Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

CALJREICH

Reaction score
I think hands free cell phone usage should not be banned. There are apps like Moto Speech or Speak that allow you to text by speaking and allows you to listen to text messages hands free.
Here in Pennsylvania there is a ban on texting while driving. I have heard of several fatal car accidents involving a driver who was texting. This is very sad and of course it would be great if every driver would give their full attention to driving. State troopers here say it is hard to enforce the no texting when dring but cell phone are check for text messages when there is an accident and charges are filed if they find the driver was texting.

silverfang77

Reaction score
My inner libertarian cries, "No new laws" and "keep government out of my car", but I've also seen the selfish idiots who are menaces on the road because they're not paying attention, drifting out of their lane, holding up traffic at a light, even failing to stop altogether. It's because of jerks like these that laws like this get passed.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please keep political comments off forum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is last warning after this infractions and banning will happen.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Maybe this thread should be closed. The subject has already been beat to death, it is obviously too easy to change to a political bashing argument, some people don't get it and continue to repeat their political agenda and the only reason it was resurrected is some spam bot posted and the thread just started back up from there (look back to post #211).

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree . But we will give it one more shot

MonKENy

Reaction score
I dont understand how we are supposed to respond to a thread about politics of not politically? Or are you referring to some one else's comments?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
MonKENy said:
I dont understand how we are supposed to respond to a thread about politics of not politically? Or are you referring to some one else's comments?

You are right, MonKENy, it is a very fine line between the topic and getting caught up in the agenda of people's political party affiliation. The thread is about people's thoughts on a federal ban using your cell phone while driving not who you voted for in the last election. It only takes one post to start a fire storm of political opinions. There were a few posts that crossed that line.

That being said, a federal ban on cell phone use is not going to happen anytime too soon. I don't see the idea being much different than dwi laws. Yes, there are plenty of people who drive intoxicated often, insist they are capable and did not get into an accident where it killed or seriously injured someone. But we probably all know someone who's life was seriously impacted or ended due to dwi. Same holds true for aspects of cell phone use... There are plenty who have been successful but there are also several tragic accidents that happen due to cell phone use and I happen to know of three lives that tragically ended due to texting and driving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

silverfang77

Reaction score
Ok. Someone deleted my last post, which was not political in nature, so I am out. It's been fun.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ok. Someone deleted my last post, which was not political in nature, so I am out. It's been fun.

I have not looked for this post, however, sometimes it is not the post itself but perhaps the post it was in reply to or the heated responses that follow, which warrant its removal. This thread has been a bear trying to keep it civil (it feels like it has been a losing battle) and at this point it has been going on for so long its almost like we are running out of options. Typically we stray from closing/locking news threads, especially ones that create such a lengthy debate, so we do what we can to avoid that.

droidx2010

Reaction score
You are right, MonKENy, it is a very fine line between the topic and getting caught up in the agenda of people's political party affiliation. The thread is about people's thoughts on a federal ban using your cell phone while who you voted for in the last election. It only takes one post to start a fire storm of political opinions. There were a few posts.

That being said, a federal ban on cell phone use is to happen soon. I don't see the idea being much different than dwi laws. Yes, there are plenty of people who drive intoxicated often, insist they are capable and did not get into an accident where it killed or seriously injured someone. But we probably all know someone who's life was seriously impacted or ended due to dwi. Same holds true for aspects of cell phone use... There are plenty who have been successful but there are also several tragic accidents that happen due to cell phone use and I happen to know of three lives that tragically ended due to texting and driving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
I thnk I concur with Tis. This is a very political topic due to the nature of the thread but have no idea what one's political affiliation has to do with anything. Anytime you indicate "Federal Ban" on anything, it opens a can of worms of political debate.
As to the other topic of Cell phones, they should be banned; however, while driving. It is turning into a major problem. It's like someone drinking beers while driving.. "I can't see why they create laws for drinking while driving, I haven't even gotten into an accident, yet". Well, they say the same thing on cell phones - "I don't see why they create laws for talking and texting on the cell while driving, I haven't even gotten into an accedent yet". Does anyone see a smiliarity in these quotes?
Wow - do you know this is thread #265? I think this is the longest thread in the forum. Quite an interesting topic.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I read that if you look down at your phone for five seconds while traveling at (how many was it) MPH, you've traveled the length of a football field. That's scary.

On another note, I'd love to try one of those texting and driving simulators they've been using in high schools. I want to see how badly I'd wipe out.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There should be a law against handsfree apps that don't work correctly. It is less distracting to press and hold the #3 than speak "dial (fill in the blank) and have your phone either auto dial the wrong number or say "call(fill in the blank) and it be everyone but the one you want. A 1/4 second distraction becomes a 5 ,or more, second one and/or gets the road rage monsters ready to strike .

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From my Beano

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
What most of you pro-banning people seem to be missing about us anti-banning people is that most of us have no problem with individual states banning texting or even non-handsfree cellular use. From the original post:

...38 states already have laws on the books banning or restricting the use of cellphones while driving...

I don't recall a single person stating that this was unreasonable and that there should be no laws governing the use of cell phones while driving. What I, and most of the other anti-banners in this thread have a problem with is a FEDERAL law regarding cell phone use while driving.

If you do not understand the Constitutional limitations on the Federal Government's jurisdiction versus State Governments' Jurisdictions, read up on the difference and educate yourself. I suggest starting with the 10th Amendment and then try to find any justification within the Constitution for a Federal law regarding driving. Then tell me which Federal agency is going to enforce this law. State and local law enforcement officers do not have jurisdiction to enforce Federal laws. If a state trooper pulls you over and finds you to be in violation of a Federal law, all he can do is contact the appropriate Federal agency and hold you until they arrive.

If you do understand that the Federal government has no jurisdiction over driving laws, and you do understand that 38 states already have laws governing this issue, simply do not care and still believe that there should be a Federal Law governing this even though there is no one to enforce this new law, just be honest about it and say so.

But please don't act as if there is no recourse besides a nearly unenforceable Federal law. There are only 12 states that do not already have applicable laws on the books. If the other 38 states aren't enforcing the existing laws, there's ZERO chance they'll bother calling a Federal agency and turn you over to them.

rherron

Reaction score
All for it. Hands free too. All too distracting. Just looking up a number, scrolling through contacts, is very distracting and dangerous.

I also seriously feel the controls for new cars are too distracting when driving as well. These computer type centralized deals that control all sorts of stuff. If you have to look away from the road to make any adjustments it's a problem in my opinion. I have a new Maxima and I am telling you, while very nice, it's a bit distracting to adjust the radio, etc. GPS systems divert attention from driving. Scrolling through long play lists on the iPod. Etc. (It's OK to admit to having an Apple device, right?)

Too much crap in cars now diverting our attention from driving. If it was only a threat to the driver I could care less, but people injure or kill others as a result of all this stuff so I think it ought to be curtailed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums