Is it always this bad?

Iamthedragonwarrior

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to this forum-actually new to Droid as well.

I am a Verizon customer, previously Alltel. I am currently rocking a very slow running,horrible picture taking, freezing machine called the Blackberry Curve. I have been eligible for an upgrade for quite a while now. I've been waiting on the Bionic and I think I've almost reached my limit....lol.

I was really pumped up to get my new phone and learn all about Droid and then boom-no release of the Bionic. Then, multiple rumors of releases that never happened make my little heart go up and down. So fast-forward to the present and I'm relieved because this August 4th date is looking pretty reliable. But then I hear another rumor there may be this super bad boy phone, (Dinara), coming out just months after the Bionic. My little heart sinks. If I'm going to lock myself into another 2 year contract with VZW I'd like to be sure I scored a pretty top-notch phone.

Is it always this up and down with Droids? Or maybe just Motorola? And what's up with all these names? Ice-Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread? They're making me hungry! :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Release dates always seem to be later than people want them to be.

As for the sweet treats, that's the code name for each new version of Android.
Current is 2.3= gingerbread 3.0 for tablets only is honeycomb supposedly 4.0 will be ice cream sandwich and will combine aspects of GB and Honeycomb.

end of line...

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
First the easy one. Gingerbread and ice cream sandwich refer to versions of the android OS. Version 2.3.x is gingerbread, the next big update will be ice cream sandwich. Google's fun way of differentiating their updates.

Now the phones. The next latest greatest fastest superest bestest phone ever made is only two weeks away from the date you actually use your upgrade. Wait all you want, get the Dina or whatever it is and then the next phone will be announced to release 15 days later. Good luck and you won't regret an Android phone, any of them.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
I

Iamthedragonwarrior

Reaction score
Thanks ya'll, I can't wait for something to come out so I can test it out! I've been fed up with this Blackberry for quite a while. And the Bionic has me all strung out like a junkie!

kookk

Reaction score
When it gets down to it, there will always be a latest and greatest phone on the horizon. Go try some current ones out (or try ones close to release when they do)

Let's say you wait for the dinara, there will already be rumors of one better than that when it gets released.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it always this up and down with Droids?
It is always up and down with rumors. If you don't want to deal with the ups and downs then don't rely on rumors. Stick to official announcements.

If I'm going to lock myself into another 2 year contract with VZW I'd like to be sure I scored a pretty top-notch phone.
Doesn't matter what you get or when you get it. No device remains at the top for long. Something newer always replaces it. Use your requirements to shop and find a device that suits you rather than counting on having the latest and greatest.

And what's up with all these names? Ice-Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Last edited:

cloud12077

Reaction score
Let me be the first to say...

It only gets worse!

Android is like a drug. You will sit on the edge of your seat as you read rumors or new phone releases, updates, new apps, etc...

You scour forums to read the same thing over and over and over, in hopes that you read something that will fill that empty void inside of you.

If you join android, you join a cult. Resistance is futile.