Is a scratch protector really needed?

Underdog311

Reaction score
I bought a 3 pack from case mate cut to fit the droid and they are really good. You can't even tell there is a screen protector on it and I have not had any problems at all in regards to touch sensitivity. If you want something easy that goes on clear I recommend them.

kifisher

Reaction score
My opinion on this topic is you might as well use your device without a protector if you are not a harsh user of the device. I would rather use my device 100% crystal clear for a certain period of time before it gets scratched, then use it at less that 100% with a screen protector for the life of the device.

S

sethmo

My droid has 3 fine scratches and about 5 pinhead chips! I never used a screen protector because everyone said it could not get scratched.

I tried cleaning my screen and they will not come off. I will post pics later. Very disappointed.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
I don't know if you need a screen protector or not, but I feel much better having one.

I bought the Verizon 3-pack for the Droid with all the cutouts. I think it's very easy to apply them if you follow their directions. I had no problem getting it on exactly and without any bubbles or dirt.

I may be over-protective of my Droid, but I just feel better with the screen protectors.

Sethdood

Reaction score
I bought some screen protector 10 pack off of ebay. It didn't feel anywhere near as nice as naked but I thought it was smart to leave it on. After reading this thread, that crap came right off my phone. The screen cleaning rag it came with is awsome though.

I shoulda put it together that condoms never feel as nice.

BuzWeaver

Reaction score
I bought the Hard Shell and Covers while I was at Verizon. The first day I had my old phone I dropped it on the drive way and scuffed the frame along with scratching the display face. So with the Droid I don't have any issues with taking precautions.

jsprings

Reaction score
I don't feel that it makes sense to use film/plastic to protect glass. If its something that could actually hurt the glass screen, then its probably going to railroad the plastic.

It reminds me of a story. When I was at the eyeglass store with one of my kids, the sales guy tried talking me into a $150 pair of sunglasses. I told him that I go through 2 or 3 pairs a year because I always lose or destroy my sunglasses and I would never spend more than $20 on a pair. He told me, that I wouldn't hurt or lose them BECAUSE they were expensive and because I would enjoy them more. I laughed.. but that was almost five years ago and I still have those $150 sunglasses and they are still in pristine condition.

Moral of the story is: Don't put things of value in harms way.. ie with Diamond rings, sand paper etc :) or get a full case to protect it.

I buy moderately expensive sunglasses for the same reason.

Over the course of a year I will lose or break 10-15 pairs of $10-$15 glasses.

My Ray-Bans stay on a rope around my neck and I always know where they are.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The thing most people are forgetting that don't use a screen protector is if you ever go to wipe your screen clean of smudges with your cloth and there happens to be a microscopic piece of sand that you can't see, you're going to scratch your screen, there is no doubt.

I bought 2 packs of the verizon ones and they fit and look perfect, it took me 2 tries to figure out how to not get any bubbles and mine looks perfect. I already see a few hair line scratches on the screen protector and had I not had the protector on, those would almost certainly be scratches in my screen. Now whenever I get enough minuscule scratches on the screen protector, I take it off and put on a new one.

I take care of my things, but this screen needs a protector if you will ever come in contact with sand, which we all will.

flavious27

Reaction score
The droid has a new type of glass screen that is a heck of alot more durable than normal cell phone screens.

BuzWeaver

Reaction score
I don't feel that it makes sense to use film/plastic to protect glass. If its something that could actually hurt the glass screen, then its probably going to railroad the plastic.

It reminds me of a story. When I was at the eyeglass store with one of my kids, the sales guy tried talking me into a $150 pair of sunglasses. I told him that I go through 2 or 3 pairs a year because I always lose or destroy my sunglasses and I would never spend more than $20 on a pair. He told me, that I wouldn't hurt or lose them BECAUSE they were expensive and because I would enjoy them more. I laughed.. but that was almost five years ago and I still have those $150 sunglasses and they are still in pristine condition.

Moral of the story is: Don't put things of value in harms way.. ie with Diamond rings, sand paper etc :) or get a full case to protect it.

Its personal preference. Prescription Glasses to Display Cover(s) is a bit of Apples to Oranges stretch comparison as I don't plan on paying big dollars for a plastic film cover so this isn't a Consumer Alert price point conspiracy to me.

Obviously we're all excellent drivers in great health and we perhaps don't live in Tsunami prone areas, but we have insurance because its the 'other people' and the propensity of nature to do things that are unpredictable, 'not me'. As far as a Hard Shell cover, I absolutely bought one. Even as the YouTube video illustrated the sides can get easily scratched/dented.

Moral of the story: I have no particular psychological or ideological issues paying a few dollars to protect my investment.

danyar

Reaction score
Screen Protector that might fit for Droid too.

[video=youtube;EUApvNzRGj4]http://youtu.be/EUApvNzRGj4[/video]

Check this screen protector out.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Definitely recommend Skinomi. I finally decided to get rid of mine and one, have to wipe the screen after every few times I use it because smudges are far more visible and two, there are small scratches all over the lower portion of my screen despite the gorilla glass.

Natey2

Reaction score
No screen protector on my DroidX, and no scratches on my screen in almost 2 years.
I get a new phone every 2 - 3 years anyway.
When is the price on the Razr Maxx going to come down? Grrr...

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

RAZRmax

Reaction score
For boinking, I go bareback. For my Droid, I wear protection dancedroid