PSA: Teen Texting on Facebook While Driving Kills 2 and Paves Way to Prison

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I get to ride each day like it is a life and death obstacle course, and in most regards, it is.
This however, is your choice...not a requirement. My old man taught me a long time ago that if you ride motorcycles it's not a matter of if you'll have an accident, but when and how badly. And bikers are every bit as bad as drivers are. I can count on at least four hands the amount of times I've had people on bikes ride my bumper on a single lane street, zip between me and another car on a double lane street at +20 more than the limit, et cetera.

The problem is that people turn into monsters when they're on the road, regardless of their means of transportation. Driving has become so ingrained in the culture of first world countries that your vehicle becomes an extension of you. You forget that you're driving an 1800 kilo death machine or riding around on a two wheeled accelerating human catapult.

Here in the US you can't own a rifle until you're 18, a pistol until you're 21...but you're allowed to pilot a hurling amalgamation of metallic fury as early as 14 in some states with supervision, and alone by the time you're 16. The lack of logic is astounding.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
15,000 back up accidents a year are the cause for the mandated backup cameras. Those are accidents with injuries to people. It was supposed to be in effect already, but it looks like they have until 2018 to be in compliance.

I believe they should ban all cellphone activities in a vehicle. For decades people were just fine without having a phone inside of a vehicle and I believe we would be just fine without one now.

If it would save even one life I will vote for it. I have a fully functional bluetooth system that reads and responds to texts, but it won't stop me from being on facebook, youtube, etc.
Several reasons I disagree. Whether it be a long trip to grandma's or getting info about the kid, I don't see an issue with the passenger using the phone. Again this is similar to any other argument in saying we are going to restrict the responsible for the irresponsible, when the irresponsible is still going to continue to ignore the laws and bypass the system any way.

I say stiffen the penalties and have law enforcers actually crack down and start fining people.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
So how does the app know if you're driving or a passenger?

I'm just asking. I think texting and driving is dumb but I do use voice texting features to listen & reply though.
If you are the passenger you have the option to turn the feature off.Once you hit 15mph it will put the drive mode screen on your phone but it has an off button.

hradek422

Reaction score
What if there's a device that detects any cellular device within immediate arm's reach of the driver of the vehicle. If the cellular device is detected, it must be placed on a driver's docking bay in order for the vehicle to start. This docking bay will put the device into a travel-mode, and will immediately sync the device to the car's stereo system for calls, and it will prevent notifications of any sort aside from phone calls. If the device is removed from the docking bay (which will be a simple box the phone can be set down into, large enough to be universal for any cellular device), the driver will have 15 seconds to pull over, or replace the device, or the vehicle will safely slow itself to 15mph while warning the driver to pull the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle must then come to a complete stop, and the device must be placed back in the docking bay or removed from the driver's reach before the car can accelerate past 15mph.

Obviously this is not a perfect system. It would be a huge annoyance..... to some. I think it would especially annoy the people who text and drive, and I think it might just do it to the point where they'll finally stop texting and driving. Granted, if it was implemented today, it would be years before it was a standard.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Several reasons I disagree. Whether it be a long trip to grandma's or getting info about the kid, I don't see an issue with the passenger using the phone. Again this is similar to any other argument in saying we are going to restrict the responsible for the irresponsible, when the irresponsible is still going to continue to ignore the laws and bypass the system any way.

I say stiffen the penalties and have law enforcers actually crack down and start fining people.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I see both sides of the debate on this. I am responsible enough to not be distracted by my phone while driving. Then again, I am also the type of person that will not get up off of the couch to walk over to my phone if it rings or gets a notification either. It's just not that important to me.

Now the other side of the fence...
While in the vicinity of a group of people, say in a store, at the gas station, dmv, etc how many people immediately draw their attention to their phones when their phone gets a notification? The majority.

Look around at the vehicles that surround you and the large majority of their drivers have their faces buried in their phones. On the interstates, inside of city limits, no matter where you are it is prevalent.

One sheriff writing one ticket every 45 minutes is not enough. It's the same way with speeding...everyone slows down IF they see a sheriff and then immediately speed back up afterwards.

When the eye tracking recognition technology in vehicles becomes mainstream this will be a moot issue. Until then I am all about a blocking technology.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't jump when my phone goes off. All my friends do and get mad when I don't respond for hours. If its urgent call me.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If we mandate disabling phones while moving then we also need to mandate breathalyzers in all vehicles before they start, and set it so that the car can't be started unless the seat belt is in place. I'm sure we can think of a few more methods by which the government can protect us from ourselves, or we can act responsibly in the ways that we should for both our own safety and for that of others on the road.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It would be very easy to implement a system that knows who sits where in a car.

Drinking and driving is illegal because your ability is impaired. Proof has been provided that cell phone usage severely impairs you as well.

So we should still be able to use phones in vehicles? We should go ahead and make drinking and driving legal again...why allow one when they both are detrimental to others around you?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would be very easy to implement a system that knows who sits where in a car.

Drinking and driving is illegal because your ability is impaired. Proof has been provided that cell phone usage severely impairs you as well.

So we should still be able to use phones in vehicles? We should go ahead and make drinking and driving legal again...why allow one when they both are detrimental to others around

You're just going a bit beyond the scope here. I literally said that what you want is the equivalent of needing breathalyzer tests before the car will start because it is. You want to police everything, but you can't. We aren't a society when we only act responsibly because we're physically forced to. Your idea has a basis, but it would be wrong to implement.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You're just going a bit beyond the scope here. I literally said that what you want is the equivalent of needing breathalyzer tests before the car will start because it is. You want to police everything, but you can't. We aren't a society when we only act responsibly because we're physically forced to. Your idea has a basis, but it would be wrong to implement.

Google a few videos of people using cellphones while driving and maybe your opinion will change.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Don't forget that stereos and other people in the vehicle can be distractions as well.....maybe those should be banned too.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Forcing responsibility on people is never the answer. We've got enough government intervention in our lives as it is, we don't need more. You can make as many laws as you want but that isn't going to stop people from doing something stupid. Look at the war on drugs..... Yeah, that's a big success!

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah..as much as I think we need to do something.. Forcing it isn't the answer..rules and laws are already in place..its just a matter of having them enforced...

That's really unfortunate that people are so reckless with theirs and others peoples lives...people I guess don't take into consideration that theyre wielding a ton of metal or more at speeds over a mile per minute ...look away for 3 seconds and you can cover a big distance...

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google a few videos of people using cellphones while driving and maybe your opinion will change.

I specifically mentioned a video on YouTube of a woman watching TV and putting on makeup whole driving, in addition to whatever texting and Facebooking she was doing, so you're ignoring that I have in every way acknowledged distracted driving as an issue.