Is That One Text Worth Your Life... Anti Text And Drive Video

Big Ry

Reaction score
Practice makes perfect. Now I can txt, shift, smoke a cig, change the station, and drink coffee all while driving. Im no ordinary human being though.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Practice makes perfect. Now I can txt, shift, smoke a cig, change the station, and drink coffee all while driving. Im no ordinary human being though.

No, you must be a zombie or a vampire. Because if you could do all that you'd be dead.:icon_eek:

Big Ry

Reaction score

No, you must be a zombie or a vampire. Because if you could do all that you'd be dead.:icon_eek:

Well, I was joking. I try to only txt at lights. But I honestly have done that before; even some variations involving a girlfriend :-o lol but back when that was all possible I was rocking an LG flip phone with T9...I literally didn't even have to look at the phone. I was a master T9er.

nerdkill

Reaction score
i really don't know how people text and drive at the same time. i've tried it and it's not just distracting, it's scary. i'm a pretty good texter as well, but trying to carry on a conversation while reading, typing, driving, spell checking, etc... is just sooo distracting.

it's scary too when you see other people doing it. you know they're doing it because they're doing the look down for three seconds and look up for one thing. you also know because they're the car that isn't driving the same speed as everyone else and keeps on pedal mashing. you can be in 5 mph traffic and they some how figure out a way to almost get into an accident every time you stop and go.

on a side note, maybe motorola can contribute to peoples safety by fixing the droid x's so they don't freeze up every time you do anything on the phone while it's in the car dock. in my experience trying to deal with a phone that is malfunctioning while in the car dock is just as dangerous as texting.

Slipstream

Reaction score
wait a second... you're not saying you actually talk to people on the phone while driving?!?!?!?!?!!!1111ZOMGGGG

i'm debating the danger of texting, not the importance, or "worth", as it is stated in the thread's title. for me, i just don't see it as anything that terrible. i've texted quite a bit while driving and never come close to getting in an accident. if i know i'm in a situation where it wouldn't be a good idea to pick up my phone then i don't. i use my judgement. just like how many people do supposedly dangerous things without ever getting into any trouble... because they use their common sense and know when is a good time to stop.

i think it's important to talk about this kind of thing though. our rights are important and i would rather be convinced by others about the dangers of this than have it imposed upon me.

I'm usually pretty in control when I'm drinking and won't drive if I'm completely wasted... I use my judgement. Just because other people can't do it doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to... [/sarcasm]

The thing is, it only takes once. One time where you miss something happening in front of you, or one tire blowout, or one animal in the road to potentially injure yourself (and more importantly, others). Even texting superstars screw up occasionally... never mind the idiots I see every night on my commute home who are wandering across lanes, doing 15+ mph under the speed limit, blocking the left lane, etc.

I have no problem with people doing stupid, dangerous things... Skydiving, Russian Roulette, punching alligators, whatever. If you screw up, the only person you manage to kill is yourself. When you're reckless on the road, you have the potential of doing a LOT of damage to innocent people who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Big Ry

Reaction score
I agree, txting on a qwerty keyboard, especially touch screen, is very hard. I don't even bother anymore unless its like at a light or stop sign.

Slipstream

Reaction score
do you ever think that the problem might just be that driving is dangerous?

Driving is fine; people are dangerous. I'd bet the majority of accidents are due to mistakes made by the driver (operator error, drinking, calling, texting, reading, makeup-applying, etc) and not mechanical or environmental. Even slick, icy conditions are fine as long as you're driving appropriately for the situation.

Big Ry

Reaction score
i just saw that the research done on the likelihood of an accident while TXTing & driving was done here in Hokieville :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana: