LCD is Black

Matt6233

Reaction score
Okay first off I dropped my Droid 2 in the toilet and quickly pulled it out and took out the battery. I've had it in rice for around 40 hours so I plugged it in. It charges, vibrates, receives calls, texts, has sound so I know it's on. When I touch the buttons and the screen it vibrates as if I'm unlocking it. I just can't see the screen, it's black with nothing like it's off. Has anyone has this happen? Maybe a cable is loose or needs to dry longer?? At worst I'm willing to buy a replacement LCD and put it in but if I were to replace it and then have a bunch of other phone problems with the phone that would suck. So if any one has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks.

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
I'm assuming you don't have insurance. You could replace the screen and hope thats the problem. I have repaired many phones and water damage is the hardest thing to work with. The water could have done damage to the board or it could just have damaged the screen. If it were me I would replace the screen and hope for the best. Just be sure to only get the LCD and not the digitizer as that doesn't seem to be your issue, unless you can get both cheap.

OP
M

Matt6233

Reaction score
But if there was damage to the board wouldnt that make it so i cant recieve calls and texts because like a said i just was able to hear calls and texts comming in and all that. I haven't tested headphones, gps, internet cause i have no screen

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Is it the backlight or is it the digitizer? Replacement digitizers are available but aren't cheap. Neither is getting them replaced.

Sounds like your phone is screwed.

OP
M

Matt6233

Reaction score
Is the digitizer the thing that recognizes touch? Cause it recognizes touch so I'm thinking backlight because the bottom home button and search button and all of those don't light up.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's a whole other kettle of fish. If the backlight is all that's out, however, if you shine a light on the screen you'll see more than just flat black, however.

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
I don't believe its the digitizer. That is just the top layer that senses touch. The lcd is what has the actual display and backlight. If your board is corroded at the lcd contacts then a new one may not help. I would take it apart if you can and look the board over for corrosion. Im not sure what lights up the buttons though.

OP
M

Matt6233

Reaction score
I am probably going to order a new LCD screen. I can see the screen a little bit and read some words under light I was actually able to read the time on the phone. What should I look for on the board to see if it's corroded??? Thanks

I was able to see that I received an email as well so the internet seems to work.

Also is it possible that the flex cable is just broken???

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
I would doubt the flex cable but anything is possible. Look for any discoloration or white marks on he board. Especially the lcd contacts. You may be able to clean them with isopropal alcohol but it doesn't always help. I would definitely look at the board before ordering a new lcd. There are probably youtube videos that can help with the dissasembly.

OP
M

Matt6233

Reaction score
thanks man i started taking it apart but the 2 bottom left screws will not budge.. they're like stripped or something.

OP
M

Matt6233

Reaction score
sadly yes. i was able to bleach the one on the battery though but the the sticker on the phone is solid red :(

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's too bad. Good luck! :)

I know some of the guys at the mall kiosks can do some of this work for you for around $60; might not be a bad investment if you can find one.

OP
M

Matt6233

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm gonna try to get these last two screws out and see if theres board damage and then go from there. I'm just an unemployed college student to this really sucks :(

demonhawk1313

Reaction score
No problem. Hopefully you can get it apart and find the problem. Good luck