Just got a Droid Maxx

Monshroud

Reaction score
So today I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from a R2-D2 Droid 2 to a Droid Maxx. I had been looking for a phone to upgrade to since around the time the iPhone 5 came out. When I had heard about the Moto X, I decided to wait until the official specs were out before making a decision. That was a long wait, but after finding out all the customization options were on AT&T for an unknown amount of time, I decided to give the Maxx a try.

I decided to pay full price to keep my unlimited data plan. Verizon had an option where I could distribute the phone cost over a year and I left the store paying less than $200 for it (with accessories). Granted I will have higher monthly bills for a year. I seriously thought of moving my family on to a 8GB share everything plan so I could get tethering, and then I realized that I have gone this long with out it and so, maybe I don't "need" it. I had also considered dropping my unlimited to just pay less for the phone but then I remembered hearing from so many folk talk about how after going to 4G, how they would now use up much more data per month then they had before. Oh, and it was going to cost me an extra $15 a month on that plan than I pay now.

I had seriously considered the SGS4 and the HTC One. While the HTC is a nice phone, I know a few people who have had nothing but problems with HTC phones in the past, and while on the boards people seem to like them, I chose to value the opinion of the people I knew over the anonymous ones I didn't. I was really close to getting a SGS4. I like the phone and I know others who have it and enjoy it. Considered the Note, but it is just too big for me.

So why did I get the Droid Maxx? To be perfectly honest, I decided to take a chance. I think their X8 processor idea is a good one. Being in the I.T. industry and after reading that interview with one of the developers, it made me think. More cores doesn't mean a better experience. I have seen too many times people buy servers with these high multi-core processors and then watch them run at 15% all day. I was really worried about the lack of 1080 display too. Then I remembered I have been on a 850x480 display since the OG Droid, so 1280x720 was still a solid jump up and I don't think from a watching video perspective you need Full HD on a 5 inch display. That's just my opinion though. Text was clearer on the SGS4 to me, but not so much that I felt the Maxx was lacking.

While the Ultra probably would have been fine for me, I don't think I have ever heard someone complain about having more battery life, so it seemed like the right choice.

I have only played with it for an hour or so now, and I realize the following:
1> Going from Froyo to Jelly Bean is a HUGE change
2> I suck at using a virtual keyboard

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading it if you did.

- Monshroud

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Congrats on picking up the Maxx. I am also intrigued by their choice of internal hardware, but from what I've read/seen it's all positive. I like the approach Moto is taking aiming their lineup towards the general public rather than the spec-junkie.

1. Yes it almost seems like a different OS doesn't it? I'm sure you'll enjoy the OS upgrades and the improvements
2. Hard to get used to at first, but after a month or two I think you'll enjoy it. I had the OG Droid and never enjoyed the QWERTY, the keys were way too small for me.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Just got mine yesterday, learning curve is always a challenge but worthwhile at the least. Little nits, aimed at apps. Why is there no alphabet on the side of contacts???? No phone icon when you find the contact??? Doh so simple.

doogald

Reaction score
I upgraded from a droid 3. Try typing while holding the phone landscape - that keyboard should be closer to what you are used to from the D2.

NOVICE

Reaction score
I congratulate you for maintaining your unlimited. Wish I had done the same.

doogald

Reaction score
Just got mine yesterday, learning curve is always a challenge but worthwhile at the least. Little nits, aimed at apps. Why is there no alphabet on the side of contacts???? No phone icon when you find the contact??? Doh so simple.

If you drag down on the right hand side of the contact list, where the scroll bar is, as you scroll letters of the alphabet appear as you scroll past.

If you tap the phone number in the contact list, it will make the call.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Realized that, so much easier to poke the letter, might miss it by one letter. The emphasize is that it moved backwards as user friendly. Every update brings changes to the landscape of devices. Some people like the change and some people don't. I just think it's easier (big touch screen) to thumb over and have an idea where your thumb will land. the little phone icon, why not just leave it in there. I was just nit picking the change from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2. Lets really nit, why did they change the name again? People/Contacts? Really? Are programmers hired to work on alternating versions of the same program? The alphabet didn't hurt to have it there. Contact's picture flipped from one side to the other, so now the picture is under your thumb scrolling, instead of names. The eye can sense a picture faster than a name, but your thumb is now scrolling on top of their pics.

Last edited:

RONL98

Reaction score
Congrats n its finally nice to hear some real positive user feedback. I did also walk into the store yesterday n played with both sgs4 n maxx. My only debating question is the sd card! I have so much stuff on my 16g card now plus I already filled it up once already!. How do u like the fact with no sd card

doogald

Reaction score
Congrats n its finally nice to hear some real positive user feedback. I did also walk into the store yesterday n played with both sgs4 n maxx. My only debating question is the sd card! I have so much stuff on my 16g card now plus I already filled it up once already!. How do u like the fact with no sd card

I'm fine with it. I had a 32 GB card in my last phone anyway. All of my photos get uploaded to dropbox automatically so they can all be deleted whenever, and Ive never used my phone to listen to music (mostly to save battery; obviously, that is no longer a concern). If I do, I'll just use google play music (where I have my entire library uploaded) or pandora. I've got a 4GB shared data plan and I never come close to reaching the limit.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting this phone. I have the Note 2 and I really like it. The Maxx would offer the same or more battery life and a more stock experience. I didn't realize how much I missed that experience until I picked up the Nexus 7 tablet released this year. I read another article that said that Verizon is going to gave a plan this week to offer those on an unlimited plan to use the new edge program and spread out the full phone price over 24 months and for the $30 instead of unlimited data you will get 6gb. My wife and I have unlimited data but she uses maybe a gig or two a month. If I upgraded my Note 2 I would have to pay full retail then with the edge line I would create for my wife's line I could upgrade phones every 6 months after half of the phone was paid off. I'm just unsure if I want to get those phone or wait for the Moto X or LgG2 lg.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
So why did I get the Droid Maxx? To be perfectly honest, I decided to take a chance. I think their X8 processor idea is a good one. Being in the I.T. industry and after reading that interview with one of the developers, it made me think. More cores doesn't mean a better experience. I have seen too many times people buy servers with these high multi-core processors and then watch them run at 15% all day.

- Monshroud

Good point, I have a quad core in my Note 2 and two of the cores are always asleep even when I'm doing something taxing!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Most apps aren't made to take advantage of dual cores, a dual core app is compatible with quad core or eight cores. The advantage of quad cores vs. dual cores are negligible at best. Buy into the hype to perpetuate the more cores are better mentality.

moset

Reaction score
Is it apps or the OS that doesn't take a advantage of multiple cores? It seems that ICS didn't activate the second core of dual core processor. Or am I off base with that observation?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Both the OS and apps have to be written to achieve optimal speed vs. power consumption.

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

OP
Monshroud

Monshroud

Reaction score

Sorry, I was away on a business trip and did not mean to ignore you. I only had 16GB in my R2-D2, so going to 32GB is a big jump for me. Over the last week I took numerous 30 second - 4 minute videos as well as 100+ pictures and I still have room to spare. I only have about 6GB of music on it, but I don't look to my phone to keep my entire music library, just a few hundred songs to cycle through while driving in the car or whatnot.

Also unlike some people, I don't download every app under the sun and leave everything installed. I guess my point is that I don't think not having a SD card slot is all that big of a deal.