Games Not Full Screen on Turbo

Droidfan77

Reaction score
Forgive the ignorance of this post, if this issue has been addressed previously. I have searched this forum, and done multiple Google searches to find out more about this issue, but I couldn't find anything.

I went to Verizon today to check out the Turbo and possibly take the plunge on trading in my Maxx HD. I really like the phone, despite some of the issues I have read about (call volume, camera speed, etc). But I noticed something today that made me put the device down and come home to do more research.

What I noticed is that while the Turbo has capacitive buttons (which I am not thrilled about, but it wasn't a deal breaker before the issue I noticed today), the preloaded games--Angry Birds and a Golf Game--were NOT full screen. They had an on screen button bar with three little dots in them. As far as I could tell, these dots did absolutely nothing but take up screen space. They would not go away. I check other devices that did not have capacitive buttons, including the Note 4 and the Moto X, and for those devices, the preinstalled games were full screen. But on the Turbo, they were not.

The sales rep I asked about this said that this was not a fluke, and that it looked like that button bar is just there and I'll have to deal with it if I got a phone with capacitive buttons. I checked last year's Maxx, and it had the same issue. Is this an issue with how the app developers coded the games, and if so, how widespread is this issue? I am worried that if this is an issue for both preinstalled games, including the ubiquitious Angry Birds, this must be a very widespread issue.

Frankly, this was a shock to me. One of the ways I'd justified being okay with the Capacitive buttons is telling myself, "well, at least I'll have all of my 5.2 inch screen at all times." But it looks like that often won't be the case for a good bit of content. I was set on getting this phone before seeing this, but now I may wait for the Nexus 6 to come out on Verizon. It is bigger than I want my phone to be, but I know that wasted screen real estate will drive me nuts. It takes my annoyance at the capacitive buttons from mild to extreme.

I cannot believe, if this isn't fixable, that I cannot find anything more on this online. So, that is why I am posting here, with the hope that the sales rep was wrong, and there is a fix to this. I want to know if there is something I can do if/when I buy this phone to ensure that my apps are full screen.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've just got a couple games... Including retry which is by Rovio, no button bar. Full screen on the ones I have.
And that goes for every app I use. They are all full screen.
Might be something with the demo mode or something. But I doubt it's because of the capacitive buttons.

OP
Droidfan77

Droidfan77

Reaction score
I've just got a couple games... Including retry which is by Rovio, no button bar. Full screen on the ones I have.
And that goes for every app I use. They are all full screen.
Might be something with the demo mode or something. But I doubt it's because of the capacitive buttons.

Thanks jstafford1, that is encouraging to hear. It struck me as shocking that this might be a widespread issue, and I couldn't find anyone complaining about it. It is weird to me that it would show up on their demo apps. Has anyone run into this? Or has everyone been able to play all of their apps full screen at home? Anyone with Angry Birds mind chiming in? It isn't a game I actually play much, but since it is one of the demo apps that I saw have issues, it would be great to hear that it isn't an issue for this app for home use.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a setting (somewhere) I saw it but can not recall where right now that trims down screen sizes (not sure why) maybe its a power saver. It's a setting though that does that.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't have either of those games preloaded on my Turbo?

TatDroid

Reaction score
I don't have them on my Turbo. Perhaps something specific to showroom demo units?

Sent from my Droid Turbo

1coopgt

Reaction score
Interesting I didn't have any preloaded games on my phone . I bet someone loaded them om to the phone to play around with . That said I do have a few games om mine and they run fine .