Is a scratch protector really needed?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with quality lessening, that type of grit will always be able to scratch glass.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
It has nothing to do with quality lessening, that type of grit will always be able to scratch glass.

I agree. It's great screen. I just don't think anyone can make a screen harder than sand. Unless you want to pay for a diamond screen

Natey2

Reaction score
Has anyone measured the reduction in touch sensitivity/accuracy after applying a screen protector? Especially if a bubble gets between the screen and the protector?
Many screens are textured to reduce reflection. Would a screen protector defeat this feature?
Screen protectors get scratched more easily than Gorilla Glass. Would you be happy using a device showing scratches on the screen protector, or would you change the screen protector every time you get a minor scratch (which would not have scratched Gorilla Glass) on the screen protector?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Natey2

Reaction score
I just don't think anyone can make a screen harder than sand.

I could sprinkle some sand on my screen: it won't get scratched. It is the pressure on the sand onto the screen that creates scratches. That pressure is what one needs to be careful about.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Natey2 said:
I could sprinkle some sand on my screen: it won't get scratched. It is the pressure on the sand onto the screen that creates scratches. That pressure is what one needs to be careful about.

i don't think i implied that any sand touching the screen would scratch it. I was just starting that because sand is harder than gorrilla glass that's why it can scratch it. Very few other substances could. I'm sure if you had diamonds in your pocket, that would do it too

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Natey2 said:
Has anyone measured the reduction in touch sensitivity/accuracy after applying a screen protector? Especially if a bubble gets between the screen and the protector?
Many screens are textured to reduce reflection. Would a screen protector defeat this feature?
Screen protectors get scratched more easily than Gorilla Glass. Would you be happy using a device showing scratches on the screen protector, or would you change the screen protector every time you get a minor scratch (which would not have scratched Gorilla Glass) on the screen protector?

I order cheap protectors on Ebay for like 50 cents. I don't change them with every tiny scratch, but whenever i get either several tiny scratches, or one or two bigger ones, i change it. Maybe once a month or so. I always get the clear ones because the matte finish becomes dull and scratches much easier. I have to change those after a week.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never had to change my screen protector because of scratching. They're actually somewhat malleable and the ones I get have unlimited replacements. I've only had to change them when an edge or corner starts to peel.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
I've never had to change my screen protector because of scratching. They're actually somewhat malleable and the ones I get have unlimited replacements. I've only had to change them when an edge or corner starts to peel.

I've found the malleable ones to be not as clear. Have you found this to be the case?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Military shields are clear.. not at first.. but a day after you install them, if you do it right, you can't tell its there.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
Military shields are clear.. not at first.. but a day after you install them, if you do it right, you can't tell its there.

Yeah i used one once. I didn't find it as clear as my cheap ones. Lol

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Skinomi tech skins at can't even tell that they're there except for where the cutouts are for the proximity sensor and the indicator light.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yeah i used one once. I didn't find it as clear as my cheap ones. Lol

Really?? Did you get it all printed up when applying?? I've pulled em off and put em back on and they're still clear. ??

Zaggs... they pixelate stuff.. bad...

But we're all different, and like different stuff.. with our own idea of what looks and feels how we like it. :)

Caesars

Reaction score
I've not noticed any pixelation!
But i still may try the military shield next phone^^

Googorola MAXX

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think it depends on the zagg... what I mean is that I've noticed a considerable difference in the 4 zaggs I've applied.. 3 owned by me... the cut is slightly different, different amounts of texture, different thicknesses..

Same with the military shield.

Glass_Joe099

Reaction score
I bought an Otter case for mine. It has a plastic protector on the case you put the phone in. It is definitely a bulky case no doubt about that. I prefer the type I bought for my wife's iPhone but I could not find one for the Razr. I probably should have looked harder or gone on line before I bought what I did.