Looking for information on how to mirror a Maxx

tmal2

Reaction score
I've currently got a Razr Maxx which has an HDMI out port which I use on a regular basis. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Droid Maxx and I'm trying to find out exactly what I have to do to show my phones display on my HDTV. The main thing I'm interested in is being able to watch Netflix on my TV while streaming it to my phone.
I've read that the new MAxx comes with Miracast but I'm a little confused about what that is and how it works. Could someone please explain what I need to do and have to be able to watch Netflix on my TV going through the Droid Maxx.

Thanks

unbesorgt

Reaction score
If you mainly want to watch Netflix as you say, then mirroring is not necessary. I use Chromecast with my Maxx and it works great with Netflix, Youtube, Google Music, and Google Play Movies. Only $35 for the device. Best Buy usually has them in stock now.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Wow, really sucks that Motorola ditched microHDMI. They were one of the few companies to support, and I loved it on my Bionic.

It might have MHL, but unbesorgt suggestion is probably the best.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Wow, that really sucks then.

OP
T

tmal2

Reaction score
If you mainly want to watch Netflix as you say, then mirroring is not necessary. I use Chromecast with my Maxx and it works great with Netflix, Youtube, Google Music, and Google Play Movies. Only $35 for the device. Best Buy usually has them in stock now.
I'm a little confused. How do you use Chromecast with your Maxx? Are you saying that you turn your Maxx into a hotspot and have Chromecast connect to it to stream the video?

The reason I'm trying to figure this all out is so that I can watch Netflix on my boat. I currently use my Razr Maxx for this. I stream Netflix to my phone and use the HDMI out to mirror it on my TV. What do you think is the best way to accomplish this?

edon82

Reaction score
I'm a little confused. How do you use Chromecast with your Maxx? Are you saying that you turn your Maxx into a hotspot and have Chromecast connect to it to stream the video?

The reason I'm trying to figure this all out is so that I can watch Netflix on my boat. I currently use my Razr Maxx for this. I stream Netflix to my phone and use the HDMI out to mirror it on my TV. What do you think is the best way to accomplish this?

Chomecast is a HDMI device that hooks to your TV and allow you to stream certain apps including Netflix and u can get it on Amazon to a little over $30...there's also devices that use mirarcast witch let's u fully mirror the phone but they seem to be more expensive

Bratster2

Reaction score
I think the OPs question is, how does that work internet wise.

He is on a boat so my guess is no internet besides his phone.

Can the chrome cast join a phones hotspot and work ?

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Hmm the boat creates an issue because you do need WiFi for Chromecast to work. Not sure if Miracast requires WiFi, anyone know?

<edit> Just checked out donzz's link and it sounds like Miracast uses WiFi direct, which should mean it doesn't require a WiFi network. So that's probably your best bet.

OP
T

tmal2

Reaction score
I think the OPs question is, how does that work internet wise.

He is on a boat so my guess is no internet besides his phone.

Can the chrome cast join a phones hotspot and work ?

That's exactly what I was wondering

OP
T

tmal2

Reaction score
Hmm the boat creates an issue because you do need WiFi for Chromecast to work. Not sure if Miracast requires WiFi, anyone know?

<edit> Just checked out donzz's link and it sounds like Miracast uses WiFi direct, which should mean it doesn't require a WiFi network. So that's probably your best bet.

That's what I was thinking too but was hoping someone could confirm it for me.