Is it just me?..

haproot

Reaction score
Or does the totally flat back on the Droid 3 with the camera protruding out seem like the wrong way to do it. For one, the speaker will be very muffled, and two the camera is gonna get scratched to sh*t.

I like on the Droid 1 that there is a bevel on the edges to give the bottom of the device clearance. What are these engineers smokin?

/end rant.

Still anxiously waiting for the D3 or Bionic, I'm still deciding between the two.

Pics here:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/03/droid3-gets-a-360-view-on-verizons-website/

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the Droid 1 was like that too. The Droid 1's speaker was so good n loud it didnt matter tho.

So maybe it will be muffled, cuz the the Droid 1's speaker was more exposed. Buts it hard to say until the phone gets in ppl's hands.

OP
haproot

haproot

Reaction score
Using a droid 1 myself, there is an angled edge on each end (top/bottom) that gives clearance on the back when layed on a flat surface. It's not a deal breaker, just an annoyance that they didn't keep that simple and smart design the way it was. Iphone is the worst offender about this, set it on a table it will scratch no matter what.

- sent via Tapatalk

tuffD1

Reaction score
The speaker HAS to be fine. No way they could mess that up. The camera looks like it will be okay because it looks recessed.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Using a droid 1 myself, there is an angled edge on each end (top/bottom) that gives clearance on the back when layed on a flat surface. It's not a deal breaker, just an annoyance that they didn't keep that simple and smart design the way it was. Iphone is the worst offender about this, set it on a table it will scratch no matter what.

- sent via Tapatalk

lol...I never noticed that before. That lil design difference probably made a big difference too for the speaker and camera lense while lying the phone on its back.

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
If you look at the side-view (5th Picture on DL), you can see it barely protrudes, I doubt it'll make that much of an impact on anything. lol Just don't slide your phone around on rough surfaces.

OP
haproot

haproot

Reaction score
Well hopefully it's not an issue. Just something I noticed.. You never know with these wily engineers these days! :0

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Well hopefully it's not an issue. Just something I noticed.. You never know with these wily engineers these days! :0

very true, and worst comes to worst, we could get a case and presto! no problem :p

tuffD1

Reaction score
Saw the pic. Hopefully it should have a slight, slight, slight tilt to it

Raptor007

Reaction score
I have always put some type of thin case on my phone and the D3 will not go unprotected so it should provide enough of a raised surface to prevent scratches. The bigger concern is if the battery door and the lens cover are not all one piece like we have seen on countless other phones. That could be the issue.

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score
the deal breaker for me will be the camera itself... i would not of bought the droid 2 if i knew the camera was so ****ty. i really want to stick with a keyboard but the camera quality will be a deciding factor

akhi216

Reaction score
I have always put some type of thin case on my phone and the D3 will not go unprotected so it should provide enough of a raised surface to prevent scratches. The bigger concern is if the battery door and the lens cover are not all one piece like we have seen on countless other phones. That could be the issue.

What they said ^...

If you put a case on it, you won't have to worry about it. You'd also wouldn't have to worry about the screen cracking if you happen to drop it.

OP
haproot

haproot

Reaction score
I had a nice siedo case I was using on the droid, but never really liked it. Seemed to insulate it and cause it to heat up faster especially when overclocking or charging. Also collected a lot of crap underneath it.

I can't imagine using a case on the bionic as it would simply be too big for the pocket. I'm just running a zagg screen cover and otherwise prefer it naked.

These things should not be designed in a way that it almost requires you have a case to use it without worry of damaging it. $600+ device here it should take a lickin and keep on tickin. Within reason of course. So far this OG has been a champ.

- sent via Tapatalk