Lag while playing games

lognoronon

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
First of all let me say this thing flies in everything I do except for games. I'm not talking about how fast the games themselves are running but rather how fast the screen reacts to my touch while playing. My issue is I need to either long press to register touches or I have do deal with a slight lag after I press on the screen before it reacts. This is happening with a large number of games I have tried. I have tried both dalvik and art and same issue. I hope I don't have a bad phone but I have yet to see any posts about this. I know games working well are not a huge priority but I do mess around here and there with some games and with the power this thing has it seems odd I have this lag. Anyway just posting to see if it's happening with other turbos or if I need to return this thing before my 14 days are up.

TatDroid

Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't game on my phone, but in everyday use I've noticed exactly the opposite. The screen is so sensitive that it's constantly registering a "tap" when I'm trying to scroll or swipe.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I noticed this on dead trigger 2..the game itself was lagging and sound was too.

OP
lognoronon

lognoronon

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Anyone else having issues like this? trying to decide if I need to get a new phone or not.

OP
lognoronon

lognoronon

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Which game did you notice this on?

I would say the majority of games I have tried are doing one of the 2 things. I know the angry birds games have a slight lag after I touch the screen so that's a big game that is having issues I can see. One that comes to mind that is having the long press issue is diamond digger saga. I tested a few of the games on my Rezound to make sure I was not seeing things and it's fine and my droid Maxx had none of these issues. Also don't get me wrong I love this phone so far except for this touch lag in games.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not personally a big gamer BUT gaming IS certainly a big deal for many many smart phone owners and a Flagship device touting immense power and speed should have this as a core deliverable. How does this crap happen? Certain things should just be right and present at jump street. (shaking head)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The funny thing is.. Dead trigger 2 ran just fine on my Droid Maxx... Now the super phone (droid turbo) has big issues? Even with the updated adreno chip and 805 processor?? It's just odd..

But dead trigger 2 also doesn't like the current generation of Galaxy tab 7 either..

MarBearCat

Reaction score
Wouldn't this be more of an issue with the apps and not the phone?

=^.".^=

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
If it was just one game and rest were fine then yes it's an app problem. But this seems like it's a Motorola problem. Nothing that a software update shouldn't be able to fix though.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah this is a device issue.. Not an app issue.. If a game runs fine on the maxx.. Then it should be running fine on the turbo.. But I've found several games that hardly run on the turbo and they run just fine on the maxx.. Definitely curable Via an update..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's just hard to fathom that a device like this can't run a game without lagging.
As you know I am not a fan of the whole "should be fixed in a future update" line of thinking. That's completely unacceptable IMO. There are too many issues popping up on this particular device that fall into this category. (Camera quality, battery life, lag, just to name a few) It's ashame because it really is a nice device overall.

S5 tap'n

STiguy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
turbo
Hope this works. My first post...ever. But I had to share what I experienced with this. I play a lot of games and had the same issue. I disabled the touch to zoom feature and zero problems since. AWESOME device! And thanks for the great site.

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm not personally a big gamer BUT gaming IS certainly a big deal for many many smart phone owners and a Flagship device touting immense power and speed should have this as a core deliverable. How does this crap happen? Certain things should just be right and present at jump street. (shaking head)
If it was just one game and rest were fine then yes it's an app problem. But this seems like it's a Motorola problem. Nothing that a software update shouldn't be able to fix though.
Yeah this is a device issue.. Not an app issue.. If a game runs fine on the maxx.. Then it should be running fine on the turbo.. But I've found several games that hardly run on the turbo and they run just fine on the maxx.. Definitely curable Via an update..
It's just hard to fathom that a device like this can't run a game without lagging.
As you know I am not a fan of the whole "should be fixed in a future update" line of thinking. That's completely unacceptable IMO. There are too many issues popping up on this particular device that fall into this category. (Camera quality, battery life, lag, just to name a few) It's ashame because it really is a nice device overall.

S5 tap'n
Hope this works. My first post...ever. But I had to share what I experienced with this. I play a lot of games and had the same issue. I disabled the touch to zoom feature and zero problems since. AWESOME device! And thanks for the great site.

I do have something to add here. There are times when even the same OS version running on two different hardware architectures will react differently to the same application. Since the OS is not universally built (meaning you can't flash the same version to Samsung, Motorola, Sony, etc.), there will be some apps that will be doing things in one way and when the new hardware comes along the apps themselves need to update to conform to the new way that it has to do the same thing.

This is evident when a new OS is rolling out in the near future and suddenly you will get like 15 apps that will all update on the same day, and then another 5 orr 10 then next day, and by the time the new OS version rolls out most of the apps are updated. In that case, the developers are made aware of the new protocols to follow in coding and are being proactive in retrofitting their apps to conform to the coming changes.

In this situation, the new device is running an existing version of the OS (although customized for this specific hardware configuration), and so it may not be obvious immediately to the app developers that it results in their specific applications from running improperly.

Further the fact that it's just the games in the case of the OP, which are acting erratically points to a specific genre of application which uses a specific method of either graphic rendering, sensor reading, computational function or other manner of coding which is unique to the games. If the unit responded similarly to ALL apps, or even to apps across a moderate variety of applicaiton styles then I might point to a problem with the hardware or firmware design.

IMHO this is a situation of the old software not doing things in a manner conforming to the new hardware, and in all liklihood the new hardware has a more robust and more accurate representation of the OS language which may result in it being less tolerant of minor errors or tricks in coding that may have been used by the devs for the games to make them faster and more responsive, but may be now considered taboo due to any number of reasons, including possible security holes that may have been closed up in the later OS version.

I would be willing to bet that the devs will find out soon enough what their apps are doing that are no longer compliant with Android as it is currently slated and they will revise the coding to conform. This is a very common problem with new hardware being placed into service under older firmware such as new phones on old routers. Same situation, the router firmware updates usually resolve the problem.

As evidenced by @STiguy in the comment immediately above, this may be an issue where (edit; triple tap) to zoom (or for that matter any screen tapping) is handled differently due to the more advanced screen, and the methods that the games use to read those screen touches are no longer the preferred method. Turning it off and having the games perform flawlessly is a clear indication of perhaps only one simple instruction that is common to all those games.

Last edited:

STiguy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
turbo
I wanted to clarify the zoom issue in case it didn't make sense. In the settings, accessibility, magnification gesture is the feature to triple tap and zoom in on any screen. I think it waiting for the quick inputs results in gaming keys not responding correctly. At least that's what happened on my turbo. I believe it was MC4 that I was playing and experiencing lag until I toggled off the magnification gesture. Worth a try anyhow.