1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Is a scratch protector really needed?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by J5311, Nov 10, 2009.

1. J5311

J5311 New Member

I know its always better to protect things then to have a scratch, but sheck this video out...

2. GBH2

GBH2 New Member

Wow, that guy is brave. That is amazing!

I think it depends on who has the phone - I think that many people could probably get away without a screen protector and be fine. In fact I read somewhere that Motorola does not recommend using a screen protector. However, I have a screen protector on mine but it is very likely my Droid could end up in my pocket with keys rubbing against it(which could potentially be more force applied than he was puting on it) or it could be in my pocket rubbing up against a small flashlight I carry or even a piece of 100 grit sandpaper if I am doing some work.

So I choose to be better safe than sorry.:)
  3. J5311

J5311 New Member

sandpaper + phone = not good... especially 100 grit
  4. rkcoll1

rkcoll1 New Member

Wow. That is an impressive video. I am using a screen protector but from the looks of the tests in the video, I may not need one. I will keep mine on tho because I don't notice any interference with the touch screen so better safe than sorry here too I guess.
  5. J5311

J5311 New Member

which one are you using?

I would like to get one, but as this video proves it doesn't have to be the best quality. I would just want to be able to use the touch screen without any flaws.
  6. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

i have a screen protector so i don't have smudges and anything on my screen.
  7. karenteresa

karenteresa New Member

Yes! I just scratched the side of my phone with the Xentris case and I'm lucky I bought a screen protector.
  8. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

why sandpaper in the same pocket?? ok, lets just say you have a rolex in the other pocket.. still.. and 100 grit might as well be asphalt. perhaps a holster is in order?

i see the point you are making though. i never put anything in the same pocket as my phone for that reason, never have. so i don't really need a screen protector.
  9. Jokool_7777

Jokool_7777 New Member

Im thinking about getting one of those invisi-shields...they look good. I got a case for it when I purchased the phone but its a little bulky. Doesnt let me show off the design. They may not recommend a screen guard but Im with GBH2...I'd rather be safe than sorry. Besides...I abuse cell phones like no other so I need all the protection I can get.
  10. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Yep, I noticed with my Invisible shield I dont get near the finger prints and smudges I do w/o one. Im not constantly cleaning the screen like I would be if it were bare.
  11. Baconstrip

Baconstrip New Member

Hurray! I'm really pleased that this thing doesnt scratch, because honestly, I don't want to put anything on my screen that would reduce the incredible sharpness of it. I would like a nice case that would provide some protection if I dropped it, but putting something over this screen would reduce a big part of why this phone is so exceptional :)
  12. Danthok

Danthok New Member

I got a universal cut to size screen protector from a friend at work. It is a WriteRight by Fellowes. Does not affect the touch sensitivity that I have noticed. After this video I don't think I need it.

That was difficult to watch .....
  13. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

I have the invisible shield from Zagg on right now and I can honestly say, it doesn't reduce the sharpness of it. It does leave less smudges and fingerprints. I know the screen is very scratch resistant already, but it never hurts to add a bit more protection, right? I can honestly say that the touchscreen and the clarity of the phone aren't compromised with the invisible shield on.
  14. racklefratz

racklefratz Guest

I just simply cannot conceive of putting a $600 device in jeopardy by carrying it around where other hard or sharp objects could come in contact with it. Even when it's in a case and the screen is covered, I only put in a pocket where there's nothing else in there. It's just inviting something nasty to happen placing it in a pants pocket along with car keys, etc.
  15. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Not screen protector here.....IMHO not needed.
  16. racklefratz

racklefratz Guest

Me neither. The phone's not intended to be used with a screen protector, and Motorola warns the screen may not perform right with one.

But I will be keeping the phone in a case that covers the screen when I'm not using it.
  17. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Same here...I hate the way the screen protectors look on the phone.
  18. Meathead40

Meathead40 New Member

I bought the phantomskinz for the droid, but have been debating if I should put it on or not for two reasons. 1. screen is very resistant. Yes, I know anything is possible, but with some basic care I should be alright. 2. the screen, without a protector, feels great and is how moto intended it to be used.
  19. erasmus354

erasmus354 New Member

Unless you plan on carrying around a bunch of diamond rings in your pockets with your phone, then no you absolutely do not need a screen protector. Like the iPhone the Droid has a tempered glass screen which is very hard. Keys or anything else are actually softer than the screen on the droid which is why they can't scratch the screen (The screen would actually scratch your keys if it were sharp).

What you do need to worry about is scratching the aluminum casing on the Droid, so a case of some kind is good, but a screen protector is unnecessary.
  20. brandon4256

brandon4256 New Member

I bought the 3 pack set from Verizon. Fits perfect and you cant even tell its on there if you apply it correctly. I was going to buy the zagg but I dont like the texture. The verizon protector is clean like glass.

Better to be safe than sorry IMO.
Search tags for this page
do i really need a screen protector for my droid phone
do scratch prtoectors work on phones
do scratch resistant screen protectors work

do screen protectors really work

do you really need a scratch cover on your phone?
does having a scratch protector put on your eye glasses real
droid dna tempered glass
i 5phone no scratch