iPhone 4.0 vs Android 2.1

Darkseider

Reaction score
Oh really? Go ahead and open 20 browser windows and watch how fast your battery dies.
As for memory, you have to keep it powered if you are using it or not. You cannot turn off the power to half your memory to save power.

That's not true. Memory power consumption scales as needed.

OK I have on any given day anywhere between 10 - 15 browser windows open in the stock browser. I have my widgets running, with a battery miser that shuts off wifi, gps, APN after two minutes of sleep. I listen to Pandora/MP3s for approx 2 hours on the commute, browse for about 1 or 2, facebook, text and about 30 minutes of phone calls. I unplug at 100% at 7am and get home at 7:30 pm with 40%-50% every day. No task killers involved.

That's terrible battery life. You're using what? A total of 4 or 5 apps? If my Droid used that much battery in 24 hours I'd throw it in the river. Plus your short story is very conflicting with your own story. You're not a good story teller.

OK. What? Anyway. 4 or 5 Apps? Browsing on a train for one hour STRAIGHT over 3G and streaming pandora/listening to MP3s. Doing the same thing on the trian ride home. Throughout the day 30 minutes or so of phone calls and 20 or so texts. During lunch hit Facebook for 10 - 15 minutes and sometimes Engadget mobile. That's bad? Ooh and I am OC'd to 800 Mhz as well with the on demand governor. So if you think that is bad battery life you sir either don't use your phone at all. I would love to see how much battery you have left with 10-15 browser windows open and running and browsing the web for 2 hours.

mrdroid

Reaction score
Ive never heard of being able to turn on part of flash memory to save power. It is all or nothing.

It's all "on". But as it's utilized more power consumption increases. Same as a PC.
It uses more power for accessing but if you don't access it then you don't use any additional power.

Ive never heard of being able to turn on part of flash memory to save power. It is all or nothing.

It's all "on". But as it's utilized more power consumption increases. Same as a PC.

If your contention is that "running" apps deplete the battery, you're not going to find anyone to disagree with you. The question is how much power is required to have an app sitting quietly in memory versus having that memory address "empty."

Common misconception. The memory uses the same power whether an app is running or idol. As many many many end user tests have shown. It would seem memory is more of a power consumption hog than CPU on at least the Droid. I got 18-20 hrs worth of use at first. Within a couple days I installed a task manager with auto-kill features and instantly shot up to 48+ hrs. Now with task manager + apollo I can go 3 days without charge.

Though my BB Tour makes it 5 days easily and I use it just as much.

iPirate

Reaction score
It uses more power for accessing but if you don't access it then you don't use any additional power.

If your contention is that "running" apps deplete the battery, you're not going to find anyone to disagree with you. The question is how much power is required to have an app sitting quietly in memory versus having that memory address "empty."

Common misconception. The memory uses the same power whether an app is running or idol. As many many many end user tests have shown. It would seem memory is more of a power consumption hog than CPU on at least the Droid. I got 18-20 hrs worth of use at first. Within a couple days I installed a task manager with auto-kill features and instantly shot up to 48+ hrs. Now with task manager + apollo I can go 3 days without charge.

There is no control with end user testing and flash memory will not use more power when idle than when accessing.

Darkseider

Reaction score

3 days? I'll bite. What exactly do you do with your phone in that 3 day period? As in daily usage.

mrdroid

Reaction score
There is no control with end user testing and flash memory will not use more power when idle than when accessing.

You're right that they aren't controlled tests. But denying that they are correct is a little ridiculous as well. You really think there are hundreds of people out there promoting a free app for the benefit of... I don't know the dev? You're essentially saying there are droves of people lying about freeing up their memory exponentially increasing their battery life.

mrdroid

Reaction score

3 days? I'll bite. What exactly do you do with your phone in that 3 day period? As in daily usage.

It has essentially replaced my laptop. So surfing the web while out and at home on the couch. Probably 10-20 txt / day maybe 1 or 2 calls / day. Several RDP sessions. 2 Exchange accounts 1 high volume (100 or so). 1 Yahoo account.
Task listing and note pad.

I've also noticed going from 7 home screens to 3 gave me about a 15% increase in battery life as well...

Edit: I didn't realize this was still in the iPhone/Android thread... though it's still partially on topic.

BigTex71

Reaction score
flash memory will not use more power when idle than when accessing.

The applications on the Droid are using the RAM, not the Flash ROM. So that point is moot.

I agree with others that the power required to have apps sitting idle is very negligible, but power is required to hold them and the power consumption is increased with more RAM being used. It may or may not be enough to cause a noticeable battery consumption - but I don't see any hard data that shows it either way right now.

Darkseider

Reaction score

It has essentially replaced my laptop. So surfing the web while out and at home on the couch. Probably 10-20 txt / day maybe 1 or 2 calls / day. Several RDP sessions. 2 Exchange accounts 1 high volume (100 or so). 1 Yahoo account.
Task listing and note pad.

I've also noticed going from 7 home screens to 3 gave me about a 15% increase in battery life as well...

Edit: I didn't realize this was still in the iPhone/Android thread... though it's still partially on topic.

How much time is spent surfing? RDP over 3G or Wifi?

iPirate

Reaction score

You're right that they aren't controlled tests. But denying that they are correct is a little ridiculous as well. You really think there are hundreds of people out there promoting a free app for the benefit of... I don't know the dev? You're essentially saying there are droves of people lying about freeing up their memory exponentially increasing their battery life.
I'm not saying they are lying, but they are getting false results. Most of them simply tried a task killing app and maybe used their phone less that day, had more charge at the end of the day and think it is because of the task killer. Or they didn't use an app that day, there are millions of scenarios and when you look at the hardware and software working together, task killers arent needed.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Uh huh...Well let's just say I'm deeply skeptical. But if you can get someone else to test your "cold fusion" configuration and they can independently come up with the same results, I'm willing to listen. Until then, I'll consider it a fish story.

Shouldn't be hard to find someone here on the board who'd be willing to try what you're suggesting.

mrdroid

Reaction score

Probably 2 -5 hrs surfing. I do most of my browsing of this forum on my Droid. Generally 30min - 2hrs RDP. At home I'm always on WiFi. Everywhere else 3G.

I'm not saying they are lying, but they are getting false results. Most of them simply tried a task killing app and maybe used their phone less that day, had more charge at the end of the day and think it is because of the task killer. Or they didn't use an app that day, there are millions of scenarios and when you look at the hardware and software working together, task killers arent needed.

Uh huh...Well let's just say I'm deeply skeptical. But if you can get someone else to test your "cold fusion" configuration and they can independently come up with the same results, I'm willing to listen. Until then, I'll consider it a fish story.

Shouldn't be hard to find someone here on the board who'd be willing to try what you're suggesting.

So why is it on forums people are so unwilling to accept that something they aren't doing may actually work. These aren't my suggestions. They are suggestions from others that I followed and they worked. Using both task managers I've gained about 50 hours between charges. Period. So to relate this back to the OP multi-tasking is useful. And having background apps be able to finish what they were doing is beneficial. But having stale apps sitting in memory due to inability to properly close apps is a major downfall.

iPirate

Reaction score

Probably 2 -5 hrs surfing. I do most of my browsing of this forum on my Droid. Generally 30min - 2hrs RDP. At home I'm always on WiFi. Everywhere else 3G.

So why is it on forums people are so unwilling to accept that something they aren't doing may actually work. These aren't my suggestions. They are suggestions from others that I followed and they worked. Using both task managers I've gained about 50 hours between charges. Period. So to relate this back to the OP multi-tasking is useful. And having background apps be able to finish what they were doing is beneficial. But having stale apps sitting in memory due to inability to properly close apps is a major downfall.
You are making claims of getting more than 50 hours from a battery that is 1390mAh.

Yes it is good tasks complete their business and then they can sleep. Having apps in memory constantly sleeping does near nothing for power consumption.

The problem with apps running in the background is you have a person write an app that doesn't know how to write code properly so their calendar constantly sync (current thread about this) then you need to kill the program OR you could uninstall that app and not use it. Poorly written code will kill your battery with task killers or without them.

Darkseider

Reaction score

Based on those numbers I am sorry but I am going to have to call shenanigans on you. There is really no way a 1400 mAH battery is going to give you an average of 7 hours of web surfing, 2.5 hours of RDP AND constant email sync and an hour or two of phone calls. With the backlight OFF the screen alone would tear through the battery, let alone the actual processing, wireless usage (wifi OR 3G).

EDIT: Those times are DAILY for surfing and RDP, correct?

Last edited: