Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Well, we all knew this wouldn’t take too long with the wonderful android developers around. When the Iphone 4S was debuted, their main selling point was Siri, which I admit is pretty cool but not enough to make me jump ship. It was obvious that in time something like Siri would make its way to Android. Now it is here, well kind of. ;)

dexetra.jpg

Iris is an app built by the folks over at Dexetra.com led by, Narayan Babu. They took 8 hours of messing around at hackathon and turned it into something that could really improve in the future. Before I get into the app here’s what Narayan Babu had to say about his app:

When we started seeing results, everyone got excited and started a high speed coding race. In no time, we added Voice input, Text-to-speech, also a lot of hueristic humor into Iris. Not until late evening we decided on the name “iris.”, which would be Siri in reverse. And we also reverse engineered a crazy expansion – Intelligent Rival Imitator of Siri. We were still in the fun mode, but when we started using it the results were actually good, really good.

Well, this may have started out as a fun joke, but now it's serious. The app searches Wikipedia for information as to what you ask. You can ask a bunch of things about topics such as biology, math, science, literature, art, and history. For example I asked “what is two times eight?’” it told me “16” Others asked funny things like jokes, so it does answer a variety of things, pretty much anything that is on Wikipedia.

iris1.png
iris2.png

So for, 8 hours I say it is not bad. It is still rather slow when answering but this is still only in alpha and will be on the market in a week or so. I can see them taking this very far in the future and good things will come out. I can see this app doing task for you as well as answering questions. Want to try it out now? click here, remember the app is still way early in development and only took 8 hours to build so be patient and see what the future brings.

Want to talk to the developer and ask him about the app? Tweet him at @Dexetra

Source: LandOfDroid

portermac

Reaction score
Voice actions in the market is just like siri and we have had it for a year.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I've been talking to my Droids for years. It's nice to see some marginal improvements, but I'm not too impressed.

g_what

Reaction score
Awesome!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Really cool! My girl got freaked out by it though when I asked "Who are you?" And it responded with something like "I am your alter ego, actually I'm more intelligent. I am Iris." LMAO.

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't ....sounds like they are begging for a cease-and-desist from Apple.

Also, let's see what Google has in store with ICS today. They bought a rival to Siri over 6 months ago and have supposedly upgraded voice capabilities. Nice to see these guys diving in though - choice is always good.

Roc_Droid

Reaction score
As portermac said, Voice Actions is the app to get. I talk to her everyday and she talks right back! It's free in the market and gives Siri a run for his money (cuz Apple users have to pay for it!)

If you don't have it, stop reading this post and go to the market and get it!

And then kiss the next few hours of your life goodbye!!

screaminz2002

Reaction score
I got a "no speech input", any suggestions?
Fixed.. I just needed voice search. Cute program. Every time I hear that voice it makes me think of: Want to play a game?

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
Lol just another way for people to get stuck on their phones...now they're gonna talk to their phone instead of people.

I actually don't find siri that amazing or new. Never did...

Roc_Droid

Reaction score
On which app? For Voice Actions, hitting the menu button will give you different setting options that might help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As portermac said, Voice Actions is the app to get. I talk to her everyday and she talks right back! It's free in the market and gives Siri a run for his money (cuz Apple users have to pay for it!)

If you don't have it, stop reading this post and go to the market and get it!

And then kiss the next few hours of your life goodbye!!

I did and only have one thing to say, "Curse you!!" The wife just got up to see to who I was talking to. The dogs are barking and I'm lmao!! :biggrin: