JB 4.1.2 installed with no issues

ausbill32

Reaction score
I've never rooted my phone and I was on ICS prior to this upgrade. I'm happy to report that my phone upgrade to JB 4.1.2 went well earlier today, and I have no issues to report. I did loose my FoxFi tether ability as other people mentioned but over all, I'm happy I upgraded. The O/S runs better than ICS in my opinion and it feels smoother.

I just wanted to let others know that not everyone is having problems. I've played with all my apps, and everything seems to be working. I did down load the "All -In-One" app and I killed any processes that I didn't want running. The battery seems to be lasting longer and it's not getting as hot. I'll report back in a few days and update my post.

Edit 3/28/2013 On the physical keyboard, I've verified that I cannot do any "shift" functions so all the symbols in "yellow" are not working on my phone.

Edit 4/1/2013 - In order to get my key board to work, I had to do a factory reset. I no longer have any issues.

Last edited:

silver6054

Reaction score
I've never rooted my phone and I was on ICS prior to this upgrade. I'm happy to report that my phone upgrade to JB 4.1.2 went well earlier today, and I have no issues to report. I did loose my FoxFi tether ability as other people mentioned but over all, I'm happy I upgraded. The O/S runs better than ICS in my opinion and it feels smoother.

I just wanted to let others know that not everyone is having problems. I've tested my keyboard, played with all my apps, and everything seems to be working. I did down load the "All -In-One" app and I killed any processes that I didn't want running. The battery seems to be lasting longer and it's not getting as hot. I'll report back in a few days and update my post.

It's a sad but true fact that every Android update produces a large number of "Worse thing ever, broke my phone" posts whereas most of those with no issues don't post of course. This is something like my sixth, and I still don't understand why some get bad issues (apps, individual phone components?) and others work fine, but this is a general pattern.

In many cases, a FR after two or three days should help a lot (after a major upgrade the phone has to do a lot of stuff, which is why battery life can be poor at first. If you do an FR too early, you just cause this process to restart).

And in some cases, some of those that complain that Android N+1 broke their phone and ruined their perfect Android N experience, are the same ones who complained when Android N replaced Android N-1. But I'm sure no-one on this forum is in this camp!

CheshireDragon

Reaction score
Very true, silver. I thank ausbill coming here and giving us a success story. Even if it is only day 1 for him.
My story didn't go over so well.
I had been testing the XT926 since last May and it was the worst POS running ICS. The XT912 and XT912m were perfect examples of that. JB came to my XT926 before it was released and it fix 90% of all the issues it had. A week later the device was released to consumers WITH ICS!! As it was with the 912 series, it was so with XT926. soon after JB was rushed to the OTA and it fixed a TON of issues. ICS wasn't that great on my XT894 so I was actually looking forward to JB. When I received the approval notice it was still 2 weeks out and I couldn't wait. Finally on the 22nd I noticed the OTA downloading and installed it quick *CRASH* Oh yeah, I rooted and had several bloat apps renamed. All good though. Instead of going and renaming them all back I just flashed it with the SU2(ICS). Re-downloaded the OTA and upgraded. The first thing I noticed is how hard it was to scroll. Like the screen didn't want to move. my battery was draining at an alarming rate. About 4hrs from charge to dead. Other issues with the keyboard that others had mentioned, but I don't use it as a MHS so I wasn't aware of the tethering issues. I decided to flash it back to ICS, but wouldn't you know it was the same thing with Gingerbread to ICS....couldn't go back! DAMN!!
I tried desperately to clear cache, factory reset, but it all went down hill. For some reason after one of the factory resets, most all of the apps disappeared. WTF?! They just went away. I did another reset to see if they would come back and it drove the phone into the wall(BOOT FAILURE)
Something like...
AP FastBoot Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure)
0A.77

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

Invalid CG OTV (CG: System): Invalid SP Data
Invalid CG Version (CG: System)
Invalid CG OTV (CG: System)

It was hosed AND my battery was dead. There was no recharging because if you get boot failure and invalid data...NO boot options work. I had to sacrifice a USB cable and hardwire the battery for 20min for a charge. I was able to get it out of boot failure and then get my hands on the Stock JB from Moto. Flashed it in RSD to JB and the stock version is fantastic. Still had the keyboard issues, but resolved those. Battery life is excellent now too. It's like a brand new phone.

I am glad that you didn't have any troubles. I have been working with cell phones for almost 7yrs now so i know a thing or two, but the average Joe would NOT have known what to do if this happened to them. i hope that many others have a good of success as you did.

Now onto my Raspberry Pi cluster to break some more sh-- ;)

BattleTroll

Reaction score
I got my JB 2 nights ago, everything went well I observed no significant changes/problems I was dissapointed that it did not come with Moto's Circles widget.

Hikertrash

Reaction score
I finally got tired of clicking upgrade later, I updated this morning and with the exception of FoxFi wifi not working, I haven't noticed any problems. Keyboard seems to be working fine.

CheshireDragon

Reaction score
...I was dissapointed that it did not come with Moto's Circles widget.

As was I. I was really looking forward to it since it's on my XT926. Kind of grew on me. I am curious to see if I can pull it from my XT926 to put on the XT894. Anyone ever swap files like that? I have never attempted. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
As was I. I was really looking forward to it since it's on my XT926. Kind of grew on me. I am curious to see if I can pull it from my XT926 to put on the XT894. Anyone ever swap files like that? I have never attempted. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.
ive aleady done that in my droid 4 hd rom for jb and i also have a patch

Hikertrash

Reaction score
One thing I noticed is I lost my Facebook contacts, along with the profile photos in my "People" contact list. Downloading and syncing with the Ubersync app seemed to mostly fix that.

There's a still a problem with the larger profile photo resolution being pixelated, out of focus, and fuzzy, once you tap a contact. There's several settings but I've only tried a couple. You can still pull up their profiles and apparently their regular email.

I don't see a way to join or merge two similar contacts.

Last edited:

CheshireDragon

Reaction score
lol just pul the apk from there.... duh lol

Was not aware I could do that as I never mess with ROMs. I thought they were like the flash updates that use the XML file for RDS.
However, I did D/L and pull the file, but it doesn't work. It installs and places the widget, but when I add it to the home screen it gives me the error of 'The Circles widget is not supported on 3rd party home screens.'
The sadness ensues.

tchalm

Reaction score
I got JB a week or so ago or so (1st week of April). The update got pushed down automatically one morning and I had some time so I let it install right away. The update went quite smoothly, although the phone got rather warm during the process. I didn't notice any problems, and I actually like JB better than ICS.

One problem I had with ICS was that the virtual keypad for entering my PIN for Voicemail did not work very well - sometimes it would totally botch the PIN so I had to use the real keypad. I am glad to say that has cleared up with JB.

And I'm finding that the virtual keypad is working better in general with JB. With ICS, the virtual keypad would frequently get the wrong key, no matter how careful I was. It was like it was off by a few millimeters.

My D4 is quite stock, I've added a few apps, but not a lot. For me, the phone needs to be a viable functional business tool, not something to play with. Unfortunately, the stock calendar is still terrible and syncing with Outlook is a pain. Oh well, at least it's better than ICS.

tchalm

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I got JB a week or so ago or so (1st week of April). The update got pushed down automatically one morning and I had some time so I let it install right away. The update went quite smoothly, although the phone got rather warm during the process. I didn't notice any problems, and I actually like JB better than ICS.

One problem I had with ICS was that the virtual keypad for entering my PIN for Voicemail did not work very well - sometimes it would totally botch the PIN so I had to use the real keypad. I am glad to say that has cleared up with JB.

And I'm finding that the virtual keypad is working better in general with JB. With ICS, the virtual keypad would frequently get the wrong key, no matter how careful I was. It was like it was off by a few millimeters.

My D4 is quite stock, I've added a few apps, but not a lot. For me, the phone needs to be a viable functional business tool, not something to play with. Unfortunately, the stock calendar is still terrible and syncing with Outlook is a pain. Oh well, at least it's better than ICS.

tchalm

I am no "Droid Guru" but I was wondering if you have tried the google calendar sync program to sync your Outlook calendar with your Google calendar? I have been using it for about 3 years now with 3 different Droid phones (D1, D3 & Bionic) and have had no issues syncing my Corporate Outlook calendar to my Google calendar.

tchalm

Reaction score
I am no "Droid Guru" but I was wondering if you have tried the google calendar sync program to sync your Outlook calendar with your Google calendar? I have been using it for about 3 years now with 3 different Droid phones (D1, D3 & Bionic) and have had no issues syncing my Corporate Outlook calendar to my Google calendar.

Hi: Yes, I tried using the Google calendar to sync Outlook calendar and it made a total mess of things; lots of duplications, and duplications of duplications. But also, I read the Google terms of use and privacy statement and the bottom line is that Google's solutions are totally unacceptable.

However, let's not hijack this thread to discuss that problem here.

I like JB better than ICS (but not enough to make me like Android yet.)

tchalm

Khiraji

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing the JB update last night. The OTA seems quite solid and everything is working, except for bedside dock mode. I'd been using a Droid 3 dock previously under ICS, and it worked perfectly - phone would enter dock mode when inserted, audio would pump out over HDMI (to my bedroom sound system), and everything was good. But now, nothing happens when I put the phone on to dock - it registers that it's being charged, but no bedside dock and no audio over HDMI.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is sort of a dealbreaker for me... my phone is my alarm clock and I have it set to turn on Pandora in the morning, and it's the greatest way to wake up ever. I'd sure like to get this working again. I've scoured these forums and XDA, and there's very little in the way of clues as to what might be causing this.