get Droid Maxx and keep Unlimited plan

cjj2d

Reaction score
a couple of questions,

first is: Does Best Buy or Verizon match Amazon's price? They have the Droid Maxx for $199

second: my wife has been due for an upgrade (has Nexus) but likes her nexus, I have the bionic and am going to get the Maxx. Can I order the Maxx from Amazon using her phone line/upgrade then just activate it on my line that way I keep my unlimited plan? If I transfer the upgrade to my line Verizon is going to make me choose a new data plan.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Yes you can do that and that is exactly how you do it. You need to make sure amazon will allow you to transfer the phone to your number. Some third party sellers require you to keep the phone active on the upgraded line for X amount of months otherwise they charge you full retail price.

OP
C

cjj2d

Reaction score
Yes you can do that and that is exactly how you do it. You need to make sure amazon will allow you to transfer the phone to your number. Some third party sellers require you to keep the phone active on the upgraded line for X amount of months otherwise they charge you full retail price.

Ordered it from Amazon, $249, read all the fine print to make sure I could do this. Its says that if I switch the phone to another line and terminate the line I bought it for I would be charged a fee if its before the contract end. As long as I keep the phone number/line active I should be good. (which I have no plan on cancelling it).

I will let you know if it works as planned.

georgemovie

Reaction score
i just ordered the droid maxx and kept my unlimmited data!

i just ordered my droid maxx for $299, from verizonwireless.com upgrade tab, and kept my unlimited data.

yesterday, i read that people were pre-ordering the galaxy s3, and were able to keep their unlimited data too. i have no desire for that huge phone, so i thought i would try my luck and just order the droid maxx and to my surprise it worked! i was able keep my unlimited data plan. not sure why it worked, but perhaps because i am out of contract and was just on a month to month service.

finally, it says that i'm going to get a bill credit for the (ridiculous) $30 upgrade fee that I was charged.

hope this info helps anyone else looking to upgrade their phone. i currently have the droid razr maxx hd, and not sure which phone i'm going to keep. the new droid maxx doesn't have hdmi out.

paz!

a couple of questions,

first is: Does Best Buy or Verizon match Amazon's price? They have the Droid Maxx for $199

second: my wife has been due for an upgrade (has Nexus) but likes her nexus, I have the bionic and am going to get the Maxx. Can I order the Maxx from Amazon using her phone line/upgrade then just activate it on my line that way I keep my unlimited plan? If I transfer the upgrade to my line Verizon is going to make me choose a new data plan.

OP
C

cjj2d

Reaction score
success!

got it activated and switched over, unlimited plan still in place!

georgemovie

Reaction score
awesome news... congrats!

did you go into the store to get it activated? online? or call in?

i'm getting my new droid maxx this thursday and very excited.

does anyone know if i can just sell it, without getting it activated? does it need to be activated first? i don't want them to bill later for the full retail price.

thanks!

success!

got it activated and switched over, unlimited plan still in place!

Big D

Reaction score
I went in resigned that my unlimited was going away. Had to upgrade my Unlimited line - no way around it. Damn. Did the deal, got home and not only did I retain Unlimited, but the upgrade never registered. I was then able to transfer my upgrade that still showed to my wife's line and she got am iphone (blah).

Never in my 20 year history there has that ever happened.

OP
C

cjj2d

Reaction score
I went in resigned that my unlimited was going away. Had to upgrade my Unlimited line - no way around it. Damn. Did the deal, got home and not only did I retain Unlimited, but the upgrade never registered. I was then able to transfer my upgrade that still showed to my wife's line and she got am iphone (blah).

Never in my 20 year history there has that ever happened.

was it over the weekend? there was a glitch that allowed this to happen. check this >>> Verizon glitch let unlimited data customers upgrade phones | Mobile - CNET News

I wish I could have caught this, would have been easier. but oh well, its all good now. now ready to test this sucker out. fully charged it up over night and started at 7am to see how long it can go. so far i love this phone, but have not dug in too deep

Big D

Reaction score
Actually, I got mine about 10 days ago.

Honestly can't believe I lucked into that. That's so not me.

Hahaha.

OP
C

cjj2d

Reaction score
loving the phone so far.

started this morning at 7am with full charge and have been using it quite a bit, lots of browsing, texting, apps, etc... and 14 hours in am still at 56% battery left.

moto connect for phone and computer is pretty cool too.

jfriend33

Reaction score
You guys are over paying if you pay the full 299. Even 199.

I used a promo code and got 30% off, and then also did the Motorola trade up at Verizon and got $100 applied to my account.

The sad thing is, had I ordered from comcast promotions I could have a 100 visa headed my way in a few weeks, bringing the total cost of the phone to 9.99 plus tax and upgrade fee. But I'm happy with 109 that's for sure!

Sent from my XT1080m using Droid Forums

Big D

Reaction score
I'd love to know what that promo code is. I just spent a good 45 minutes on the phone with a slew of verizon people who knew nothing of a promotion code.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Verizon30. But you can't get it now and keep unlimited unless you pay retail.