**Please help!!** Typing issues.

merylj82

Reaction score
My husband and I just got the Droid Pro. We were previously BB users. Understandably, some things are driving us nuts about this phone and I wondered if there is any way to fix them that we just aren't seeing.

Main issue we would like resolved:

On BB, if you typed "il", it would replaced it with I'll. Same with "im" (I'm) and so on...It seems that certain words (don't, won't, he'll...) will automatically come up when typing on the Pro, but we cannot, even after searching everywhere figure out how to make a simple I'll or I'm show up without having to physically type the apostrophe. In short, is this possible, like it was on BB??

Thank you SO much for any help!!!

D

dankarlinski

For that, you'll just have to watch the auto correct on the keyboard. I came from a blackberry, and its a huge change, but you'll get used to it quickly. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
merylj82

merylj82

Reaction score

When using autocorrect, however, it doesn't autocorrect things like I'll and I'm. They just type out as ill and im. Am I to understand that it only does certain words, like don't and won't, and others like I'll and I'm we will have to insert the apostrophe ourselves...?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
My husband and I just got the Droid Pro. We were previously BB users. Understandably, some things are driving us nuts about this phone and I wondered if there is any way to fix them that we just aren't seeing.

Main issue we would like resolved:

On BB, if you typed "il", it would replaced it with I'll. Same with "im" (I'm) and so on...It seems that certain words (don't, won't, he'll...) will automatically come up when typing on the Pro, but we cannot, even after searching everywhere figure out how to make a simple I'll or I'm show up without having to physically type the apostrophe. In short, is this possible, like it was on BB??

Thank you SO much for any help!!![/QUOTE
If you type "ill" wanting "I'll", look at the bottom of your screen and you'll see the auto recommend line. In that line you'll see "I'll', touch it and it will replace the "ill" in your text.

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
I've had that problem when I first switched to the Pro from a Tour also and it really annoyed the heck out of me.
What you guys can do is download an app/keyboard called "smart keyboard" and it will solve all your typing issues. I've used it and it seems like I'm typing on a BB keyboard again. Trust me its worth it.

OP
merylj82

merylj82

Reaction score
Reply to jpcalhoun

Ok, when I turn the suggestions on, it only works when I'm using the touchscreen keyboard, not when using the normal keyboard at the bottom of the phone. Is there a way to make these suggestions show up when using that keyboard?? Reason I ask is because my husband will not use the touchscreen keyboard.

Thanks!

OP
merylj82

merylj82

Reaction score
@Kaos2flo
Wow! Awesome app for sure.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok, when I turn the suggestions on, it only works when I'm using the touchscreen keyboard, not when using the normal keyboard at the bottom of the phone. Is there a way to make these suggestions show up when using that keyboard?? Reason I ask is because my husband will not use the touchscreen keyboard.

Thanks!
The "suggestions" should be visible whether you are using the touch screen keyboard or the qwerty keyboard. Go to menu>language&keyboard>device keyboard>then select the auto functions you want. Do the same for Multi touch keyboard

jwgraves

Reaction score
just tried the trial version of smart keyboard and it is amazing! almost like typing on my old BB.....I don' want to have to select from a list of some of the most common contractions (like I'm, you're, you'll, etc), I want my phone to do it for me automatically. Nice app.

kjjb0204

Reaction score
+1 on smartkeyboard. Love that you can create custom entries like always changing il to I'll and im to I'm.

Freak4Dell

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the tip on Smart Keyboard. I've been wanting a keyboard that isn't ridiculously intrusive like all the Android keyboards seem to be. I just want it to capitalize the first letter of the sentence and add apostrophes where necessary, and perhaps fix very common spelling mistakes without replacing the word with something completely different. It seems Smart Keyboard does exactly that.

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Yeah smart keyboard is definitely the best keyboard I've tried for the Pro. Its really like having a BB again. Good times. haha