Not open for further replies.

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
txtdrive.jpg

We all know that texting while driving is illegal in some state, well this new application tries to hold your attention on the road while keeping you connected. The applicaiton is called Starttalking, and its a freeware in the Market for anyone that has some extra memory to handle the small file. This software allows you to simple say "computer, text swai" and it text starts a text to him and you speak what you want the text to say.

The concept is very cool considering its a freeware. I have it on my phone and already I hate it. It really does not like me nor does it work right for me, but I am guessing thats due to my strong ascent.

There is not much to say about it except how cool I sound when I say "Computer, what time is it?".

Download it:
btn-andriod_bar.gif

Reaction score
Not sure I like that it asks for permission to delete SD card contents. Why would it need to do that?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I pulled up next to some :censored: who was texting on his DEVOUR while driving. He looked at me and pulled off, lane-changing without signaling until he was in his lane, etc.

Texting while driving is bad. Period. There's a reason why it's illegal. Having to take your eyes off the road to read is just as bad as trying to type stuff out.

firefight16

Reaction score
Tried it lasted 5 minutes

Well simple too set up, but I could not get it to recognize a name only thing that worked was it read out the time, installed it in first give minutes.

Jmart922

Reaction score
I thought that was why people text in the first place so they can respond later if they couldn't be available to talk, or just to leave a message without calling someone, I do my best to avoid texting while I drive, ill always check my messages before I turn on my car

dricacho

Reaction score
You have to say the name the way its exactly entered in your contact list. However, you can set a short nickname within Start Talking. Use that name with whatever command and it works pretty well.

Well simple too set up, but I could not get it to recognize a name only thing that worked was it read out the time, installed it in first give minutes.

scoder

Reaction score
I pulled up next to some :censored: who was texting on his DEVOUR while driving. He looked at me and pulled off, lane-changing without signaling until he was in his lane, etc.

Texting while driving is bad. Period. There's a reason why it's illegal. Having to take your eyes off the road to read is just as bad as trying to type stuff out.

I don't think you understand what this app does. You don't need to look at or touch the phone once during the texting process. Just say, "Computer/Operator, text Suzy" while the phone is sitting in its dock, on the passenger seat, etc. It then asks what you want to say, out loud, and you can say "Hello Suzy" and the phone will say "I heard you say 'Hello Suzy', say 'Send', 'Try Again', or 'Cancel'."
You aren't looking at the phone at all, which is why this is so cool and perfect for people who need to contact someone while they are on the road. Next time, feel free to take a look at the article instead of just reading the headline and skipping to the reply box.

JasonAsWell

Reaction score
I don't think you understand what this app does. You don't need to look at or touch the phone once during the texting process. Just say, "Computer/Operator, text Suzy" while the phone is sitting in its dock, on the passenger seat, etc. It then asks what you want to say, out loud, and you can say "Hello Suzy" and the phone will say "I heard you say 'Hello Suzy', say 'Send', 'Try Again', or 'Cancel'."
You aren't looking at the phone at all, which is why this is so cool and perfect for people who need to contact someone while they are on the road. Next time, feel free to take a look at the article instead of just reading the headline and skipping to the reply box.

If the app doesn't read incoming texts to you (does it?), then his point is still valid.

P.S.- Work on your people skills fella. Your post would have been fine without the last three sentences.

dricacho

Reaction score
It does read the incoming texts to you. It will tell you that you have an incoming text message and asks you if you want it read or not. If you have your phone connected to the AUX input or bluetooth of your headunit, you get to listen to everything thru your car speakers which I do all the time.

If the app doesn't read incoming texts to you (does it?), then his point is still valid.

P.S.- Work on your people skills fella. Your post would have been fine without the last three sentences.

scoder

Reaction score
I'm a great people person, I just get frustrated with people who don't read anything except the headline, but feel the need to throw their unrelated and contradictory (to the article) opinion and life stories into the thread.
It's just obvious that he didn't read it and check it out, or else he would've praised the app for solving the problem he hates so much. I agree that texting while driving is a huge issue, and although this app needs a little fine tuning with understanding speech, it is definitely a step in the right direction and has a nice UI. An update or two from now, I can see myself using this every day.

chaz.ring

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this Wen.

I'm gonna check this out..... I'm also wondering how it stacks up to Vlingo and its safereader. My only issues with safereader is that it speaks a lil' too fast at times and merges the sentence into what seems like one word.

dricacho

Reaction score
There are times when Starting Talking just totally misinterprets words and use a different one but rhymes with the word you are saying. But overall, its a pretty amazing app. I wish there's a way to use a unique name instead of operator or computer, I feel like someone in The Matrix or Star Trek when I talk to my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.