Locked bootloaders: what's all the hubbub over?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it gets leaked from moto then yeah we can load it up. Og users however are able to jimmy together working roms made from the source released by google, not the leaked official update from moto. Which is why og users are already using mostly functional gb roms.

tappin and a talkin

How would you change the kernel without the bootloader keys? You're talking about update.zipping a leaked gb ota? I don't think you could that...maybe I'm wrong

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I may be mistaken but I thought previous leaked updates had indeed updated the kernal and bootloader

tappin and a talkin

Not sure but I doubt it. That would be too easy haha...who knows though

EDIT: Yep you were right...there was leaked OTA for Froyo and people were using that but supposedly it was extremely unstable. So I guess if there is a leaked OTA then yeah you would be able to do it. But remember, if Motorola doesn't want to support your phone...there won't be a leak...because the OTA won't exist. haha...so pretty much still at the mercy of motorola.

Last edited:
OP
audioman42

audioman42

Reaction score
If it gets leaked from moto then yeah we can load it up. Og users however are able to jimmy together working roms made from the source released by google, not the leaked official update from moto. Which is why og users are already using mostly functional gb roms.

tappin and a talkin
so basically with a locked bootloader you can change parts and add bolt-ons, but you can't swap the whole engine?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How would you change the kernel without the bootloader keys? You're talking about update.zipping a leaked gb ota? I don't think you could that...maybe I'm wrong

I may be mistaken but I thought previous leaked updates had indeed updated the kernal and bootloader

tappin and a talkin

so pretty much still at the mercy of motorola.

Exactly. We can upgrade earlier than they intend us to but only if they have built it and someone leaks it, which doesn't mean all that much for us.

tappin and a talkin

MrKleen

Reaction score
This is difficult with a whole new crop of phone owners coming to the site that never had the joy of owning a Droid 1 with it's unlocked bootloader.

Those with the D1 that enjoyed the ability to flash roms that were not just rehashed versions of stock are not happy with the restrictions that Moto puts on us now.

Fact is that there are many that don't want to take advantage of what their phones could offer, and that's fine. But those of us that do should have that option. Moto no longer allows this, but HTC and Samsung do.

I am now on my last Motorola phone because of this. And I certainly don't expect those that have not owned an unlocked phone to understand.

OP
audioman42

audioman42

Reaction score
This is difficult with a whole new crop of phone owners coming to the site that never had the joy of owning a Droid 1 with it's unlocked bootloader.

Those with the D1 that enjoyed the ability to flash roms that were not just rehashed versions of stock are not happy with the restrictions that Moto puts on us now.

Fact is that there are many that don't want to take advantage of what their phones could offer, and that's fine. But those of us that do should have that option. Moto no longer allows this, but HTC and Samsung do.

I am now on my last Motorola phone because of this. And I certainly don't expect those that have not owned an unlocked phone to understand.
i've owned the droid since it was first introduced over 14 months ago. i love flashing custom roms (by the way, bugless beast is awesome!) that improve on random things that the "professionals" don't have the time or desire to perfect; that's the main reason i started this thread - i wanted to make sure i wouldn't lose any hackability if i upgraded to the droid x. it seems like people are mainly upset not because of any lost hackability, but simply because motorola has attempted to close a system that uses its openness as a selling point.

MrKleen

Reaction score

i've owned the droid since it was first introduced over 14 months ago. i love flashing custom roms (by the way, bugless beast is awesome!) that improve on random things that the "professionals" don't have the time or desire to perfect; that's the main reason i started this thread - i wanted to make sure i wouldn't lose any hackability if i upgraded to the droid x. it seems like people are mainly upset not because of any lost hackability, but simply because motorola has attempted to close a system that uses its openness as a selling point.

No, I am upset with the hackability. I am not able to load a real custom rom. You cannot get Cyanogenmod or Miui "sp" rom.... nothing that would require a new kernel. If you enjoy roms I would not buy a Droid X.

Almost everyone is happy with whatever phone they have simply because they have to be. Anyone that did not have a D1 and now owns an X is happy with it. Ask those that had a D1 that now have an X and see if they are completely happy.

But if you get a good deal on an X on Craigslist you can't go wrong. At least you won't be wasting an upgrade and be stuck with it. Honestly I would consider trading you my 4 week old X for your D1. And yes I understand what I am saying, I owned a D1. But I got it at Costco and I can return it within 90 days. I think I may do this and get an unlocked Thunderbolt when it comes out.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Lost hackability? Yeah, you lose that in SPADES. All the ROMs for the X/2/variants are glorified themes. There's no custom kernel, a pathetic 4-slot kernel for stock, and if you do something wrong you're SBFing instead of rebooting and wiping. Also, if you TRY to install something Motorola has locked down with a 2048-bit encryption, you trigger the e-fuse and you're shipping your phone back to Moto to be unlocked.

Yeah, you lose hackability. Big time.

MrKleen

Reaction score
audioman42.... you have not done enough research with the right people. I guarantee you that anyone you ask will tell you they like their phone.... no matter what phone it is. I like my X. It is a nice phone. But coming from the D1 in regard to rom flashing it is a DOWNGRADE of the highest sorts. Anyone that says otherwise is simply happy with simply stripping some blur out of the stock rom and calling it a rom. Don't get me wrong, they do the best they can with their hands tied behind their backs.

Buy the Droid X if you get it cheap. But if you are a rom flasher don't use an upgrade especially this far into the X's life.

P.S. How much would you like for your D1?