iPhone 4.0 vs Android 2.1

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by 88g, Apr 9, 2010.

1. 88g

88g New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which one is better now?:motdroidhoriz:

2. crspang

crspang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Android 2.1, because its still open sourced.

3. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The one that works best for you.

4. Cole119

Cole119 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a close call... I do like the way iPhone OS4 multitasks though (not having the processes run in the background, it just freezes them where they are, so it saves battery and performance), hopefully Google will implement something similar with the next release of Android.

5. junpar

junpar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    android 2.1's multi-tasking is already like that. If you aren't downloading something your program just sits in memory and does not use cpu cycles. Linux is very good at doing this.

6. 88g

88g New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do we have to kill task? Some people say yes, but some people say no need to kill any tasks. :motdroidhoriz:

7. Riddick

Riddick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was surprised that so many Ifanboys were cheering this upgrade. I thought it was pretty subpar. They're adding a primitive version of multitasking and folders, things other phones have been doing for years. It's an ok upgrade for them but nothing particularly impressive especially considering that a jail-broken Iphones could already do those things. Then again the 2.1 upgrade from Android was also pretty lame compared to what was already availuable in 2.0.1. Iphones upgrade is a bigger leap for them than our upgrade was.

Isn't Iphone getting a new phone as well soon? What are the specs on it? Outside of a better network and being more open the real benefit is the superior hardware.

8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this just isn't an upgrade. Don't you have to purchase a new iPhone? I mean it's not like a firmware upgrage, I thought this was the next "iPhone" like the 3G was.

9. Riddick

Riddick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No you don't *have* to kill any tasks. Your phone will work perfectly fine without you killing tasks manually, the system does it on its own. With most programs all you have to do is keep hitting the back button or hit menu/exit if the option is available and the program will close on its own.

You can install a free task killer and have it auto-kill most programs when your phone is asleep and it will help with battery life however there are some negatives that come along with doing that.

Really it's just a personal preference thing.

10. mrdroid

mrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Correct. Apple make you pay for ALL updates. Including OSX updates.

11. Riddick

Riddick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's like when the Nexus came out and it had 2.1 and then was available as an upgrade to us later on. Same thing. The latest generation Iphone/Ipod touch will be able to upgrade, the gen before it will get everything except multitasking, and the first gen Iphones and Ipods wont be able to upgrade at all. At least that's what I have been reading.

source: http://gizmodo.com/5512635/iphone-os-4-all-the-new-features
    "When the software ships in the summer, iPhone 3GSes and iPod Touch 3rd-gens devices will get all of the new features. The iPhone 3G and Touch 2G will get "many things," which doesn't include multitasking. I repeat: the iPhone 3G won't get multitasking, ever. iPhone 2Gs will be left on a hillside somewhere to die of exposure, or something. Apple didn't drop any clues about the next iPhone's hardware, but it's a fair bet that we'll see some changes come June."

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  12. smrivera80

smrivera80 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    3G iPhones can upgrade the OS to 4. If you have anything older, a hardware upgrade is required.

Sorry for the repeat of information...everyone posted at the same time I did!

13. 88g

88g New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Battery cannot be replaced in the iPhone is another trick for Apple to earns money.

14. dos

dos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My husband has the iPhone 3GS and I believe with the iPhone you do not have to pay for updates. On the iTouch i think you do have to pay for updates.

15. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you trolling? It's a subjective matter, as it always has been. Smartphones have never been one-size-fits-all and will never be. Best is whatever suits you best. Whatever suits you best may not suit the next person best, etc.

That makes sense. I mean:

2.0.1 to 2.1
    versus
    3.0 to 4.0

Changing the number to the left of the decimal usually reflects major changes.

Search tags for this page

android 2.1 vs 4.0