Is 4G worth the price? I say no...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Stelv, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    The coverage will be nowhere near as good as 3g. I'm sure people will switch over to 4g once they find out the price and the coverage expands over the next 2-3 years. 4g is only in major markets now(at least to my knowledge), not enough to really warrant a switch from the general public yet.

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    LOL...good point...It's only in 38 cities although VZW claims that will actually cover about 1/3 the users (overall marker of 100M) and, hmmm, poll says @ 30% will upgrade! Although, I suspect the concentration of smartphones is a little higher in major cities.

3. xRITE AIDEx

xRITE AIDEx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And this is why I'll be buying the iphone4 next month, cause 4g is not a top priority for me, and the look of the droids just doesn't appeal to me.

4. dezymond

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Didn't know Verizon was covering 4g so well that quickly. Last I heard, obviously, was covering only major cities.

I personally won't be upgrading yet and not just cause I renewed not too long ago. I am in a city that would get 4g coverage, but I don't find it the "leap" yet. I'm sure 4g is going to be great, but I'm going to wait til I hear more about the speeds and all that before seriously considering upgrading. By the time my upgrade comes around again the coverage will be much better and hopefully out of all this 4g device craze, a company will separate themselves as "the top brand"

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Their numbers, not mine (think I saw similar from AT&T). It seems surprising, but not when you consider population density of larger cities. Roughly 30% of America lives in those 38 cities - 10M in NY, 6M in Chicago, 8M in LA...

LTE will also be available in, I think, 100 major airports to start.

6. dezymond

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    All i know is I am not upgrading to 4g. New technology, I'll give it some time to grow. The new devices coming out are great, but I think everyone is pushing their products in a hurry and try to get their "foot through the door".

I'll switch in maybe a year or two, see how I feel about upgrading my 3g device, but I'm sure even then better 3g devices will be out.

And the pricing on LTE is still a mystery.

7. elvis_marmaduke

Ratings:
    +0
    If by 'give it some time to grow' you mean 'give it some time to get cheaper' then I'm with you! Lol

Sent from my Droid

8. dezymond

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    lol, my decision to not upgrade is not based on price. I don't even know the pricing plans of 4g, they could be a great deal for all i know. I did estimate in an earlier post, of how I would personally price it, but I'm not Verizon:)

I just feel the coverage isn't good enough yet. I plan on traveling alot this year and the places I plan on going might not be covered, however I know for a fact 3g is covered.

New tech, give it time to grow. That's what I always believed in.

9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    4g won't even be in my area til at least 2012 so I'm not really concerned with pricing. And if it is more expensive.. I'll probably pass. 3G handles everything I use my phone for without issue... YRMV

10. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not changing phones until my new every two rolls around, I'll be one of the last to get it, and then I'll look at 4G phones. That won't be for another 15 months.

11. elvis_marmaduke

Ratings:
    +0
    $50 for 5gigs $80 for 10 and they estimate the avg person that uses their phone a bit will use 7.6 or so gigs (which was actually right around what I clocked in @ using their calculator).

Persoanlly I'm not worried about my areas coverage cuz I live in san jose so we're like ALWAYS covered hehe

Sent from my Droid

12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Those are prices for mobile broadband and they are the same for LTE as they have been for 3G. If they were going to gouge, why not gouge the mobile broadband segment where it's less price-sensitive corporate accounts, mostly?

Search tags for this page
does verizon charge more for 4g
is 4g phones worth the money
is 4g worth it
is 4g worth it in thr
is 4g worth the cost
is 4g worth the extra money
is 4g worth the money

is verizon 4g worth it

is verizon worth the extra money
is verizon worth the money