Tethering after JB update?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by kanuck, Mar 20, 2013.

1. kanuck

kanuck New Member

I admit it... i couldn't wait.

updated to Jelly Bean today via the downloaded zip file. tried to do it right: unfroze bloatware, switched back all system changes (including tethering entitlement check), used voodoo to backup root and temp unroot. recovered to the zip file and was able to restore root no problem. JB seems to run a touch faster, but not a very different experience.

moto tether app is a problem, though. usb tethering option is gone completely. wifi hotspot proclaims to work (after removing entitlement check via SQL), but while my computer connects, it doesn't get internet access.

in my search for a solution i tried both Wifi Tethering for Root and FoxFi with the same results (Wifi Tethering reports adhoc fail). EasyTether worked, but sporadically at best.

anyone have a tethering solution?

oh... in case it matters i've unlimited data with Rogers GSM here in Canada. never had trouble with the stock app on ics once i got rid of the entitlement check.

thanks in advance...
  2. DocWalt

DocWalt Member

Wifi Tether worked fine for me. I had to set the profiles up to use the generic ICS/JB settings.
  3. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

WiFi Hotspot entitlement check hack still works on my Droid 4. I didn't revert those settings, I didn't defrost frozen apps and I didn't unroot. Applied the update as it was pushed to my phone, rebooted and restored root with OTA Rootkeeper. All my frozen apps are still frozen and my WiFi Hotspot still works (as tested connecting my tablet to my phone and browsing the web).

Not sure why it's not working for you after editing the database file again and making changes to the dhcp range from the defaults...

Here's what I had followed back on Gingerbread and it's remained functional through ICS OTA and now the JB OTA..

4. DSM4rill

DSM4rill New Member

[​IMG]

That's what it's hittin' for on my phone. Got me stuck on stuck mode.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
  5. meek2100

meek2100 New Member

After removing entitlement check via SQL, my Wifi tether worked great. I still have USB & Bluetooth tethering available and working as well.
  6. kanuck

kanuck New Member

7. meek2100

meek2100 New Member

I started out on ICS .217 rooted with Safestrap and CM10.1. Backed up everything via TB. Removed safestrap then reset to factory default. SBF'd to ICS .217 stock. Upgraded to JB OTA using MyFishBear's upgrade files. Then I reset to factory once JB had fully installed. Then I did the basics and restored with TB after deleting the system file back ups that no longer existed on JB. Hope that helps someone with there upgrade process if there having trouble.

If I ever get time I could post a nandroid backup so you can just use that and hopefully the options would come back for ya.
  8. Big D

Big D New Member

Is there a step-by-step tutorial out there for a dummy? I'm coming from a stock ICS phone that I just recieved as a replacement.

Thanks all.
  9. meek2100

meek2100 New Member

Alright finally got the time to do a Nandroid/Safe Strap Backup for you. This back up is the OTA Stock Jelly Bean 98.72.18 with root and usb, bluetooth, and wifi tethering all working.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_xvg1mYV-6PajExNGw2cXJNRjA/edit?usp=sharing

N
    OTE: If anyone else wants to host this your more than welcome to. I have limited hosting space so I'll eventually have to delete it.
  10. Big D

Big D New Member

I'm not the programming type.

Is there a tutorial on how to install this?

Thanks.
  11. meek2100

meek2100 New Member

I'm not a 100% if this would work if you're currently still running ICS. I'd hope a more experience developer would confirm the ICS side of things before you try it, but once your on JB. But you would need to download the back up, place it on your SD card, be rooted, and running Hashcode's Safe Strap then you would Power Off and Turn on your phone. Hit the menu key to open safe strap. Click the recover button, locate the back up file you placed on your SD card earlier and start it. Once the process is finished you would reboot your phone and you should be running JB with root/tether.

Note the above instructions would delete all your apps and personal data so back up with Titanium Backup before trying.
  12. Big D

Big D New Member

Cool. Thanks so much!

Can anyone confirm?
  13. kanuck

kanuck New Member

just a quick update.

After bricking my phone by changing some system files (d'oh!), i managed to follow instructions and reflash jb via rsd. Awesome!

USB tethering seems to have reappeared as a result, but I've lost root so I can't dispense with Verizon's authorization check. Back to square one of sorts, but glad to not be bricked anymore...
  14. kanuck

kanuck New Member

Sigh... still struggling.

Rooted now, thanks to the Razer 4.1 Exploit that happens to serve us too. Installed SQL, zeroed the entitlement check, but still a no go. PC connects to the network fine (via USB or WiFi now) but doesn't find a website. APN settings are fine for on-device browsing and were good for tethering in ICS as well as the LG L7 running JB I got as a loaner.

What gives?! Maybe a Rogers or GSM compatibility issue?
  15. Big D

Big D New Member

At this point, i'm saying ..screw JB. There doesn't seem to be anything to gain and there are a ridiculous amount of issues.
  16. kanuck

kanuck New Member

So it seems (after loads of research) that this is a known issue.

But it's not an issue so much as a "feature" for our carriers: Jelly Bean allows Carriers to recognize and block tethering. That's why some folks lose tethering, and some don't. The issue is a switch at the carrier's end.

For those of you who know that you are supposed to be able to tether per your agreement, the solution should be as easy as calling your provider and having them enable tethering.

For those (like me) who have been sneaking in the back door and wish to continue to do so, the fix seems to lie in iptables (root required). The simplest I found was entering this in terminal:

Code:
    su -c "iptables -tnat -A natctrl_nat_POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/16 -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE"
    ...where "rmnet0" is replaced with the interface specific to your device. Apparently after this, one should be able to tether normally.

(Reference here, see comments 122, 125 & 131)

Unfortunately this didn't work for me, but more than likely because I haven't a clue what I'm dabbling in. I found my "interface" by running "netcfg" in terminal with tethering disabled, and chose qmi0 (the one with a xx.xxx.xx.xx format IP address, the same as shows for the phone when it's successfully online). Does anyone know enough to be able to help me with this?
  17. kanuck

kanuck New Member

Just an update to let y'all know I have tethering working now.

Not sure what did it, but after flashing the recent 2nd edition of JB (cdma_maserati_9.8.2O-72_VZW-18-2_1ff.xml), rooting, running the SQLite Editor entitlement check hack and installing WiFi Tether for Root (Generic JB wlan1 profile and netd-ndc(master) setup method), I'm up and tethering like the good old days.

Thanks to all for their efforts!
Search tags for this page

android 4.1.2 tethering

bluetooth tethering android 4.1

cm10.2 entitlement check

not able to thering on jelly bean
removing entitlement check tethering
stock ics entitlement

tether entitlement check

tethering 4.2.1

tethering cm10.1

tethering doesn't work after jelly bean update