Is a scratch protector really needed?

R

racklefratz

Not screen protector here.....IMHO not needed.

Me neither. The phone's not intended to be used with a screen protector, and Motorola warns the screen may not perform right with one.

But I will be keeping the phone in a case that covers the screen when I'm not using it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Not screen protector here.....IMHO not needed.

Me neither. The phone's not intended to be used with a screen protector, and Motorola warns the screen may not perform right with one.

But I will be keeping the phone in a case that covers the screen when I'm not using it.

Same here...I hate the way the screen protectors look on the phone.

Meathead40

Reaction score
I bought the phantomskinz for the droid, but have been debating if I should put it on or not for two reasons. 1. screen is very resistant. Yes, I know anything is possible, but with some basic care I should be alright. 2. the screen, without a protector, feels great and is how moto intended it to be used.

erasmus354

Reaction score
Unless you plan on carrying around a bunch of diamond rings in your pockets with your phone, then no you absolutely do not need a screen protector. Like the iPhone the Droid has a tempered glass screen which is very hard. Keys or anything else are actually softer than the screen on the droid which is why they can't scratch the screen (The screen would actually scratch your keys if it were sharp).

What you do need to worry about is scratching the aluminum casing on the Droid, so a case of some kind is good, but a screen protector is unnecessary.

brandon4256

Reaction score
I bought the 3 pack set from Verizon. Fits perfect and you cant even tell its on there if you apply it correctly. I was going to buy the zagg but I dont like the texture. The verizon protector is clean like glass.

Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

spikejnz

Reaction score
I had the Verizon screen protectors, but I got annoyed with how easily they collect dust and bubble up upon application. I'm currently 0/3 of those...

Having said that, I'm sad to announce that I found a small chip in the screen of my device. I have NO idea how it happened or when, but I'm upset!

Zippster

Reaction score
No screen protector here, my droid is naked and living life baby. lol

Actually, I was given the privacy/screen protector by Verizon when I bought it release day and that was such a POS it really turned me off on them.

glass2z

Reaction score
I had the Verizon screen protectors, but I got annoyed with how easily they collect dust and bubble up upon application. I'm currently 0/3 of those...

Having said that, I'm sad to announce that I found a small chip in the screen of my device. I have NO idea how it happened or when, but I'm upset!

Me too. I bought the Verizon screen protectors for Droid during phone purchase and they are terrible. granted, it was my first time applying a screen protector but the bubbles were terrible. I had to try the second one and it was alittle better as i very slowly used a credit card to push air out but it still did not look how i wanted it. I still have the 3rd/last one left but i have no hope.

mszv

Reaction score
I wasn't planning to get a screen protector, but the case I want doesn't exist yet, so I'm getting a case where the screen is not protected. I don't carry my phone in my pocket. I put it in my bag, but I'd like to put in in my bag and not worry about it.

So, any other recommendations on screens? I want something to cover the front, no adhesive, not absurdly hard to put or take off, something where the touch screen still works and the screen looks good. If I get annoyed with the screen protector, I can always take it off.

Steveindajeep

Reaction score
Scratched !

The screen is indeed not impervious to being scratched. Somehow I have a 3/16in long scratch in mine. You can even feel it with your finger nail. I had read and seen the video about the screen being so resilient to being damaged so I was going to NOT get one. Wished now I listened to myself and got one right off the bat. Getting a ZAGG off ebay for like $14. free shipping before anymore damage happens to my precious Droid.

If you cant stand having a screen protector on your phone....get one. Wish I had.

R

racklefratz

The screen is indeed not impervious to being scratched. Somehow I have a 3/16in long scratch in mine....If you cant stand having a screen protector on your phone....get one. Wish I had....

Another anecdote. Frankly, this whole "screen protector" thing is getting boring.

Cellphones are somewhat delicate and fragile. Careless treatment will likely have consequences. Normal care is all it takes to keep one from being damaged. I've never used a screen protector on any of the numerous phones I've owned over the years. It's not going to begin with my Droid, which lives inside a case that covers the screen when I'm not using the phone. Motorola recommends against screen protectors due to the potential for adverse screen sensitivity issues.

I treat the screen on my phone with the same respect that I give my eyeglasses. I have no plans to put "scratch protectors" on either.

Tojus

Reaction score
This is nice to see its very scratch resistant. I've had an invisible shield on 5 family members phones, my old Voyager and my iPod touch. After about a year they turn yellowish brown from constant use. That is the only downfall, but I'm not sure if its a invisible shield defect but I would assume all protectors have the same degradation over time.

R

racklefratz

This is nice to see its very scratch resistant.

It's glass. Whatever will scratch the windows on your house will scratch the Droid's screen. If you want to scratch it, you can do that. If you don't....well, just don't. That's what it amounts to, at the end of the day. Your choice.

DjSmooth

Reaction score
I have always used a screen protector on all of my Phones, Blackberrys and PSP and I've never had a problem with them turning colors or Bubbling up. When applied correctly they can do what they are supposed to do, protect your Shinning and New Devices from scratches.

The one that I've used for years and recommend can be found Here

uplate

Reaction score
No screen protector here, my droid is naked and living life baby. lol

Actually, I was given the privacy/screen protector by Verizon when I bought it release day and that was such a POS it really turned me off on them.

Agree. I had button reponse issues from Day 1, when they applied it to my new Droid. After taking it off, the reaction to input was night and day.

Phone is much more reponsive without them.