Is Droid Razr Maxx HD Still Relevent?

bmwmc

Reaction score
I am looking for my first smartphone. The new Droids have lost me due to physical size increase. Is the Razr Maxx still worth considering? The battery life really appeals to me. I hope Verizon drops the price again when the new Droids hit the shelves.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
i have heard nothing bad about the Maxx but haven't used it myself. Have you checked it out in the store?

msscull

Reaction score
I have had my RAZR Maxx HD for about 3 months (previous phone was the Droid X). It has been a great phone. Always have good signal strength & usually get 2 days battery life. The only down side to this phone is the camera, which works fine in the daylight, but low light & indoors not the best. The camera was not the reason I bought the phone, it was because of the good signal strength (like the Droid X), long battery life, & closest to vanilla Android.

There also had been reports on the forums of the S3 having poor signal strength in rural areas & areas with weaker signal.

I would choose the RAZR Maxx HD again.

swharshbar

Reaction score
Yep its still an awesome phone with incredible battery life. Very much a contender when comparing other phones.

I've had mine for a almost a year and I still love it.

OP
B

bmwmc

Reaction score
I have. My quandary is whether or not the Razr Maxx holds up well enough to the newest cell phones to still warrant buying.

i have heard nothing bad about the Maxx but haven't used it myself. Have you checked it out in the store?

OP
B

bmwmc

Reaction score
Good to hear. I live in a rural area so ability to work with a weal signal is important. If I really want good photographs, I will grab a camera, not a phone. I think I will get a Razr Maxx HD in the next few days. If the price drops when the new Droids come out, well that would seal the deal.

I have had my RAZR Maxx HD for about 3 months (previous phone was the Droid X). It has been a great phone. Always have good signal strength & usually get 2 days battery life. The only down side to this phone is the camera, which works fine in the daylight, but low light & indoors not the best. The camera was not the reason I bought the phone, it was because of the good signal strength (like the Droid X), long battery life, & closest to vanilla Android.

There also had been reports on the forums of the S3 having poor signal strength in rural areas & areas with weaker signal.

I would choose the RAZR Maxx HD again.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I agree with all the positive comments mentioned above. One advantage I think the Maxx HD has over most other competitors is the great build quality. It is sold, attractive and does not have that "plastic" touch or appearance as many of the competitors do. You can't beat the Motorola radios and antenna configurations...they're the best in the business.

kac8866

Reaction score
Also, if you like running different ROMs, there is still plenty of support in the development community. But stock on the phone is good as well.

arparaspolo

Reaction score
I am looking for my first smartphone. The new Droids have lost me due to physical size increase. Is the Razr Maxx still worth considering? The battery life really appeals to me. I hope Verizon drops the price again when the new Droids hit the shelves.

I had the GS3 but wanted to go back to Motorola. My GS3's signal wasn't all that great. And I missed the "Concert" mode while recording video as I go to a lot of concerts.

Anywho, I purchased the MAXX HD off of craigslist for $225.00 then activated it on my account. Since I had insurance on my GS3 it transferred over. The phone was slightly damaged so I called Verizon the next day and they sent me out a refurbished MAXX HD. All is good and I didn't have to use my upgrade nor lose my unlimited data. WOO!.

geekabilly

Reaction score
The other factor is that the HD's bootloader can be unlocked (some limitations,) and it can be rooted -- not likely for the new generation Droid Mini/Ultra/Maxx and Moto X

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If you're just now getting a HD then it will most likely come with the new update which blocks the boot loader exploit.

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Tapatalk 4

4low4fun

Reaction score
I bought my max HD off craigslist for $200. Already came with an unlocked boot loader! Woot!

geekabilly

Reaction score
Make sure you try Team OSE unofficial Carbon roms, mine loves it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2