LG Optimus Black - Elegant Design Raises Bar for Android Phones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-Optimus-Black-Preview-Design-01.jpg

At CES this year we were given a sneak peek at the LG Optimus Black, and we wrote about then too. While this phone does not have some of the more 'media-frenzy' inducing technical features like a dual-core processor or advanced graphics capabilities, not everyone needs super-computer power in the smartphone. What the Optimus Black does have that makes it stand out from the crowd, is an an advanced screen for brighter visibility on an elegantly designed super-thin form factor.

For this phone, LG has engineered a new thinner form of LCD technology. The Optimus Black sports a 4-inch IPS-LCD display with 480x800 pixels of resolution they call the NOVA display. It, amazingly, is as bright or brighter than some Super-AMOLED displays (at 700nit), yet is thinner and lighter. It is also very energy efficient, using zero watts when displaying blacks.

Because of this new screen technology, LG was able to shrink the form factor of the phone to a mere 9.2mm at only 3.84 ounces, all with a 4-inch screen. With the Optimus Black being one of the thinnest, lightest and brightest phones coming this year, LG has show-cased an excellent design quality aesthetic that hopefully heralds a continuing trend for the future.
Below is a pic comparing the thin form factor of the iPhone 4, the Optimus Black, the Nokia E7, and the Samsung Galaxy S.

What do you guys think of this sexy little phone?

LG-Optimus-Black-thinness-comparison.jpg

Source: PhoneArena

jesq

Reaction score
I think it needs to be announced for the U.S., more specifically Verizon, so I can get it. I have wanted this phone since they first announced it at CES.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Come on with the screen resolution already. 800 x 400??? 4 inch+ screen phones should be getting in to the 1024 x 768 range by now..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Elegantly designed? It's a phone, not a work of art! You want to make a fashion statement get yourself a nice watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
...Looks like a droid incredible with LG painted on it to me, but that's just me :D

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Elegantly designed? It's a phone, not a work of art! You want to make a fashion statement get yourself a nice watch.

Right. I want a phone that is comfortable to hold and use and does what I need it for. If it looks pretty, but doesn't meet the above criteria, then it is useless.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Elegantly designed? It's a #$@!#ING phone, not a work of art! You want to make a fashion statement get yourself a nice watch.

You must not know art much. This is a person creation and in one way or another, it's art. Anything crafted could be considered art. The phone doesn't just happen to look the way it does; crafted it in their own image they felt fit..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You must not know art much. This is a person creation and in one way or another, it's art. Anything crafted could be considered art. The phone doesn't just happen to look the way it does; crafted it in their own image they felt fit..

I could leave a floater in the toilet and call it art but that wouldn't make it so nor would it make me an artist.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I could leave a floater in the toilet and call it art but that wouldn't make it so nor would it make me an artist.

:rofl2: I can see you having an art exhibit in your bathroom. No, no, don't pull the handle. :biggrin:

forum8417

Reaction score
Ever since i read about this phone from CES I decided this is what I wanted and this is what I will wait for.

cpjr

Reaction score
I think its funny that in a size comparison....the iphone has a case on it :icon_eek:

mcadam

Reaction score
I think its funny that in a size comparison....the iphone has a case on it :icon_eek:

This. iPhone is 9.3mm without case. Optimus Black is 9.2mm.

Impressive, but hardly noticeable.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that phones are too thin, but it adds 0 functional value and, to me, I question whether a few mm even does much for aesthetics/design.

I like my phone to have a little mass to it and feel sturdy - too thin starts to feel fragile. And not that it's better or worse, but one type of issue I'm talking about is in landscape mode on my D1 I sometimes hit the capacitative buttons accidentally. Sure, I'm holding it wrong but I like a little physical "thickness" to my phone for comfort and it's disappearing as they get thinner.