage of what their phones could offer, and that's fine. But those of us that do should have that option. Moto no longer allows this, but HTC and Samsung do.

I am now on my last Motorola phone because of this. And I certainly don't expect those that have not owned an unlocked phone to understand.
  20. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

i've owned the droid since it was first introduced over 14 months ago. i love flashing custom roms (by the way, bugless beast is awesome!) that improve on random things that the "professionals" don't have the time or desire to perfect; that's the main reason i started this thread - i wanted to make sure i wouldn't lose any hackability if i upgraded to the droid x. it seems like people are mainly upset not because of any lost hackability, but simply because motorola has attempted to close a system that uses its openness as a selling point.