1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Text And Drive Much Easier With App

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

We all know that texting while driving is illegal in some state, well this new application tries to hold your attention on the road while keeping you connected. The applicaiton is called Starttalking, and its a freeware in the Market for anyone that has some extra memory to handle the small file. This software allows you to simple say "computer, text swai" and it text starts a text to him and you speak what you want the text to say.

The concept is very cool considering its a freeware. I have it on my phone and already I hate it. It really does not like me nor does it work right for me, but I am guessing thats due to my strong ascent.

There is not much to say about it except how cool I sound when I say "Computer, what time is it?".

Download it:
    [​IMG]
  2. wrightperspective

wrightperspective New Member

Not sure I like that it asks for permission to delete SD card contents. Why would it need to do that?
  3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    I pulled up next to some :censored: who was texting on his DEVOUR while driving. He looked at me and pulled off, lane-changing without signaling until he was in his lane, etc.

Texting while driving is bad. Period. There's a reason why it's illegal. Having to take your eyes off the road to read is just as bad as trying to type stuff out.
  4. firefight16

firefight16 New Member

Tried it lasted 5 minutes

Well simple too set up, but I could not get it to recognize a name only thing that worked was it read out the time, installed it in first give minutes.
  5. Jmart922

Jmart922 New Member

I thought that was why people text in the first place so they can respond later if they couldn't be available to talk, or just to leave a message without calling someone, I do my best to avoid texting while I drive, ill always check my messages before I turn on my car
  6. Slipstream

Slipstream New Member

This, all day long. The last thing we need is an app that enables stupidity.
  7. dricacho

dricacho New Member

You have to say the name the way its exactly entered in your contact list. However, you can set a short nickname within Start Talking. Use that name with whatever command and it works pretty well.

8. scoder

scoder New Member

I don't think you understand what this app does. You don't need to look at or touch the phone once during the texting process. Just say, "Computer/Operator, text Suzy" while the phone is sitting in its dock, on the passenger seat, etc. It then asks what you want to say, out loud, and you can say "Hello Suzy" and the phone will say "I heard you say 'Hello Suzy', say 'Send', 'Try Again', or 'Cancel'."
    You aren't looking at the phone at all, which is why this is so cool and perfect for people who need to contact someone while they are on the road. Next time, feel free to take a look at the article instead of just reading the headline and skipping to the reply box.
  9. JasonAsWell

JasonAsWell New Member

If the app doesn't read incoming texts to you (does it?), then his point is still valid.

P.S.- Work on your people skills fella. Your post would have been fine without the last three sentences.
  10. dricacho

dricacho New Member

It does read the incoming texts to you. It will tell you that you have an incoming text message and asks you if you want it read or not. If you have your phone connected to the AUX input or bluetooth of your headunit, you get to listen to everything thru your car speakers which I do all the time.

11. JasonAsWell

JasonAsWell New Member

Thank you for clarifying. I need this app.
  12. scoder

scoder New Member

I'm a great people person, I just get frustrated with people who don't read anything except the headline, but feel the need to throw their unrelated and contradictory (to the article) opinion and life stories into the thread.
    It's just obvious that he didn't read it and check it out, or else he would've praised the app for solving the problem he hates so much. I agree that texting while driving is a huge issue, and although this app needs a little fine tuning with understanding speech, it is definitely a step in the right direction and has a nice UI. An update or two from now, I can see myself using this every day.
  13. fuzzym

fuzzym New Member

I wonder how this compares to Vlingo and its Safereader.
  14. chaz.ring

chaz.ring New Member

Thanks for sharing this Wen.

I'm gonna check this out..... I'm also wondering how it stacks up to Vlingo and its safereader. My only issues with safereader is that it speaks a lil' too fast at times and merges the sentence into what seems like one word.
  15. dricacho

dricacho New Member

There are times when Starting Talking just totally misinterprets words and use a different one but rhymes with the word you are saying. But overall, its a pretty amazing app. I wish there's a way to use a unique name instead of operator or computer, I feel like someone in The Matrix or Star Trek when I talk to my phone.
  16. iPhoneBlowz

iPhoneBlowz New Member

Uninstalled this thing pretty fast. It works so poorly that it would be distracting on its own. I'm just gonna stick with Vlingo. It just works.
  17. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

In the Droid Forums we want everyone to be respectful to each other. We don't need little snide remarks being made at the end of a comment to another member. Now If you can't post respectfully then don't post at all. Making remarks like the one you made scoder to furbearingmamal is not going to be tolerated. I'm changing two threads to remove that remark. After that I'll reopen the thread,
  18. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I sometimes drop a text while driving, but I usually use the newest Google Voice Search app to do it, just long press the magnifying glass, say "Send Message to Bob. Be there soon buddy" and it usually seems to work well. Again, it's not the best because you have to take your eyes off the road to read or send the message... but better than little teeny-bopper girls in their parents cars texting with one hand.

I agree with the few on here that say just freakin wait to respond. That's why its a 'message' people. Be safe...
  19. Greg

Greg New Member

I downloaded this and loved it, UNTIL I saw what a pain in the butt it was for the people that receive our messages!

It doesn't just send a text as normal, it sends the person a link. Then they have to get online to follow this link to retrieve their message! If the text just went straight thru, it would be great!

Unless I'm doing something wrong and am able to change this? Otherwise, I liked it.
  20. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid New Member

meh, I'll just continue to text message while driving.... my record is spotless and I've been driving for 20 years now. If it ain't broke....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

android app that types what you say

android apps that type what you say
android apps that types what you say

app that types what you say

app that writes what you say android
apps that type what you say
is there a android app that types what i say to it
is there an app that types what you say
is there an app that will type what i say