K9 Mail Questions

dogwolf

Reaction score
Droid user since 12/09. Mostly great.

Stock android email client has some stupid features. My most hated is the need to individually delete emails twice, once on the main screen, then again in Trash. No "Select All" function. Google, how could you? And no fix in 2.1!

K9 has been recommended as an alternative.

Questions:

1. In the Market, all I see is "K9 for Pure Widget." Is this the app? Where do I get it?
2. What is Pure Widget?
3. Is it easier to delete emails in K9, than in the android native client?
4. Any other 3rd party mail clients to consider?

THANKS ALL!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
What's APG integration and how do I know if I need it?

Sent from my Droid using TARDIStalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Don't know and couldn't find an answer on the website (I didn't actually spend much time looking for it as I was busy). But I went ahead and installed it. Opened app and did not really see any difference. Program does still work ok though. It just downloaded a bunch of emails.

If you stick with K-9, you will find that you need to go to that page frequently because they do not keep up to date in the market.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I just downloaded & tried the latest non beta and I still have the same problem I had with the last market update -- half my emails show up in the list with no info. Do you know how to fix this?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded & tried the latest non beta and I still have the same problem I had with the last market update -- half my emails show up in the list with no info. Do you know how to fix this?

I suspect you have a corrupted data/cache. Try deleting the cache from K-9. If that doesn't solve the problem, try getting rid of the emails on your source (server) account and start from scratch. You may be downloading a corrupted email each time you try to install and configure K-9.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Don't know and couldn't find an answer on the website (I didn't actually spend much time looking for it as I was busy). But I went ahead and installed it. Opened app and did not really see any difference. Program does still work ok though. It just downloaded a bunch of emails.

If you stick with K-9, you will find that you need to go to that page frequently because they do not keep up to date in the market.

I began experiencing problems with K-9 a couple of days ago and uninstalled and reinstalled from the Market. Still had problems so I went to the website and downloaded 2.9.00 "release" version and my problems went away. Best advice, I think, is to stick with the latest version marked as "release."

I haven't found it necessary to download from the developer website very often (twice, I believe, in the last five months), but it is usually a good idea to stay as current as possible.

carbine

Reaction score

APG is a PGP/GPG encryption application for Android. Unless you have the needs to do private/public keypair encryption in your email you will not need this. Basically it allows you to share your encryption key with a friend and send them email messages readable by them.

More on PGP/GPG encryption: Pretty Good Privacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score

I suspect you have a corrupted data/cache. Try deleting the cache from K-9. If that doesn't solve the problem, try getting rid of the emails on your source (server) account and start from scratch. You may be downloading a corrupted email each time you try to install and configure K-9.

I don't think that's it I have a number of email accounts on different servers; they can't all be corrupted. And they all download fine using the stock email app and on any PC.
I have tried clearing the cache and uninstalling/reinstalling. K-9. It's always the same for the last few versions I've tried. The first 12 (most recent) emails of any email account display without any sender/recipient /correct timestamp; all "no subject". This is unacceptable; who wants to open mystery mail?
I guess I'll try emailing the dev about it cos I really liked K-9 before this happened.
Also, I just tried MailDroid, and it retrieved all the emails K-9 had trouble with, intact.
So it's a K-9 thing, on my Moto Droid, anyway.
This happens as soon as I install K-9, even when the phone has been totally reset to factory spec. Can it be installing with a corrupt cache?
I know I'm not the only one with this issue cos I've seen it mentioned in the market comments.
Maybe the dev can shed some light.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I don't think that's it I have a number of email accounts on different servers; they can't all be corrupted. And they all download fine using the stock email app and on any PC.
I have tried clearing the cache and uninstalling/reinstalling. K-9. It's always the same for the last few versions I've tried. The first 12 (most recent) emails of any email account display without any sender/recipient /correct timestamp; all "no subject". This is unacceptable; who wants to open mystery mail?
I guess I'll try emailing the dev about it cos I really liked K-9 before this happened.
Also, I just tried MailDroid, and it retrieved all the emails K-9 had trouble with, intact.
So it's a K-9 thing, on my Moto Droid, anyway.
This happens as soon as I install K-9, even when the phone has been totally reset to factory spec. Can it be installing with a corrupt cache?
I know I'm not the only one with this issue cos I've seen it mentioned in the market comments.
Maybe the dev can shed some light.

Sounds like you've done your homework on the issue. Unfortunately, the nature of the K-9 project makes it a bit difficult (at least for me) to determine who's in charge and whom to ask when you run into problems. Unlike a traditional product sponsored by a firm, it's a cooperative effort among a group of independent developers. Great for churning out interesting code and approaches; somewhat more difficult for users to get unified support for releases.

I use K-9 somewhat differently than you're apparently trying to do. I aggregate emails from various servers in gmail and then point K-9 at my gmail account. That simplifies the work that K-9 has to do in sorting through various sources and allows me to rely on gmail for that work. Of course, that works well only because I don't use either Yahoo or Hotmail, both of which are known for causing problems when mail is forwarded to other email clients (or servers.)

If all else fails, perhaps you can use gmail to consolidate (and "folder-ize") email from your various accounts and then pass the emails to K-9.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
That's a thought. I might wait and see what Froyo brings; maybe on Froyo K-9 will work the way it used to in the beginning.
I'm also going to look at MailDroid when it comes out of beta.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

maildroiddev

Reaction score
That's a thought. I might wait and see what Froyo brings; maybe on Froyo K-9 will work the way it used to in the beginning.
I'm also going to look at MailDroid when it comes out of beta.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

sounds good to me. If you have feedback or comments, please send me an email as I would love to hear.