Just gave up my Droid.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Born in Braddock, Lived in Turtle Creek...Now in MD
Do you know Arnold Slick from Turtle Crick (Mike Lange - Penguins)

As for VZW Coverage in Pittsburgh - it's fantastic, unless you're in some rural areas in Butler County or in Greene County in the boondocks. The areas you are talking about where you dropped a call had to be just a fluke. The Pittsburgh area is so well covered by VZW they have a Call Center in Cranberry Twp. and other major facilities in Bridgeville. Any time I went to Ross Park Mall and talked to the T-M reps they were almost apologetic when they would show me the best coverage areas.

You say how high your first month bills were, but you didn't bother to tell us how much of that first month was pro-rated and then the month ahead was a full month. The following bill would have been a regular bill.

I don't think you were trolling, I just think you gave up to quickly. With T-M yes, you might get it cheaper, but you certainly are going to get what you pay for. Heck, you might have checked out Cricket unlimited plans before going back to T-M. They're even cheaper yet, but good luck with reliability.

That could be it--if you are new to Verizon, that forward billing is a big shock for sure. I've been on Verizon so long I had almost forgotten that on Verizon, you pay ahead. Makes that first month seem astronomical.

But he did say his coverage wasn't good, which I also find surprising. I haven't been in that area for years, but ten years ago Verizon had great coverage there and I can't see why it would have gone down.
Paying for the month ahead means you're on a "post pay" plan. So, no matter if it's Sprint, VZW, T-M, AT&Tingular, unless you are pre-pay, you're paying for the month ahead.

And, the coverage is excellent 10 years later in da burgh. Even through the tunnels.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score
I'm sorry but anyone in Pittsburgh that says T-Mobile is better than Verizon is either on drugs or trolling. T-Mobile is very close to not even being usable in Pittsburgh. Anyone I know with T-Mobile downtown can't even use their data plan.

If you say so man. But I am out in the west hills and I have not seen this.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score
i would rather use a beeper and payphones before i would goto T-Mobile they have the worse service in america.

even metro PCS is rated higher for coverage......

Sentiment like this is why I did not even shop around before getting my droid. I felt the same way and went straight to Verizon and their big red maps. Then I'm out with my business partner and I'm dropping calls on my droid while she is having no problem on her T-Mobile G1. With all due respect to "the ratings", I had to go with what I was seeing with my own eyes.

I've always had the sort of job that required me to visit manufacturing plants all over the country. So yes, lots of time in the boonies. Verizon has always been the best choice for me because of the areas I frequently find myself visiting. I was once forced to use Sprint for my work phone and just stopped giving clients my cell number since I couldn't use it a lot of the time.

But I know that for some people, depending upon where they live and how much and where they travel, other networks are just fine. All of them are cheaper than Verizon, no question.

If you are a very local user, you may do better on a different network. I'm still confused about how you had a $300 usage bill with Verizon though. Verizon isn't inexpensive, but that charge seems very high to me.

The $300 was just the first bill because Verizon charges for what you have used, and then a month ahead.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score
I live in Pittsburgh, Droid works flawlessly. I work downtown.

As for VZW Coverage in Pittsburgh - it's fantastic, unless you're in some rural areas in Butler County or in Greene County in the boondocks. The areas you are talking about where you dropped a call had to be just a fluke. The Pittsburgh area is so well covered by VZW they have a Call Center in Cranberry Twp. and other major facilities in Bridgeville. Any time I went to Ross Park Mall and talked to the T-M reps they were almost apologetic when they would show me the best coverage areas.

You say how high your first month bills were, but you didn't bother to tell us how much of that first month was pro-rated and then the month ahead was a full month. The following bill would have been a regular bill.

I don't think you were trolling, I just think you gave up to quickly. With T-M yes, you might get it cheaper, but you certainly are going to get what you pay for. Heck, you might have checked out Cricket unlimited plans before going back to T-M. They're even cheaper yet, but good luck with reliability.

Edit: After I replied I read the rest of the posts and I see you do mention that your first bill was higher because of the pro rates.

Hell yeah I know Arnold - I even bought his brother Sam a drink AND his dog one too ;)

I also failed to mention that I had a Blackberry with Verizon coverage for 2 1/2 years though my last job. Prior to that I had a Sprint phone for fours years though my other job (it has been quite some time since I have had to pay for a cell bill) and for my uses there really wasn't much difference. My view could be partially skewed again because my house is in a dead zone and for some reason T-Mobile gets the best coverage in my living room - but the real proof to me has been just riding around with my partner and seeing the lack of a difference between our services when I had Verizon. Again, we'll see if I feel the same in two weeks...

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Edit: After I replied I read the rest of the posts and I see you do mention that your first bill was higher because of the pro rates.

Hell yeah I know Arnold - I even bought his brother Sam a drink AND his dog one too ;)

I also failed to mention that I had a Blackberry with Verizon coverage for 2 1/2 years though my last job. Prior to that I had a Sprint phone for fours years though my other job (it has been quite some time since I have had to pay for a cell bill) and for my uses there really wasn't much difference. My view could be partially skewed again because my house is in a dead zone and for some reason T-Mobile gets the best coverage in my living room - but the real proof to me has been just riding around with my partner and seeing the lack of a difference between our services when I had Verizon. Again, we'll see if I feel the same in two weeks...
Ahhhh, Scratch my back with a hacksaw - and come back in a couple of weeks, I'd be curious what you think about your decision to go back to T-M.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Sentiment like this is why I did not even shop around before getting my droid. I felt the same way and went straight to Verizon and their big red maps. Then I'm out with my business partner and I'm dropping calls on my droid while she is having no problem on her T-Mobile G1. With all due respect to "the ratings", I had to go with what I was seeing with my own eyes.

I've always had the sort of job that required me to visit manufacturing plants all over the country. So yes, lots of time in the boonies. Verizon has always been the best choice for me because of the areas I frequently find myself visiting. I was once forced to use Sprint for my work phone and just stopped giving clients my cell number since I couldn't use it a lot of the time.

But I know that for some people, depending upon where they live and how much and where they travel, other networks are just fine. All of them are cheaper than Verizon, no question.

If you are a very local user, you may do better on a different network. I'm still confused about how you had a $300 usage bill with Verizon though. Verizon isn't inexpensive, but that charge seems very high to me.

The $300 was just the first bill because Verizon charges for what you have used, and then a month ahead.

Yeah, that first month is a killer.

I'd wonder if you could deduct this from your taxes since it is a work expense that is not paid for by your employer. Realtors are independent contractors, right? I'm no expert in tax law, but it may be worth placing a call to your accountant, whatever plan/phone you use.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score

Yeah, that first month is a killer.

I'd wonder if you could deduct this from your taxes since it is a work expense that is not paid for by your employer. Realtors are independent contractors, right? I'm no expert in tax law, but it may be worth placing a call to your accountant, whatever plan/phone you use.

Oh yeah for sure, I write it all off - still, I'd rather not spend it to begin with if I don't have to!

ice456789

Reaction score
GO PENS!

:icon_ banana:

Well Duh!! Now only if the Steelers would get their head out of their.....

Like the "Big Snack" said - "This sh*ts a wrap". LETS GO PENS!

Wow, one non-playoff season and you guys are already jumping off the wagon. It takes a lot more mettle to be a Browns fan. Some got it, and some don't I guess. :)

For the OP - bars don't matter as long as you have 1 or two. If someone else has 4 and you only have 3, it doesn't make a difference. But I can certainly understand if you were dropping calls a lot or not getting a data response in the places you frequent, that would be frustrating to anyone. I've had the opposite experience. I've dropped maybe 2 calls in the last year. A huge difference from Cingular and Sprint. I wish you luck with T-mobile.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Wow, one non-playoff season and you guys are already jumping off the wagon. It takes a lot more mettle to be a Browns fan. Some got it, and some don't I guess. :)

Yeah....Thanks for playing but I've been a season ticket holder for about 15 years....

And....

• Teams that have never played in a Super Bowl:
    • Cleveland Browns
    • Houston Texans
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Detroit Lions
    • New Orleans Saints
  • Teams that have never won a Super Bowl:
    • Buffalo Bills
    • Cincinnati Bengals
    • Cleveland Browns
    • Houston Texans
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Tennessee Titans
    • San Diego Chargers
    • Philadelphia Eagles
    • Detroit Lions
    • Minnesota Vikings
    • Atlanta Falcons
    • Carolina Panthers
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Arizona Cardinals
    • Seattle Seahawks

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yeah....Thanks for playing but I've been a season ticket holder for about 15 years....

And....

• Teams that have never played in a Super Bowl:
    • Cleveland Browns
    • Houston Texans
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Detroit Lions
    • New Orleans Saints
  • Teams that have never won a Super Bowl:
    • Buffalo Bills
    • Cincinnati Bengals
    • Cleveland Browns
    • Houston Texans
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Tennessee Titans
    • San Diego Chargers
    • Philadelphia Eagles
    • Detroit Lions
    • Minnesota Vikings
    • Atlanta Falcons
    • Carolina Panthers
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Arizona Cardinals
    • Seattle Seahawks
I like this list, and hope you don't mind if I borrow it. I just realized they aren't going to be showing the game here in Lancaster today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QiG

Reaction score
That's too bad. I've been a VZW customer long enough to not notice/not be affected by their billing methods when it comes to paying up front. My first bill after I got the droid was about exactly what I expected the montly minutes/txt/data plan to be after taxes.

For what it's worth, I figured that it was widely known that Verizon is (one of) the most expensive carriers, but the service/coverage more than justifies it. Living a few miles south of downtown Cleveland, I never have issues with lost signal or dropped calls and even on my last roadtrip to North Carolina in March, I don't remember losing signal anytime I checked my phone for any reason.

And even though it's off topic, I'm still high off the win from the last game I just want to point out that the Steelers sucked up the league for almost 40 years before turning things around in the 70s. Our expansion Browns have been horrible the past 10 years but we'll take a W over Pittsburgh whenever we can and hopefully with proper management, we can have a legit rivalry again.

jay80z

Reaction score
I'm out here in Moon by the airport. I actually dropped a call on the parkway west inbound by the sandpile BEFORE getting to the Fort Pitt tunnels. I admit that must have been a fluke though. I was mostly having trouble trying to use the data at times - we were in a meeting at one of the hotel conf rooms out in greentree and she was checking her e-mail just fine while I couldn't get on.

I work on Fort Duquesne Blvd, but I also work on weekends up at Robinson, I haven't had any issues, did you try and get a replacement before just turning it in?

To be honest at that point I was more focused on replacing Verizon than the Droid. Had their plans been more reasonably priced than I would have definitely been inclined to work through the minor issues I was having with my Droid, including replacing the one I had if need be.

After reading some of your posts in this thread, you have listed multiple reasons for not liking the Droid. Price of calling plans, dropped calls, bad reception, etc.

Sucks to be you. Hope things work out better for you next time.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score

For the OP - bars don't matter as long as you have 1 or two. If someone else has 4 and you only have 3, it doesn't make a difference. But I can certainly understand if you were dropping calls a lot or not getting a data response in the places you frequent, that would be frustrating to anyone. I've had the opposite experience. I've dropped maybe 2 calls in the last year. A huge difference from Cingular and Sprint. I wish you luck with T-mobile.

As soon as I saw that Browns logo I knew there was gonna be a smart ass comment ;) Not jumping off the bandwagon at all bro - just being realistic. I will agree that it takes a TON of mettle to root for the Browns though- and a healthy dose of sadomasochism as well.

Thanks for the well wishes though, hopefully I will still be pleased with the switch in a couple of weeks.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score
I work on Fort Duquesne Blvd, but I also work on weekends up at Robinson, I haven't had any issues, did you try and get a replacement before just turning it in?

To be honest at that point I was more focused on replacing Verizon than the Droid. Had their plans been more reasonably priced than I would have definitely been inclined to work through the minor issues I was having with my Droid, including replacing the one I had if need be.

After reading some of your posts in this thread, you have listed multiple reasons for not liking the Droid. Price of calling plans, dropped calls, bad reception, etc.

Sucks to be you. Hope things work out better for you next time.

It appears your ability to effectively make a point is as lacking as your reading comprehension skills. I stated I liked the Droid, but could not justify the price for the vaunted Verizon service when I was not seeing it in my day to day activities compared to what my partner was seeing with T-Mobile. Again, I am not here trying to rile you fanboys up, just giving honest, topical feedback for the other consumers on the board. Don't worry about me skip, it appears you are the one who needs things to work out better for you.