Liberty 1.5 Battery Life?

zenman77

Reaction score
Agreed:

After having my battery draining like crazy all of a sudden I realized that an update with facebook was the cause and turned off notifications. Once that was done, battery life was back to normal again...........

Well these tweaks did fix part of my battery issues but i think the facebook app is a total battery hog when it refreshes or because of the damn chat feature on it now. After four hours of no use at all, it brings my phone down to 60 or 70 percent battery life left. Im going to try without it and see if my theory is right. You all proly know that already but i dont/didnt.

JWellington

Reaction score
Well, I don't use facebook. Perhaps that is a reason that I don't experience the poor battery life. It would be reported to facebook.

Swyped from my Droid X.

validoption

Reaction score
Weird. I use FB and use Spare Parts to detail battery use and it's practically nil...

After having my battery draining like crazy all of a sudden I realized that an update with facebook was the cause and turned off notifications. Once that was done, battery life was back to normal again...........

Well these tweaks did fix part of my battery issues but i think the facebook app is a total battery hog when it refreshes or because of the damn chat feature on it now. After four hours of no use at all, it brings my phone down to 60 or 70 percent battery life left. Im going to try without it and see if my theory is right. You all proly know that already but i dont/didnt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

en28so

Reaction score
I tried the sysctl tweak, disabled the ad blocker and increased the mem free thingy and i am seeing significant increase in battery life after 5 hours im still at 90% where normally i would be around 60 or 50%. Thanks guys for the help, seems more people had this problem than i thought.
Is sysctl tweak in the liberty toolbox? If not how do you do this? I already enabled the ads. Thanks.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have had phenominal battery life with 1.5 and I am not doing the Sysct thing. I am giving credit to Quickclock for my long lasting battery. Today for instance....I have played NFS Shift....Zuma....email (of course I have like 7 gmail accounts linked to my phone) and been browsing and posting on several forums.....9 hours.....60% remaining. OC'd to 1.5GHz

Inverse

Reaction score
Using Jrummys Droid Overclock will give your phone like, hours upon hours of life. Since it underclocks your processor when the screen is off among other things.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do use that app in conjunction with QuickClock. Guess that' why. 10 and a half hours with a recent half hour phone call....still 40%

SeanRinVA

Reaction score
Did you train Android on your battery? Typical process for doing this (may be required anytime you flash a ROM or wipe battery stats):
  1. Wipe battery stats
  2. Fully drain your phone
  3. Turn phone back on until it drains again (hopefully just a minute or two)
  4. Fully charge your phone while it's turned off
  5. Once it's charged to 100%, give it one more hour of charging.
  6. Use your phone like normal until it dies (do NOT charge it in any way during this step!)
  7. Once it died from the previous step, charge it back up (fully or partially) and use it like normal - it should be properly trained when you turn it back on during this step.
Update: I performed these steps, and now I'm looking at averaging ~20 hours between hops on the charger with my work-day usage. Of course, I use it more on weekends, but this is a GREAT improvement. I have also found that in my experience, the Battery Left widget is not truly accurate.

Thank you for the comprehensive step-by-step. I had always thought the charge/drain steps were for conditioning the battery. I had never seen anyone mention training Android until your post.

Interesting observation - I got nearly 22 hours on step 6...fully charging at step 7 now...we shall see how it goes...

Imyourbatman

Reaction score
I get 10:40 consistently every day - stock battery (if someone can recommend a reliable extended battery that will fit within an Otterbox Defender case, I'll buy it immediately). When I went from 1.0 to 1.5, I wiped all caches (including Dalvik), and wiped battery stats. The phone is just at a month old, and for the 1st two weeks, I would charge it to 100%, then drain it to power off.

All sync's are set to 3hrs. I use it moderately while at work - primarily when I'm at lunch or having a smoke. I use it fairly heavily when I'm at home.

I have Overclocking enabled, but whenever I use any timings other than reverting to stock (I was using ULV), I would experience random kernel panics (system freeze, then reboot).
I have Droid X Overclock set to Stock Settings, and use profiles (No Profile Match = 300/1000, AC Charging = 800/1000, USB Charging = 600/800, Batt < 35% = 300/600, & Screen Off = 300/300).
I disabled the Ad Block in Liberty settings and removed an Ad Blocker app.
I use Locale to set WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS/Brightness settings.
I set SysCtrl settings (Using JRummy's SysCtrl app) to 4096/90/50/1 & Oom Checked (reboot every morning).

That's about all the details I know to post. If a dev can look this over and give me some hints, I'd really appreciate it. Of course, if some more info is needed, just LMK.

Did you train Android on your battery? Typical process for doing this (may be required anytime you flash a ROM or wipe battery stats):
  1. Wipe battery stats
  3. Turn phone back on until it trains again (hopefully just a minute or two)
  6. Use your phone like normal until it dies (do NOT charge it in any way during this step!)
  7. Once it died from the previous step, charge it back up (fully or partially) and use it like normal - it should be properly trained when you turn it back on during this step

First of all, you are NOT calibrating your lithium ion battery when doing this - you are calibrating Android so it knows what to expect from your battery. This is an Android technique/algorithm - not a battery technology process. Secondly, this is sometimes necessary any time you flash a ROM, install a theme, change kernel settings, swap batteries, wipe battery stats, and probably in some other scenarios too. You may not ALWAYS have to do this (depends on what you flash from/to) but you should always do this just for good measure. If you REALLY want to be lazy and avoid this, then make sure your battery is always fully-charged anytime before you flash/restore/etc. and wipe battery stats when done - that is the best you can do while avoiding this work.

Does this work if my battery gets down to 30 and jumps down to 5?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Using Jrummys Droid Overclock will give your phone like, hours upon hours of life. Since it underclocks your processor when the screen is off among other things.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Over/underclocking and undervolting aren't needed for good battery life. Never used it a day in my

life and I get longer life than most. Now I'm not saying it cant help, just saying it's not needed.

A lot of other thing's can be done to improve battery life. Like you could try the following>>>

-Put the phone down: This helps, trust me.

-No Advanced Taskillers or Anti Virus: Just not needed.

-I DON'T over/underclock or use low voltage: Just my preference.

-Only run what your using, example: If your not using navigation or maps, freeze them.

-I sync when I want too: Meaning my Facebook, Twitter and other widgets aren't on all the time.

I refresh most of my widgets and such myself.

-I don't run wifi: Others choose to for their own reasons, I do not. Except for large downloads.

-My screen brightness is set to 10%: Unless your outside constantly, no need for brightness to

be all the way up. I see fine with mine set at 10%.

Chrussell1215

Reaction score
I get 10:40 consistently every day - stock battery (if someone can recommend a reliable extended battery that will fit within an Otterbox Defender case, I'll buy it immediately). When I went from 1.0 to 1.5, I wiped all caches (including Dalvik), and wiped battery stats. The phone is just at a month old, and for the 1st two weeks, I would charge it to 100%, then drain it to power off.

All sync's are set to 3hrs. I use it moderately while at work - primarily when I'm at lunch or having a smoke. I use it fairly heavily when I'm at home.

I have Overclocking enabled, but whenever I use any timings other than reverting to stock (I was using ULV), I would experience random kernel panics (system freeze, then reboot).
I have Droid X Overclock set to Stock Settings, and use profiles (No Profile Match = 300/1000, AC Charging = 800/1000, USB Charging = 600/800, Batt < 35% = 300/600, & Screen Off = 300/300).
I set SysCtrl settings (Using JRummy's SysCtrl app) to 4096/90/50/1 & Oom Checked (reboot every morning).

That's about all the details I know to post. If a dev can look this over and give me some hints, I'd really appreciate it. Of course, if some more info is needed, just LMK.

1. Wipe battery stats
  7. Once it died from the previous step, charge it back up (fully or partially) and use it like normal - it should be properly trained when you turn it back on during this step

First of all, you are NOT calibrating your lithium ion battery when doing this - you are calibrating Android so it knows what to expect from your battery. This is an Android technique/algorithm - not a battery technology process. Secondly, this is sometimes necessary any time you flash a ROM, install a theme, change kernel settings, swap batteries, wipe battery stats, and probably in some other scenarios too. You may not ALWAYS have to do this (depends on what you flash from/to) but you should always do this just for good measure. If you REALLY want to be lazy and avoid this, then make sure your battery is always fully-charged anytime before you flash/restore/etc. and wipe battery stats when done - that is the best you can do while avoiding this work.

I really hope this works. I wasn't having any battery life problems before 1.5 either... just drained my battery in under an hour. So I tried to turn the phone back on after the battery drained to "train" it... but it wouldn't turn on at all. I am now charging the phone while it is off. Will this still work?

MaelstromOC

Reaction score
I finally decided to use a custom rom and installed Liberty 1.5 on my Droid X and I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the battery life I've gotten. I just took screencaps of my usage (to show uptime since unplugged) and a shot to show battery life.

As of right now I'm sitting on 15% power left (waiting on it to go dead so I can get an idea of life expectancy) and the time since unplugged is 1 day 19 hours and 4 minutes. I couldn't even get 24 hours out of my phone before with stock 2.3.340

dirtyfingers

Reaction score

1. Wipe battery stats

I really hope this works. I wasn't having any battery life problems before 1.5 either... just drained my battery in under an hour. So I tried to turn the phone back on after the battery drained to "train" it... but it wouldn't turn on at all. I am now charging the phone while it is off. Will this still work?

I am pretty sure he meant to say "drain" not train and just to try to turn it on to make sure the battery is fully drained.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Shadows9909

Reaction score
This .zip has dramatically increased my performance and battery life. I would strongly recommend it, its like having my phone overclocked to 1.5ghz but actually at 1ghz and even better battery life than when undervolted. Worth a try anyway ;) (I would suggest making a nandroid just in case)

http://www.imoseyon.com/ (scroll down to DX link)

Sent from my DROIDX

drum747

Reaction score
Unbelievable results from the link above

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App