Issues Still Remain After Update...

SBacklin

Reaction score
Well, I got my replacement Eris yesterday. The update immediate showed up and I installed it. The battery life seems a bit improved although it just still seems a bit too short.

The signal issue still is there. It doesn't fluctuate as bad as before the update but it still does fluctuate. I am at home where I would get full signal or maybe 3 out of 4 bars rarely (W755, Storm 2). On both of the Eris devices, I usually sit at 0 bars. I check the dcb level in the status menu and it would say 0 & 0. I am going to toy with the replacement for a couple days and if nothing changes, I will have Verizon open up a trouble ticket. There is something definitely wrong here.

Last edited:

damian015

Reaction score
There should be no battery improvements on this update. If its running better than good but I dont think is related to the update. :reddroid:

lowtech

Reaction score
Well, I got my replacement Eris yesterday. The update immediate showed up and I installed it. The battery life seems a bit improved although it just still seems a bit too short.

The signal issue still is there. It doesn't fluctuate as bad as before the update but it still does fluctuate. I am at home where I would get full signal or maybe 3 out of 4 bars rarely (W755, Storm 2). On both of the Eris devices, I usually sit at 0 bars. I check the dcb level in the status menu and it would say 0 & 0. I am going to toy with the replacement for a couple days and if nothing changes, I will have Verizon open up a trouble ticket. There is something definitely wrong here.

When I spoke with a Verizon tech a couple of weeks ago, he said, "If you put 5 of our phones side by side and check the signal on each, some will have a stronger signal than others. They differ depending on the how the manufacturer has built them." Apparently HTC did not put a robust antenna in the Eris. I hope that one of the updates will improve the signal. (My Treo had 3-4 bars at home... the Eris, maybe 1, with some dropped calls.)

OP
S

SBacklin

Reaction score

When I spoke with a Verizon tech a couple of weeks ago, he said, "If you put 5 of our phones side by side and check the signal on each, some will have a stronger signal than others. They differ depending on the how the manufacturer has built them." Apparently HTC did not put a robust antenna in the Eris. I hope that one of the updates will improve the signal. (My Treo had 3-4 bars at home... the Eris, maybe 1, with some dropped calls.)
This is the point I've been trying to drive home with everyone. Right now, I'm upstairs in my town house. Up here, my past phone, Storm 2, my brother's Moto Droid, and my second line that has a W755, will all register anywhere from -75dcb to -80dcb...which is excellent signal (full bars), my Eris might show -97dcb but usually just 0dcb/0bars. There is obviously something wrong.

lowtech

Reaction score

This is the point I've been trying to drive home with everyone. Right now, I'm upstairs in my town house. Up here, my past phone, Storm 2, my brother's Moto Droid, and my second line that has a W755, will all register anywhere from -75dcb to -80dcb...which is excellent signal (full bars), my Eris might show -97dcb but usually just 0dcb/0bars. There is obviously something wrong.

According to that Verizon tech the only thing "wrong" is the wussy antenna that HTC put in the Eris.

OP
S

SBacklin

Reaction score

According to that Verizon tech the only thing "wrong" is the wussy antenna that HTC put in the Eris.
You have to take what VZW says with a grain of salt because they want as many Moto Droids sold as possible.

Eric

Reaction score
That is really weird about the 0 dBm reading. That would actually be very strong signal (1 mW). But it sounds like it is just set to read 0 when there is no signal, (even though that's technically not what it should really mean.) I get around -81 to -89 dBm where I am, which gives a decent connection. I have to go to the store this weekend to check the WiFi, so maybe I will check the signal on some of the display models in the store while I'm there, to see what they read. Edit: How the heck do you get paragraphs to show up on this site? I type them in, and they disappear when I put up the post! Edit after edit to fix them, and it keeps doing the same thing?

Last edited:
OP
S

SBacklin

Reaction score
That is really weird about the 0 dBm reading. That would actually be very strong signal (1 mW). But it sounds like it is just set to read 0 when there is no signal, (even though that's technically not what it should really mean.) I get around -81 to -89 dBm where I am, which gives a decent connection. I have to go to the store this weekend to check the WiFi, so maybe I will check the signal on some of the display models in the store while I'm there, to see what they read. Edit: How the heck do you get paragraphs to show up on this site? I type them in, and they disappear when I put up the post! Edit after edit to fix them, and it keeps doing the same thing?
I've emailed HTC about this. Pointed them to this site and others to show all the people having issues. I'm trying to get everyone having issues with the Eris software to contact HTC. If not enough people contact them, they are not going to take this seriously.

Eric

Reaction score
Checked the display models and compared to mine side by side. All showed the same signal strength. Really good too. -73 dBm! No wonder they work so well in the store.

OP
S

SBacklin

Reaction score
Checked the display models and compared to mine side by side. All showed the same signal strength. Really good too. -73 dBm! No wonder they work so well in the store.
Did you by chance compare the dB rating of your Eris to the dB rating the display Motorola Droid?

Eric

Reaction score
I didn't do that, no. If I am over that way later this week, I'll stop in and check and let you know.

jev

Reaction score
This is the same issue with my wifes eris versus my droid. Right now my droid is a -100 dBm and 0 asu whereas the eris is at 0-0 sitting beside my droid. As my wife uses this as her business phone as well as her personal phone this is unacceptable.

OP
S

SBacklin

Reaction score
Well, I'm sending my eris back. I'm going back to a regular phone until something better comes along. I just can't justify paying the money for the Eris which almost has a mandatory extended battery purchase given the stock battery is bad and the device itself has a lot of issues. I don't want to basically turn my smartphone into a dumbphone to get a halfway decent battery. With the news of better upcoming devices, I will get a normal phone and just wait to see what comes down the pike.

Eric

Reaction score
Signal diff was between 2 to 4 dBm, which is significant. (3 dB is a factor of two in power!)