DROIDX2 Gingerbread Update Appears to Be Ready, Newest Version of Blur Included

devedsmith

Reaction score
Ever since the Gingerbread update, most of my problems have gone away and the phone is pretty normal. My only issue - and I've heard this from ALL of my DX2 friends - is that it is VERY VERY slow. So slow in fact that I get "app not responding" message during normal use - browsing, checking email, sending a text, taking a photo, etc. If they can only fix that, my phone would be great. BUT, most of the time I just want to throw the damn thing in the trash. I'm not sure I trust Motorola anymore.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Wow, my X2 after the update got a bit faster. I haven't heard of anybody have a slow unit. Have you tried a hard reset?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ever since the Gingerbread update, most of my problems have gone away and the phone is pretty normal. My only issue - and I've heard this from ALL of my DX2 friends - is that it is VERY VERY slow. So slow in fact that I get "app not responding" message during normal use - browsing, checking email, sending a text, taking a photo, etc. If they can only fix that, my phone would be great. BUT, most of the time I just want to throw the damn thing in the trash. I'm not sure I trust Motorola anymore.

Wow, my X2 after the update got a bit faster. Have you tried a hard reset?

+1. I've seen this on many updates. Usually when I get a version update I wipe the phone and reinstall data from backups. Works a lot better.

devedsmith

Reaction score
I've SBF'd my phone twice and is still is really slow. Plus, it's and insurance replacement - Verizon nor the insurance co. will touch it.

nm4ever

Reaction score
Any word on 2.3.4 update for the droid X2?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
Any word on 2.3.4 update for the droid X2?

No but honestly 2.3.4 isn't even that big of an update - we probably won't get any MAJOR updates until Ice Cream Sandwhich, which is supposed to be released around November. I don't expect the X2 to get it until March/April ish. There ARE bug-fixing updates in the pipeline though.

I know they are working on updates for the phone that will hit before than. Motorola has commented over in the official motorola forums that they are specifically working on an update for the random reboots and audio stuttering issues. (which would honestly solve pretty much all my issues with then phone, so if they fix that relatively soon i'll be pretty happy)

devedsmith

Reaction score
I just don't understand why the DX2 is so slow. If I'm in any app just pressing "Home" takes about 5-7 seconds for the home screen to draw. The widgets sometimes NEVER appear and most of the time my phone reboots when I press "Home". It's ridiculous. It's not worth it and frankly I'm stuck with it. It's an insurance replacement and so I have no options. Most of the time I leave it turned off (because it has started playing sounds randomly). I really feel screwed by Motorola. I feel like I can no longer trust them as a quality maker of smartphones. My next phone will be an HTC or back to Samsung. The DX2 is proof that Motorola has given up on the consumer.

Last edited:

devedsmith

Reaction score
FYI... just as I completed the previous post, I pulled my DX2 from my pocket, unlocked it, and it rebooted. This is a FRESH SBF with NO Home mods.

mike

Reaction score
It's an insurance replacement and so I have no options.

I have gotten rotten phones as insurance replacements. It's thoroughly disgusting to pay the monthly insurance premiums, a fifty dollar or more deductible, and end up with a buggy unit. I will never buy insurance through Verizon for that reason. I've got SquareTrade on my DX2, but I've never had to use it.

As far as the Gingerbread update, every issue I had with the DX2 was resolved with the update. It would randomly slow and sometimes freeze, forcing a battery pull. Since the update I've never had a problem. It is lightning fast, and I have a large number of apps on it. It's been very nearly perfect. So perfect that I've not even been tempted to root it. :)

Jason.DROID

Reaction score
I encourage anyone to root their DX2, even if you aren't going to run a custom ROM. I've removed most of the bloatware, since I have both SBFs and a recent backup via Bootstrap.

There are quite a few account authenticators you can remove. I only use Facebook, Picasa, and YouTube. I took the rest out except Yahoo because it's tied to the Contacts and will cause an FC if you open a contact without it.

I removed Backup Assistant, all of the VCast Apps, preloaded apps, and many of the Motorola widgets that were staying in memory. Unfortunately, Blur over Android still hogs memory, but I usually have over 150 MB of RAM available.

Performance is amazing and I have about 100 downloaded apps on my phone.

nubia

Reaction score
I would love to root my phone but would need to have someone walk me thru the steps. The last thing I want is a brick.