Just gave up my Droid.

Danjitsu

Reaction score
I liked the phone. It was snappy, it was fun. All the apps were great.

The problem was the value of the Verizon plan.

My business partner (we are both real estate agents in the Pittsburgh PA area) has T Mobile and the G1. When we were out and about the last 3 weeks since I got my droid, I was dropping more calls than her, and getting less bars than her more often than not - especially indoors. So with all due respect to big red maps, I wasn't seeing any kind of network advantage over her when it counted most.

It wasn't a real big difference though, and certainly nothing remotely significant enough to make me even consider giving up my new baby. The real kicker was the plan. I got my first bill, and for the sake of this argument I will even be generous and not consider the additional fees and the charging ahead that Verizon does - causing my first bill for 35 minutes used to be $297 and change. POW! Ok, so for monthly unlimited texting and 1400 minutes between my wife and I, I was paying $119.99. This was a consumer (non business) account and since I was getting a smart phone, I had to pay for the $45 separate data plan, rather than Verizon packaging it for me to take some of the bite out of that price. So before taxes and fees I'm looking at about $165 for 1400 min and texting for my wife and I, and data for my device only.

On T-Mobile, it was cheaper to get sep lines for my wife and I. Pretty basic too. I pay $79.99 for unlimited minutes, texting and data for my new HTC Touch Pro 2, and got my wife another texting based non smart phone and a plan that includes 500 minutes (plenty for her) unimited texting and data for $49.99 for a total of approx $130 before taxes and fees.

If I wanted unlimited minutes on Verizon (as all my colleagues kept insisting I would need) I was looking at adding about another $90 to a plan that was already $35 higher than what T-mobile was going to charge me for unlimited minutes and that was not even counting the data for my wife!!! No comparison. Especially since I seem to be getting a stronger T Mobile signal here in my home than what I was getting with Verizon - admittedly I live in a "dead zone" and need to get a repeater either way, but the bottom line is that Verizon wanted to charge me $120-$140 per month MORE than what T-Mobile was going to for comparable plans.

I was at first lamenting that I could not take my beloved Droid with me and was looking at the Moto Cliq, the MyTouch and the Samsung Behold 2. None of them were really doing it for me when compared to the Droid I was having to give up. That is when the salesman at T Mobile asked me if I considered altering my focus and looking at a Window's Mobile device - specifically the HTC Touch Pro 2.

He described it as a laptop and I have to say that after spending a couple days with the device I have to agree. The being able to use it as a tethered modem out of the box for no extra charge is a huge bonus and the ability to manipulate excel and the other microsoft office programs is also key for me in my daily business. While not as snappy, bright or fun as the Droid and other up coming Android devices, the trade off is more business and general functionality imo - and it's one I am having to say I am feeling good about making, ESPECIALLY considering the price.

Just thought I would share.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Ok................

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're first post on a Droid forum was to say that you gave up on the Droid? I'm sorry if this offends you, but that really comes off as being a "troll"...

fredm74

Reaction score
Well to be fair, he did say he loved the phone but wasn't impressed with the network. Sorry you were having issues with Verizon. But before you signed up, didn't you ask how much your monthly bill was going to be?

fjmarch

Reaction score
Oh the wicked webs we weave.

I guess Pittsburgh is one of those areas on the Verizon map that is not red.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Looks pretty Red to me...

0919090957.jpg

droidhero

Reaction score
Not only that but he gave up the Droid for a touch pro 2?? Yuck! I hope yours lasts longer than the ones I have seen.... A coworker has gone through 17, 1 was an insurance claim from dropping it getting out of the car, the rest were all hardware warranty. He always had the oddest problems with it.

I though have never had any issues with verizon service, always decently strong signal. T-mobile though I thought was notorious for awful coverage.....

Being a business owner I do suppose the windows program use could be useful.

But good luck with your decision.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
But before you signed up, didn't you ask how much your monthly bill was going to be?

That's what I was thinking. Every experience I've ever had with Verizon from initial signup, plan changes, phone changes, etc., they have always told me what the cost was going to be and what my bill was going to be. In fact, I always got it in writing from them.

Sorry you had a bad experience and there are certainly places in the country where the red map doesn't apply but if the costs were hidden it's because you didn't ask.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
And as an afterthought, T Mobile generally has about the worst coverage (I think them and Sprint are neck and neck) and I'd rather have my eyes gouged out with sticks than use a windows mobile phone.

But I'm glad it works for you.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score
You're first post on a Droid forum was to say that you gave up on the Droid? I'm sorry if this offends you, but that really comes off as being a "troll"...

No offense taken, as I did not mean to offend anybody with my post. I signed up a couple of weeks ago a few days after getting my droid and then mostly just lurked. Before bowing out of the community I just though I would share my experience as a consumer. Again, not trying to offend any fan boys, just trying to give some on topic, unbiased feedback to other like minded consumers who may be posting here.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score

Well to be fair, he did say he loved the phone but wasn't impressed with the network. Sorry you were having issues with Verizon. But before you signed up, didn't you ask how much your monthly bill was going to be?

Thanks. I did indeed ask - my fault for allowing myself to be rushed through and not fully understand that the data plan was additional. He honestly made it sound like it was included in the $119.99.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score

I hear you man. That is why when I was getting a phone I didn't even shop around. Verizon already has my home phone, internet and Fios TV business, and I was all about the Droid so I didn't even price the other carriers. Then I'm out in the field with my partner and she is getting just as good, and often times better service than I was with T Mobile, and she tells me the price of her plan...well let's just say I felt "had" at that point.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score
Not only that but he gave up the Droid for a touch pro 2?? Yuck! I hope yours lasts longer than the ones I have seen.... A coworker has gone through 17, 1 was an insurance claim from dropping it getting out of the car, the rest were all hardware warranty. He always had the oddest problems with it.

I though have never had any issues with verizon service, always decently strong signal. T-mobile though I thought was notorious for awful coverage.....

Being a business owner I do suppose the windows program use could be useful.

But good luck with your decision.

Time will tell I suppose. I certainly hope I don't have those kind of problems, but out of the box I am loving the Touch Pro 2. It has it's strengths over the Droid, and I certainly miss a lot of what the Droid could do that this one doesn't, but so far it seems that the switch was the right decision for me. Again, time will tell, but I don't expect to go through seventeen(?) units. Or even one for that matter - I tend to take care of my things. Thanks for the feedback!