Is Thunderbolt worth 300?

Klaista2k

Reaction score
I can get the X right now for 150.

Will the Thunderbolt really be that much better that it's worth paying 300 for?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It depends, are you in a 4g area? Do you plan on rooting and flashing roms? I would prob get the thunderbolt but that's just me.

tappin and a talkin

dajogejr

Reaction score
IMO...yes.
It comes with 40GB of storage, 32GB of it real storage, not like the iPhone where 32GB includes the OS, etc.
It's the first CDMA phone to do voice and data simultaneously. Does it do it well? Jury is out....but I'd bet it's fine for most.
First LTE phone, after seeing how fast LTE is on a USB modem..I'm hooked.

My personal thoughts are shortly after the Tbolt is announced they will tier data pricing (if not during launch, but here's to hoping).

If I switch to a Tbolt from my current blackberry my hosted exchange email (work email) is 5 bucks cheaper per month. My data plan is 10 bucks cheaper per month (if I can get in on 29.99 unlimited).

That means this phone pays for itself in 20 months if it retails for 300 w/ renew or 16 months if 250.

And the ability to actually use the power and speed of the web on actual web pages...is worth it for me!!

Craiger22

Reaction score
I would personally hold on for the bionic if you can wait. I think the tbolt is going to have serious battery issues, and is going to be obsolete rather quickly.

Sleeve

Reaction score
You won't know until it comes out and real people post real opinions. All there is now is speculation. It also looks like you'll be able to get a Bionic for $150, so that's a pretty good reason to wait unless you're getting that X off-contract at $150. Bad time to get an X on contract. My son's Dare is on its last gasp and he decided to wait for a TB.

Like it has been proven that we can't rely on BB for release dates, we also can't rely on them for price. There has been no official VzW announcement of the product. What BB is willing to put in an ad is meaningless, they just want to grab eyeball and pump non-refundable gift cards.

spicoli1980

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt has lost its thunder and should be renamed Eris 2 aka blunderspark
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

motty69

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt has lost its thunder and should be renamed Eris 2 aka blunderspark
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Maybe the Thunderbolt won't be bleeding edge hardware for long, but it has plenty of horsepower and will perform well for most people. There will be better choices for people who do a lot of 3d gaming on their phones, but for people who don't really care about that, I don't see the hardware being an issue.

The LTE and battery issues are a little more concerning to me. Hopefully they have it fixed, only time will tell.

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums App

n0yxl

Reaction score
Is the Thunderbolt worth $300?

Not to me. I'll wait for the price to drop below $250, and/or wait to see what else comes into play.

leonozug

Reaction score
If you want the Thunderbolt, I would hold out for the Incredible 2...it will be out soon, and it's a Thunderbolt done the way it should have been last fall...with 3G only. With the LTE issues and undersized battery, I wouldn't touch a Thunderbolt with a ten-foot pole. The Inc2 looks like a winner, even with the 4-inch screen and no 4G or kickstand. It's basically a Thunderbolt on the inside without the LTE issues to worry about.

Reaction score
just depends what you're going to use the phone for, I went ahead and bought the X and loving it, but for what I use the phone for, it doesn't bother me to have the newest phone

motty69

Reaction score
If HTC does not supply a 4G toggle with the phone OTB, the dev community will in short order. The LTE/battery may be an issue, but we have no reason to believe it's unfixable at this point. To be perfectly honest, we have no real verifiable info that it's a problem at all. All the people who have been using one have reported good battery life on 3G.

Worst case scenario to me is that if you have a need to use the 4G for extended periods you make sure you have the ability to charge as well. I think a lot of people are butt-hurt that the phone didn't come out when they wanted it to and are looking for any reason not to buy it and influence others to do the same. Doesn't matter if the reasons are true or not.

I and others that are still interested in this phone are going into it with our eyes open, we are aware there could be issues.

For me having Sense on my phone is a big plus. I recently rooted and romed my Eris. After a few different roms I ended up on a custom with Sense. I really tried vanilla Android and Launcher Pro, wanted to give them a real chance to win me over. I had to give up too much Sense offers to put up with them. Blur is not an option either, it's horrible. Motorola has proved time and again they don't do software well, I'm sure not going to trust their "optimizations" on the Bionic.

It's Thunderbolt for me, warts (if there truly are any) and all. Just my opinion, everyone should trust their own as much as I trust mine. Just because you want something else is no reason to hate on something based on rumor and speculation.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think the thunderbolt has the potential to be the next hacking phone to replace the d1. We all know its open like the d1 and you can not touch the kernel on a device with a locked bootloader, as of now. I think a lot of devs MIGHT by going to the TB because the path has been set up by the mod community for the evo.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If you want the Thunderbolt, I would hold out for the Incredible 2...it will be out soon, and it's a Thunderbolt done the way it should have been last fall...with 3G only. With the LTE issues and undersized battery, I wouldn't touch a Thunderbolt with a ten-foot pole. The Inc2 looks like a winner, even with the 4-inch screen and no 4G or kickstand. It's basically a Thunderbolt on the inside without the LTE issues to worry about.

Leon you are a smart man : )

Great advice

Sent from my Droid