Just gave up my Droid.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score
Oh the wicked webs we weave.

I guess Pittsburgh is one of those areas on the Verizon map that is not red.

I live in Pittsburgh, Droid works flawlessly. I work downtown.

I'm out here in Moon by the airport. I actually dropped a call on the parkway west inbound by the sandpile BEFORE getting to the Fort Pitt tunnels. I admit that must have been a fluke though. I was mostly having trouble trying to use the data at times - we were in a meeting at one of the hotel conf rooms out in greentree and she was checking her e-mail just fine while I couldn't get on.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
...I'd rather have my eyes gouged out with sticks than use a windows mobile phone.

Hmmmm. I can tell you right now that you and I have far different priorities in life ;)

I am glad you found something that will work for you. Not everyone sees things the same. If it were me I would have waited for the Nexus one to be released if i were going to use T-Mobile. Otherwise enjoy your self and your new equipment . You are always more than welcome to stop by here and say hello if you want

bluedust

Reaction score
Oh the wicked webs we weave.

I guess Pittsburgh is one of those areas on the Verizon map that is not red.

I'm out here in Moon by the airport. I actually dropped a call on the parkway west inbound by the sandpile BEFORE getting to the Fort Pitt tunnels. I admit that must have been a fluke though. I was mostly having trouble trying to use the data at times - we were in a meeting at one of the hotel conf rooms out in greentree and she was checking her e-mail just fine while I couldn't get on.

I work on Fort Duquesne Blvd, but I also work on weekends up at Robinson, I haven't had any issues, did you try and get a replacement before just turning it in?

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score
...I'd rather have my eyes gouged out with sticks than use a windows mobile phone.

Hmmmm. I can tell you right now that you and I have far different priorities in life ;)

I am glad you found something that will work for you. Not everyone sees things the same. If it were me I would have waited for the Nexus one to be released if i were going to use T-Mobile. Otherwise enjoy your self and your new equipment . You are always more than welcome to stop by here and say hello if you want

Thanks! It did kind of sting to pay top dollar for several month old technology, but I had to get out in my 30 day window or suffer the consequences. I'll be sure to stop by as this forum seems like a good resource for other info. Thanks again.

OP
D

Danjitsu

Reaction score

I work on Fort Duquesne Blvd, but I also work on weekends up at Robinson, I haven't had any issues, did you try and get a replacement before just turning it in?

To be honest at that point I was more focused on replacing Verizon than the Droid. Had their plans been more reasonably priced than I would have definitely been inclined to work through the minor issues I was having with my Droid, including replacing the one I had if need be.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
I liked the phone. It was snappy, it was fun. All the apps were great.

The problem was the value of the Verizon plan.

My business partner (we are both real estate agents in the Pittsburgh PA area) has T Mobile and the G1. When we were out and about the last 3 weeks since I got my droid, I was dropping more calls than her, and getting less bars than her more often than not - especially indoors. So with all due respect to big red maps, I wasn't seeing any kind of network advantage over her when it counted most.

It wasn't a real big difference though, and certainly nothing remotely significant enough to make me even consider giving up my new baby. The real kicker was the plan. I got my first bill, and for the sake of this argument I will even be generous and not consider the additional fees and the charging ahead that Verizon does - causing my first bill for 35 minutes used to be $297 and change. POW! Ok, so for monthly unlimited texting and 1400 minutes between my wife and I, I was paying $119.99. This was a consumer (non business) account and since I was getting a smart phone, I had to pay for the $45 separate data plan, rather than Verizon packaging it for me to take some of the bite out of that price. So before taxes and fees I'm looking at about $165 for 1400 min and texting for my wife and I, and data for my device only.

On T-Mobile, it was cheaper to get sep lines for my wife and I. Pretty basic too. I pay $79.99 for unlimited minutes, texting and data for my new HTC Touch Pro 2, and got my wife another texting based non smart phone and a plan that includes 500 minutes (plenty for her) unimited texting and data for $49.99 for a total of approx $130 before taxes and fees.

If I wanted unlimited minutes on Verizon (as all my colleagues kept insisting I would need) I was looking at adding about another $90 to a plan that was already $35 higher than what T-mobile was going to charge me for unlimited minutes and that was not even counting the data for my wife!!! No comparison. Especially since I seem to be getting a stronger T Mobile signal here in my home than what I was getting with Verizon - admittedly I live in a "dead zone" and need to get a repeater either way, but the bottom line is that Verizon wanted to charge me $120-$140 per month MORE than what T-Mobile was going to for comparable plans.

I was at first lamenting that I could not take my beloved Droid with me and was looking at the Moto Cliq, the MyTouch and the Samsung Behold 2. None of them were really doing it for me when compared to the Droid I was having to give up. That is when the salesman at T Mobile asked me if I considered altering my focus and looking at a Window's Mobile device - specifically the HTC Touch Pro 2.

He described it as a laptop and I have to say that after spending a couple days with the device I have to agree. The being able to use it as a tethered modem out of the box for no extra charge is a huge bonus and the ability to manipulate excel and the other microsoft office programs is also key for me in my daily business. While not as snappy, bright or fun as the Droid and other up coming Android devices, the trade off is more business and general functionality imo - and it's one I am having to say I am feeling good about making, ESPECIALLY considering the price.

Just thought I would share.

Did you consider talking to anyone at Verizon about your plan? I can't imagine how you managed to spend roughly $300.

The unlimited call plan is $119.99 per month. But you can also use Verizon 'friends and family' to make calls to your most frequently or most heavily used numbers outside of Verizon free to you. Verizon wireless to Verizon wireless calls are always free. The data plan (which is unlimited and includes texting) is $29.99. I don't see how anyone is spending more than $150 + taxes/fees per month. Most could go with the step below unlimited voice by using friends and family for their heavy call out-of-network friends/clients.

If you didn't have good reception in your area, that's another matter.

But something about this story sounds off to me...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Did you consider talking to anyone at Verizon about your plan? I can't imagine how you managed to spend roughly $300.

Me either...I have 5 phones (2 are Droids) and my bill is right around $249-ish

12master

Reaction score
The unlimited call plan is $119.99 per month. But you can also use Verizon 'friends and family' to make calls to your most frequently or most heavily used numbers outside of Verizon free to you. Verizon wireless to Verizon wireless calls are always free. The data plan (which is unlimited and includes texting) is $29.99. I don't see how anyone is spending more than $150 + taxes/fees per month. Most could go with the step below unlimited voice by using friends and family for their heavy call out-of-network friends/clients.

If you didn't have good reception in your area, that's another matter.

But something about this story sounds off to me...
user_online.gif
well,my bill is about $200 for just one phone,one line,so the price IS on the expensive side!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i would rather use a beeper and payphones before i would goto T-Mobile they have the worse service in america.

even metro PCS is rated higher for coverage......