Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
koushtether.png

Good news for those who aren't rooted. Our friend Koush, maker of ClockworkMod Recovery along with numerous apps in the market including the ever useful ROM Manager, has released ClockworkMod Tether Alpha, which like other tethering apps allows you to use your phone’s data connection to get internet access on your desktop or laptop. However, his method does not require root. In order to achieve this, the app will need to install a virtual network adapter on your computer; so there is a PC side install. Alright, so it’s no secret that other rootless tethers exist, so what makes this option stand out. Well, aside from its prominent creator, the app functions as a proxy, and not as a NAT/masquerade solution that other tether solutions use. Koush acknowledges carriers can still check for http user agent string, but he has already devised ideas to work around that.

I'd like to remind you all that at this point, this app is still in Alpha stages. As Koush writes
“The UI is pretty rough, the icons, and general app design are not final. I am just looking to make sure the underlying services all work properly.”

Grab it today from these download links.

Windows: http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/TetherWindowsSetup.msi
Linux: http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/tether-linux.tgz
Mac: http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/tether-mac.zip

The above links should automatically install the Android portion if you have USB debugging enabled on the phone, but if something goes awry, here's the Android APK:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/Tether.apk

Koush did not provide any installation instructions as he posted this on Google+

I am intentionally not providing any installation instructions, because I feel that if the app can't be set up without installation instructions, I have failed to make it easy enough to use. ;)
So please provide any feedback you may have if you have a hiccup during installation! (The final market released product will have instructions though)

This version will time bomb on January 7th. I'll release new versions before then, so if the app stops working, just check back here.

Thanks all!

Source: Google+

** DroidForums.net does not condone, endorse, or encourage the use of any Tether Apps. Use at your own discretion.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a question, which I do not bring up to stir up controversy; rather it's been sitting in the back of my mind bothering me; so I have to ask.

Why are threads discussing things like this okay? It's circumventing a PAID service that Verizon provides, and providing unpaid access to a paid service. Now, I am not the moral police, and I have no problem with people doing this personally. As a matter of fact, I spent hours creating my own kernel to do this back in the OG Droid days.

However, why are any threads discussing app piracy OR warranty fraud immediately shut down, yet these threads are allowed to continue? Stealing tethering services from Verizon is no more legal that app piracy or warranty fraud; yet it's thrown around here like it's an acceptable practice.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Cool!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I have a question, which I do not bring up to stir up controversy; rather it's been sitting in the back of my mind bothering me; so I have to ask.

Why are threads discussing things like this okay? It's circumventing a PAID service that Verizon provides, and providing unpaid access to a paid service. Now, I am not the moral police, and I have no problem with people doing this personally. As a matter of fact, I spent hours creating my own kernel to do this back in the OG Droid days.

However, why are any threads discussing app piracy OR warranty fraud immediately shut down, yet these threads are allowed to continue? Stealing tethering services from Verizon is no more legal that app piracy or warranty fraud; yet it's thrown around here like it's an acceptable practice.
Just playing Devils Advocate here...but, this is USB tethering, NOT WiFI/HotSpot tethering, which is where all the brouhaha usually stems from. I havent checked lately, but does Verizon charger for all tethering, or just the WiFi / HotSpot tethering service?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Just playing Devils Advocate here...but, this is USB tethering, NOT WiFI/HotSpot tethering, which is where all the brouhaha usually stems from. I havent checked lately, but does Verizon charger for all tethering, or just the WiFi / HotSpot tethering service?

It does.

Looking at my Bionics Wireless and Network section it has:

Tethering & Hotspot
Share your phone's mobile data connection via USB or as a Mobile Hotspot.

SniperDroid

Reaction score
I have a question, which I do not bring up to stir up controversy;

I don't want to do that either, and the Moderators of the area may even move this to the off topic thread, but here goes.... I'm just a simple user. Not a Developer, or and OP or Ninja. Mostly I lurk around trying to learn. If Android is truly an Open Source product, and I believe it is, there has to be a place to discuss and develop the things that are not yet out there. I would even suspect that Big Red monitors this, and other forums, to learn what is going on in the development community, so they can come up with way's to KEEP MAKING MONEY. That, after all, is their primary reason for existing! Their primary duty to their shareholders is to return as large a profit as they can. Lopping off threads because they may be offensive, or immoral is the wrong path to go down. Each of us knows what is within the bounds of morality, and can choose a path for ourselves. While we may not be well versed on every technically legal or illegal aspect of Application Development, we pretty much know if the carrier charges for a product, and we go around that, were doing a bad thing.... IF we CHOOSE to use it! The first guy to develop a hand held, projectile launching device was not necessarily guilty of murder. Neither am I for having more firearms than teeth. How I choose to use my equipment is up to me. I pay for my sins, and I know the consequences of my actions. Regardless of their legality.

laxman3722

Reaction score
Hmmm wont install for me. "There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact support..."

jtrippe77

Reaction score
Will this app allow us to usb tether our phone to a tablet?

equake

Reaction score
I do not believe VZW charges for any other tethering other than Mobile Hotspot. So USB tethering is completely legitimate. I am using BT tethering with no issues at all albeit it does not fully utilize the 4G but that is a limitation of current BT implementations.

Pspjr13

Reaction score
I don't know that it's exactly illegal to create or use a tethering app just because Verizon wants to charge people who do so. Tethering is not a product, the data that tethering uses is the product. Saying people can't use an alternative tethering app just because they don't pay Verizon for it is like saying people can't use goggle voice because Verizon offers visual voicemail for $2.99/month.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

frankyvee

Reaction score

So is the laptop dock and Web Top illegal to use without paying big Red more money. Basically these two technologies allows you to see what you can see on your phone but on a bigger screen.
I guess PADnet is illegal also and it runs without requiring root. Oh and yes the app does have a one time fee of 24 dollars. I see this app just like PDAnet. I pay Big red over $200 a month, yes they are ripping me off for the service I'm getting. Oh did I mention no 4G in my area either.

azules9780

Reaction score
Quite frankly, I don't give a crap if it is illegal in Verizon's book. I already paid for the data I use so why should I pay to use it again. That should be illegal to me. Now if I were to use it so everyone else can have access to the internet, then that is different but I'm not so... whatever, if I want to use my device in any manner I want, then I should be able to.

To answer your question directly, I think they don't stop it because pirated apps are stealing money from someone's idea. I would be willing to bet that tethering for access was around long before Verizon ever thought about a way to try and make money off of it. Verizon is simply the people who provide the data, they shouldn't have any control over how we get to "our" data and how we use "our" data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

donzz

Reaction score
I have tried all the tethering options and I can't get any of them to work. This one installed without a hitch but I can't get an internet connection. Do I have to have my wi-fi off? Should my phone be on "charge only" or "usb mass storage" or "PC Mode" or "windows media sync"? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Bionic.

gmmurphy

Reaction score
Guess this topic never gets old. Since 3g has been around each phone i have had i figured away to dun wired or wireless.. i pay my fair share $30 on two phones unlimited data $220 total. i do not abuse, not playing xbox just when im in need of internet at the cabin or on the boat. i sleep great. i also take my direct tv box to the cabin and connect it to the dish i put up. i pay the $5 for the box, but is it wrong because dont pay the additional $80 for a second home. same signal diffrent address. im sure some would call it stealing i call it being frugal. this argument will continue forever.