Is a scratch protector really needed?

J5311

Reaction score
I know its always better to protect things then to have a scratch, but sheck this video out...

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8]YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test[/video]

GBH2

Reaction score
Wow, that guy is brave. That is amazing!

I think it depends on who has the phone - I think that many people could probably get away without a screen protector and be fine. In fact I read somewhere that Motorola does not recommend using a screen protector. However, I have a screen protector on mine but it is very likely my Droid could end up in my pocket with keys rubbing against it(which could potentially be more force applied than he was puting on it) or it could be in my pocket rubbing up against a small flashlight I carry or even a piece of 100 grit sandpaper if I am doing some work.

So I choose to be better safe than sorry.:)

OP
J

J5311

Reaction score
sandpaper + phone = not good... especially 100 grit

rkcoll1

Reaction score
Wow. That is an impressive video. I am using a screen protector but from the looks of the tests in the video, I may not need one. I will keep mine on tho because I don't notice any interference with the touch screen so better safe than sorry here too I guess.

OP
J

J5311

Reaction score
Wow. That is an impressive video. I am using a screen protector but from the looks of the tests in the video, I may not need one. I will keep mine on tho because I don't notice any interference with the touch screen so better safe than sorry here too I guess.
which one are you using?

I would like to get one, but as this video proves it doesn't have to be the best quality. I would just want to be able to use the touch screen without any flaws.

karenteresa

Reaction score
Yes! I just scratched the side of my phone with the Xentris case and I'm lucky I bought a screen protector.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
why sandpaper in the same pocket?? ok, lets just say you have a rolex in the other pocket.. still.. and 100 grit might as well be asphalt. perhaps a holster is in order?

i see the point you are making though. i never put anything in the same pocket as my phone for that reason, never have. so i don't really need a screen protector.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
Im thinking about getting one of those invisi-shields...they look good. I got a case for it when I purchased the phone but its a little bulky. Doesnt let me show off the design. They may not recommend a screen guard but Im with GBH2...I'd rather be safe than sorry. Besides...I abuse cell phones like no other so I need all the protection I can get.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
i have a screen protector so i don't have smudges and anything on my screen.

Yep, I noticed with my Invisible shield I dont get near the finger prints and smudges I do w/o one. Im not constantly cleaning the screen like I would be if it were bare.

Baconstrip

Reaction score
Hurray! I'm really pleased that this thing doesnt scratch, because honestly, I don't want to put anything on my screen that would reduce the incredible sharpness of it. I would like a nice case that would provide some protection if I dropped it, but putting something over this screen would reduce a big part of why this phone is so exceptional :)

Danthok

Reaction score
I got a universal cut to size screen protector from a friend at work. It is a WriteRight by Fellowes. Does not affect the touch sensitivity that I have noticed. After this video I don't think I need it.

That was difficult to watch .....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have the invisible shield from Zagg on right now and I can honestly say, it doesn't reduce the sharpness of it. It does leave less smudges and fingerprints. I know the screen is very scratch resistant already, but it never hurts to add a bit more protection, right? I can honestly say that the touchscreen and the clarity of the phone aren't compromised with the invisible shield on.

R

racklefratz

I think it depends on who has the phone - I think that many people could probably get away without a screen protector and be fine. In fact I read somewhere that Motorola does not recommend using a screen protector. However, I have a screen protector on mine but it is very likely my Droid could end up in my pocket with keys rubbing against it(which could potentially be more force applied than he was puting on it) or it could be in my pocket rubbing up against a small flashlight I carry or even a piece of 100 grit sandpaper if I am doing some work.

So I choose to be better safe than sorry.:)

I just simply cannot conceive of putting a $600 device in jeopardy by carrying it around where other hard or sharp objects could come in contact with it. Even when it's in a case and the screen is covered, I only put in a pocket where there's nothing else in there. It's just inviting something nasty to happen placing it in a pants pocket along with car keys, etc.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Not screen protector here.....IMHO not needed.