PSA: Teen Texting on Facebook While Driving Kills 2 and Paves Way to Prison

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maurers2.jpg

We know we are probably "preaching to the choir" on this subject, but just for the few who might not realize how bad texting and driving really is, here is an abject lesson. Carlee Bollig is a 17-year-old from Little Falls, Minnesota, and her life has basically been ruined by her obstinance and stupidity on this subject. Bollig was driving her pickup truck with friends in the vehicle this past summer. She was texting on Facebook while driving, even when her passengers repeatedly asked her to stop. She profanely and defiantly rebuffed them, saying, "“F*ck off. I don't care if I crash." Moments later, that's exactly what happened.

"Red light! RED LIGHT!!!" her passengers screamed, but it was too late. Bollig ran the red light and barreled into a van crossing the intersection. According to the report, she hadn't even applied her brakes at all. Her decision cost two people their lives; 54-year-old Charles Maurer, and his 10-year-old daughter, Cassy Maurer were killed. It took 10 days for Cassy to die in a hospital.

The only survivors in the van were Cassy’s 16-year-old sister, Alenita, as well as her friend, Alora. Also, Bollig and her passengers survived. At first, Bollig lied and told the officers on site that her boyfriend, Deven Garlock was driving because he was the only one with a valid driver's license. Investigators were able to use DNA evidence to determine what really happened after holes in the stories from the passengers didn't add up.

Bollig now faces two counts of criminal vehicular homicide, criminal vehicular operations, texting while driving, and driving without a valid license. She could face up to 20 years in prison for the vehicular homicide alone. Please remember, don't ever be in the least bit tempted to text while driving. It can wait the few minutes longer for you to get to your destination. If it is an emergency, just pull off somewhere and stop your vehicle in a parking lot or other safe location away from traffic. The price of this mistake is far too high!

Source: StarTribune

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It is a sad story. The reality is we see it everyday. Even worse is I see people in heavy traffic on fb speeding and tailing other drivers. Where if they would put their phone down they would realize the other drivers are giving cushion because there isn't a wide open lane only 5 miles of 40 mph driving before being slowed to a stop.

To think, that driver could have done a number of things differently from either not driving at all, waiting until they got to their destination to catch up on fb messages, even have someone read them to her, all in all her attention should have been on the road and off the phone.

2 people lost their lives and one person lost her freedom, over a post that did not matter.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I see this so often down here..people texting and driving or doing whatever with their phones.. It's like...hey...screw us..right?? We don't wanna live!? Right??

Makes me so mad I usually throw my beer at em...it gets their attention...roflol

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I see this so often down here..people texting and driving or doing whatever with their phones.. It's like...hey...screw us..right?? We don't wanna live!? Right??

Makes me so mad I usually throw my beer at em...it gets their attention...roflol
I need to start throwing my empties at them. Depending on the vehicle I either get away from them or right next to them in my truck. I mean right on the line next to them. Honk if they get too close.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you care to YouTube it, there is a video of a woman literally watching TV and putting on makeup while driving somewhere over in the UK. Granted, the guy who filmed it was also using his phone, but he did so only after seeing her repeatedly doing this on the commute in. Some people just have no concern for others, in this case literally, as she said she didn't care if she crashed. It's a harsh thing, but those two people will never get their lives back, and no one involved will ever be the same, so I can't say that 15-20 years is wrong by any means in this case.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
If you care to YouTube it, there is a video of a woman literally watching TV and putting on makeup while driving somewhere over in the UK. Granted, the guy who filmed it was also using his phone, but he did so only after seeing her repeatedly doing this on the commute in. Some people just have no concern for others, in this case literally, as she said she didn't care if she crashed. It's a harsh thing, but those two people will never get their lives back, and no one involved will ever be the same, so I can't say that 15-20 years is wrong by any means in this case.
The girl knew exactly what the consequences were when she told her friends to "F*** off" and she didn't care about crashing. That right there is manslaughter. Knowingly doing something that took someones life. It's a shame this has to happen but they need stricter laws. Texting and driving is against the law here but it's not a primary offense, meaning a cop can't pull you over for just texting has to be something else.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here in Ca. cell phone use and driving is a primary offense but the penalty isn't high enough.
Here it's only $150 + admin costs for the first offense.
it should be $500 for the first time. High enough to et people know don't do it.
Some people will do it anyway.

If it's important enough to text and drive, it's important enough to pull over!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
They need to make a device..call it safe path or safe trip or crash blocker..lol..have it jam all mobile signals in your area at speeds..people wouldn't like it..but it'd be safer than going down the road with people watching Netflix and putting on makeup or texting...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They need to make a device..call it safe path or safe trip or crash blocker..lol..have it jam all mobile signals in your area at speeds..people wouldn't like it..but it'd be safer than going down the road with people watching Netflix and putting on makeup or texting...

Phone makers have already proposed disabling of the phones texting capabilities while moving in a vehicle. I believe they even came up with some apps that enforce it. Unfortunately there areally a lot of people against it.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Phone makers have already proposed disabling of the phones texting capabilities while moving in a vehicle. I believe they even came up with some apps that enforce it. Unfortunately there areally a lot of people against it.
Which are people who don't have the capacity to make that choice. My kids are the most important people to me. If it wasn't for them this wouldn't bother me as much. It burns me that is will only be a matter of time before my kids become targets or worse...victims. This can even be prevented of the tech community just work together on it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
They already have, their are a number of apps in the Play Store that prevent text messages from coming through and send an automated message informing the sender that the recipient is driving. Of course it only works if people use it. FWIW, I'm against making it mandatory. Sure it sucks people died, but this kid will be held responsible. Hopefully other folks will learn from this.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence here in Thailand. Texting and talking on the phone while driving is illegal here. When it comes to motor vehicle laws, enforcement does not exist.
They text and talk while driving their cars and motorbikes. Cops couldn't care less....

This pic was taken by David Beckham...

1416280832561_Image_galleryImage_while_riding_a_motorbike_.JPG

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence here in Thailand. Texting and talking on the phone while driving is illegal here. When it comes to motor vehicle laws, enforcement does not exist.
They text and talk while driving their cars and motorbikes. Cops couldn't care less....

This pic was taken by David Beckham...

1416280832561_Image_galleryImage_while_riding_a_motorbike_.JPG
She has a toddler and taking a picture? Eventually Darwin will win.