just switched from bb tour to droid pro. im so confused right now. please help

johnpalley

Reaction score
guys i need some help with some very basic questions.

1. when the phone times out its extremely annoying because i have to hit the button on the top of the phone to get the phone to work again. i wanna be able to hit the space bar or any key instead. can i do this somehow?

2. when im on the home screen and i start typing numbers it wont let me start typing a phone number to call like with bb's. its making me type letters in some sort of google search function. i dont know what the hell that is but i want it to work like a bb and let me dial a phone number and search contacts only when i start typing from the home screen.

3. you know how theres extra home screens when you drag your finger horizontally left and right? can i get rid of that function so i just

have 1 home screen. all i need is 1 and thats just another thing to confuse the hell outta me

4. how can i get the calculator on my home page?

5. how can i make the right side key the text messages app instead of calenders?

i appreciate the help guys. its gonna take me a while to get used to this phone after having a bb for years

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

1. when the phone times out its extremely annoying because i have to hit the button on the top of the phone to get the phone to work again. i wanna be able to hit the space bar or any key instead. can i do this somehow?

2. when im on the home screen and i start typing numbers it wont let me start typing a phone number to call like with bb's. its making me type letters in some sort of google search function. i dont know what the hell that is but i want it to work like a bb and let me dial a phone number and search contacts only when i start typing from the home screen.

3. on my home screen i see 4 icons. text mess,browser, market and voicemail. i wanna add the calculater, a weather app, and the google calender all on 1 screen. can i do that? if so how?

4. you know how theres extra home screens when you drag your finger horizontally left and right? can i get rid of that function so i just have 1 home screen. all i need is 1 and thats just another thing to confuse the hell outta me

i appreciate the help guys. its gonna take me a while to get used to this phone after having a bb for years

1. Download an app called Screebl. Just like I spelled it. A video will show you how to use it.

2. Droid doesn't do numbers from the home screen. It wants a name of the person you're calling. If you want to dial a number you'll have to bring the phone up.

3. Open your app drawer, long press on the icon you want to appear on your home screen and it will appear there.

4. You're the first person I've ever seen complain about the home screens. Most people want them, me, I could get by with 3. I don't think there is an app that gives less home screens.

Droid is a learning process. It's not a Blackberry so it's best if you forget everything you knew about a Blackberry. You can do everything you want to with it, just when you have questions continue to come back here and we will try and help. There is going to be a learning curve and not everyone makes it but the vast majority do. Then you'll wonder why you liked that ancient piece of technology.;)

Hope this helped.

OP
J

johnpalley

Reaction score

3. on my home screen i see 4 icons. text mess,browser, market and voicemail. i wanna add the calculater, a weather app, and the google calender all on 1 screen. can i do that? if so how?

4. you know how theres extra home screens when you drag your finger horizontally left and right? can i get rid of that function so i just have 1 home screen. all i need is 1 and thats just another thing to confuse the hell outta me

1. Download an app called Screebl. Just like I spelled it. A video will show you how to use it.

2. Droid doesn't do numbers from the home screen. It wants a name of the person you're calling. If you want to dial a number you'll have to bring the phone up.

3. Open your app drawer, long press on the icon you want to appear on your home screen and it will appear there.

4. You're the first person I've ever seen complain about the home screens. Most people want them, me, I could get by with 3. I don't think there is an app that gives less home screens.

Droid is a learning process. It's not a Blackberry so it's best if you forget everything you knew about a Blackberry. You can do everything you want to with it, just when you have questions continue to come back here and we will try and help. There is going to be a learning curve and not everyone makes it but the vast majority do. Then you'll wonder why you liked that ancient piece of technology.;)

Hope this helped.

thanks. i get that you cant dial a number from the home screen but can i make it so when i start typing letters my contacts pop on the screen matching the letters?

so i gotta pay for Screebl? i cant get Screebl lite which is a free app?

Beka27

Reaction score
With LauncherPro you can decrease the number of home screens. There is a free and paid version in the market. Not sure of any other apps that can do this. I reduced my number of screens to 3 and was able to add them on an "as needed" basis. I also didn't like having too many screens at first.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Beka27

Reaction score
I wasn't sure so I just checked... You can reduce your screens down to one with LP, altho I prefer having 3 myself. Main page is "clean" with just clock, date, and battery. The other pages have my commonly used apps ready to go. You might really like the dock option on LP too. You can navigate without leaving your main page.

OP
J

johnpalley

Reaction score
I wasn't sure so I just checked... You can reduce your screens down to one with LP, altho I prefer having 3 myself. Main page is "clean" with just clock, date, and battery. The other pages have my commonly used apps ready to go. You might really like the dock option on LP too. You can navigate without leaving your main page.

thanks Beka27. im def gonna narrow the home screens down to 1. everything fits perfect since i got rid of the icon of that dude talkin on the top of the screen

Beka27

Reaction score
As you add stuff you'll prob need more screens, but for now, keep it simple. :eek:)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hope this helped.

thanks. i get that you cant dial a number from the home screen but can i make it so when i start typing letters my contacts pop on the screen matching the letters?

I'm giving you the basics on Droid in general. I don't have the Pro so as far as calling someone from the home screen I'm not certain.

You can use Screebl lite, but for the really good apps you ought to consider spending a couple of bucks. Developers deserve something for their work. But that's up to you. I feel Screebl is so important that I got the paid version just to help the dev out.

OP
J

johnpalley

Reaction score

Hope this helped.

I'm giving you the basics on Droid in general. I don't have the Pro so as far as calling someone from the home screen I'm not certain.

You can use Screebl lite, but for the really good apps you ought to consider spending a couple of bucks. Developers deserve something for their work. But that's up to you. I feel Screebl is so important that I got the paid version just to help the dev out.

i just downloaded Screebl. nice! it even got rid of that annoying lock. thanks!

OP
J

johnpalley

Reaction score
ok now were gettin somewhere. i still need to find out the answers to these question below

4. how can i get the calculator on my home page?

6. i get that you cant dial a number from the home screen but can i make it so when i start typing letters my contacts pop on the screen matching the letters?

o no, i thought Screebl was working but now its not. what do i have to do to make it work? when i hit the spacebar the phone doesnt turn on. i got a check in the box that says enabled but i dont know what to do in the preferences?

bwhite757

Reaction score
4. Open your icon list (app drawer) press and hold the calculator icon until your homescreen appears, then move and drop it where you want it on your homescreen.

6. The android system doesn't have this option. Android was not built with this feature in mind as the Pro is the first of its kind, and Motorola didn't add the feature in. If you're willing to add another homescreen you can add shortcuts kinda like speed dial icons. I'm not going to try to explain as its kinda long winded and I've been typing on this keyboard all day.

Youtube/Google is your friend. There are tons of helpful videos on Android features on Youtube.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

OP
J

johnpalley

Reaction score
4. Open your icon list (app drawer) press and hold the calculator icon until your homescreen appears, then move and drop it where you want it on your homescreen.

6. The android system doesn't have this option. Android was not built with this feature in mind as the Pro is the first of its kind, and Motorola didn't add the feature in. If you're willing to add another homescreen you can add shortcuts kinda like speed dial icons. I'm not going to try to explain as its kinda long winded and I've been typing on this keyboard all day.

Youtube/Google is your friend. There are tons of helpful videos on Android features on Youtube.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

thanks for that answer on #4. i just dragged the contacts icon to the home screen so that makes things a little easier. the perfect thing would be if i could make the space bar the contacts. damn im gonna miss the trackpad. its kinda hard making calls with one hand, especially if i have to select a contact at the top of the screen

medwa

Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of android! I understand that switching from a phone and platform that you're comfortable with can be confusing and sometimes frustrating. My advice to you is to try not to focus on the minor differences between the two devices, but on the amazing things you can do with your Droid pro.

Try to have fun exploring the new possibilities and you will be wondering what you ever even liked about your bb.

Posted from my Droid Incredible

OP
J

johnpalley

Reaction score
guys i just wanted to tell you all that after i just had a conversation on the speaker phone i decided that theres no way i can keep the droid pro. the speaker phone is horrible and it was hard to even understand people talk. i use the speaker most of the time. my bb tours speaker phone is so crisp, loud, and clear compared to the pro. on top of that the pro is just too hard to use to make a simple phone call. i was so confident at first that i was gonna keep the pro permanently but its just too hard to use for basic functions. my opinion is that the pro should have a trackpad also. you shouldnt have to touch the screen to make a phone call . i appreciate blackberries alot more now. thanks for all your help guys

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
guys i just wanted to tell you all that after i just had a conversation on the speaker phone i decided that theres no way i can keep the droid pro. the speaker phone is horrible and it was hard to even understand people talk. i use the speaker most of the time. my bb tours speaker phone is so crisp, loud, and clear compared to the pro. on top of that the pro is just too hard to use to make a simple phone call. i was so confident at first that i was gonna keep the pro permanently but its just too hard to use for basic functions. my opinion is that the pro should have a trackpad also. you shouldnt have to touch the screen to make a phone call . i appreciate blackberries alot more now. thanks for all your help guys

Hey, good luck to you. As I say frequently the Droid isn't for everybody. I don't have any issues with my speaker on my D2 so it may just be a phone issue, but some people are more comfortable with Blackberry. Totally understandable.