Leaked Best Buy & Amazon Ads Show Galaxy Nexus as Nexus Prime; Verizon Pic Disputes

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-prime-galaxy-nexus-bestbuy-ad.jpg

Is this a case of marketing folks not doing their research properly, or could the new Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus be actually called the Nexus Prime like original reports months ago suggested? Both Best Buy and Amazon have recently called the phone the Nexus Prime. There is a leaked Best Buy ad that calls the phone the Nexus Prime, and Amazon recently added the following to their wireless website, "Samsung Galaxy S II Nexus Prime 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)." This is strange indeed that both parties would make the same or similar mistakes, although it's also additionally odd that Amazon is calling the phone the Galaxy SII Nexus Prime.

nexus-prime-amazon-ad.png

Still, even though it is odd, we have seen carriers re-brand phones before, so it is possible. However, despite these interesting tidbits, it would appear that Verizon's internal web page used by indirect Verizon resellers to order their inventory of the phone disputes both of these ads and still calls it the Galaxy Nexus. Of course that could just be their internal system name for the phone since that is the original name from the manufacturer. It appears that the naming mystery of the first ICS device has returned for one last plot-twist.

nexus-prime-galaxy-nexus-verizon-ad.jpg

What do you guys think? Will it be the Galaxy Nexus, or the Nexus Prime? Do you care what the name is, and will we ever be able to find out if Bigfoot really exists? You decide! :icon_eek:

Source: Phandroid and PhoneArena and AndroidCentral and Amazon

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
All I know is I like Amazons $619 better than Best Buys $799 :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jcardona1

Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy SII Nexus Prime? What a horrible name.

This is the Galaxy Nexus. Period. End of story. I think Samsung and Google know better than anybody else what the name of their device is.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
At this point I totally don't care what they call it. Just release it. I feel like I'm picking up a friend at the airport after his flight has been delayed...

Look, just give me a call when you land and I'll pick you up in a few minutes.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
At this point I totally don't care what they call it. Just release it. I feel like I'm picking up a friend at the airport after his flight has been delayed...

Look, just give me a call when you land and I'll pick you up in a few minutes.

Nah, I say let me know ahead of time when you are going to be there, and I'll be there waiting for you to arrive.:happy:

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy SII Nexus Prime? What a horrible name.

This is the Galaxy Nexus. Period. End of story. I think Samsung and Google know better than anybody else what the name of their device is.

...unless, the Nexus sprouts multiple variants (nexus prime = flagship & touchless, nexus touch = qwerty) which is expected.

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score
I think all name fuss comes down to Samsung, Verizon and Google fighting over who gets "branding" rights.

At this point, "Galaxy", "Nexus" and "Droid" are all brand names that each company wants associated with the phone. Verizon loses because its gonna be a pure ICS phone with no bloatware.... so "Droid" gets dropped from the argument.

Now, Samsung probably argues they have what may be the top brand competitor to the iphone in the name of "Galaxy" and Google argues, that "Nexus" has become the name of cutting edge Android... neither one of them want their brand names left off the phone... so there's the rub. Galaxy Nexus vs Nexus Prime vs blah blah blah...

I am sure that the "S" in the Nexus S was Samsung's doing more than Googles... and now that the Galaxy brand has become even more successful with the SII... they don't want simply an addendum... they want credit for the whole damn phone.

Whose right? Whose wrong? Idk... but they better hurry before I break down and buy a razr. Specs be damned, the razr is a cool ass phone.

def

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think all name fuss comes down to Samsung, Verizon and Google fighting over who gets "branding" rights.

At this point, "Galaxy", "Nexus" and "Droid" are all brand names that each company wants associated with the phone. Verizon loses because its gonna be a pure ICS phone with no bloatware.... so "Droid" gets dropped from the argument.

Now, Samsung probably argues they have what may be the top brand competitor to the iphone in the name of "Galaxy" and Google argues, that "Nexus" has become the name of cutting edge Android... neither one of them want their brand names left off the phone... so there's the rub. Galaxy Nexus vs Nexus Prime vs blah blah blah...

I am sure that the "S" in the Nexus S was Samsung's doing more than Googles... and now that the Galaxy brand has become even more successful with the SII... they don't want simply an addendum... they want credit for the whole damn phone.

Whose right? Whose wrong? Idk... but they better hurry before I break down and buy a razr. Specs be damned, the razr is a cool ass phone.

def

You're reading far too much into this. The name was decided many months ago and to consider the Best Buy ad as anything more than a mistake or fake would be ridiculous.

Sent from my Droid

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score
You're reading far too much into this. The name was decided many months ago and to consider the Best Buy ad as anything more than a mistake or fake would be ridiculous.

Sent from my Droid

lol, ok. Thanks for the enlightenment :) I always forget how trivial naming a flagship product is. :D

def

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is another HUGE reason they can't call it the Prime, because Asus just announced their transformer prime tablet. They got the name first. There is no way you would have two somewhat similar products named the prime.