Is there a screenshot app yet?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by OpalCat, Mar 11, 2010.

1. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

I know that past threads have talked about how to do screenshots with your computer, and people bemoaned the lack of a non-root app to do screenshots... but the threads I've seen are a bit old. I was wondering if an app had been developed since the most recent talks? Nerdy as I am, I don't want to have to do it on my computer (for one thing, I'm running "dangerously low" on disk space and would rather not install more stuff--my computer pops up that warning window every time I boot it up!)

Edit: ok I finally rooted my phone, so you can list root-requiring apps too. :D
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

for rooted phones, yes... works well
  3. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

Yeah my post specifically was looking for NON-rooted apps. Hence the reference to the lack of non-root apps.
  4. big.daddy

big.daddy New Member

which one are you referring to? I tried drocap2 but it FC's everytime.
  5. icculusX

yep, sorry, really dont think so... needs to be rooted for permisions i guess

you shoudl root, i just did last week, bet think ive done for my phone... flawless and 90% better and faster...
  6. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

I'm worried about voiding my warranty. Plus I'm a little bit lazy about doing all the research (hence my wariness re: warranty. I'm afraid I'd screw it up).
  7. big.daddy

big.daddy New Member

just as easy as its done it can be undone.
  8. icculusX

exactly, and if your worried about whatever and need to go to verizon you can just simply flash back the original "update.zip" file, and do a complete wipe on your phone, and erase some rooting files on your SD card... no one can tell.

search youtube for somehting like "root the easy way" and "unroot the east way" - its super helpful and works... and if you do root and flash some roms dont be stunned if you get costant reboots and sloppyness... takes time to work out the right ROM. I am running UltimateDroid 6.5 BlackDroid ROM overclocked to 1ghz now perfectly. No complaints.
  9. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

See I really don't want constant reboots and sloppiness, nor do I want a different UI... I just want a couple of extra features like screenshots and tethering... can you get that without the ROMs?
  10. mvezz

mvezz New Member

I would say your best and easiest bet for rooting is to use DroidMod. I have been running it for a while now with no issues. The rom has no different styling then stock and comes with Wireless Tether already installed (as long as you choose prior to flashing). It also includes a way to flash the stock rom back onto the phone. You won't lose your installed apps, contacts, messages, etc as it does a backup prior to flashing and restores the backup after. It's the best bet for a beginner.

Navigate to their site on your phone droidmod.org and download the DMUpdater. Once that app is installed you run it and it will download all the necessary files, root the phone, reboot and flash the rom (after you choose the options you want flashed).
  11. icculusX

its worth it...

as for your question I dono, ive been looking. PDANet maybe can tether? but its paid and i dono much about it. Cant find any way to screen capture without root.

you could always just root and not install any ROMs, would be the same as you have now except you can use rooted apps
  12. DroidBoy22

DroidBoy22 New Member

If your gonna want to do all that the best option is to root. You really can't do any of that stock. If you use Home++ that has an option for screen shots though (for the non-rooted)
  13. Deuel

Deuel New Member

I had the same needs. I use PDAnet for tethering and it works great! The cost is $24. For screen capture, you can use a home replacement like Home++. It has the screencap function built in. If you don't want to setup and use Home++ for everyday use, you can just switch to it, take caps of an app, and switch back to stock.
  14. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

drocap2 is only for rooted phones and works quite well.
  15. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

shoot me is a good app
  16. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 New Member

Sweeter home 2 lets you take screen captures too with no root
  17. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

I will check out PDAnet... sounds cool. Is it easy to switch back and forth with Home++? I've read a lot of bad things about FCs and all that which I really don't want to deal with... It doesn't remove your wallpaper/widgets/etc on your stock home thingie when you switch back, does it?
  18. Kack

Kack Member

dmupdater is easy and does all the work for you. its in the market to. there are videos on there website and step by step instructions. in 10 min you will be rooted and loving it.
  19. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

To change back to your default home you just locate home++ in your applications list under settings and tap the "clear defaults" button. Then when you press your home button it will ask you to choose between stock home and your home replacement with the option of setting your choice to default.

Your homescreen will be as you left it before installing the home replacement but leaving all of your widgets up will definitely affect the how smooth the home replacement runs, therefore causing more fc's than if you removed them. This is because all home replacement run right on top of the stock home rather than disabling it. This is one of the main reasons home replacements have issues with fc's because you are essentially running two home apps at once.
  20. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

I would only use it to take screenshots and then go back--I don't want to run the replacement as my default.

I am becoming sorely tempted. I will talk to my also-geek also-Droid husband when he gets home and see what he thinks.