Insurance, Droid X, and Cold Hard Cash

Got2BAndroid

Reaction score
Do you believe that insurance on your Droid X is worth your cash? :greendroid:

RJS5689

Reaction score
Absolutely! Coming from over 4 iPhones before my Droid I always missed insurance. I was sick of paying $400+ for a new phone due to damage. At least now if I damage my phone I can get a replacement.

littlerick

Reaction score
i would think so, its $600 to replace without contracts. atleast the 1st year or until they get cheap on ebay

kdkinc

Reaction score
Do you believe that insurance on your Droid X is worth your cash? :greendroid:

to be harshly blunt if you don't get insurance some would say your a idiot.
I would say you don't deserve the phone.

read the I jumped in the lake thread.

No one wants to pay for insurance until they need it...

BuckeyB

Reaction score
I checked with my homeowners insurance and took out a "computer" endorsement/attachment to my homeowners policy. The min coverage is for $5,000 with a $50 deductible. It covers all my computers including my droid phone. Yearly cost is .... $19.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've had cell phones for over 15 years and never once did i need a replacement due to damage caused by me. Some people take better care of their things hen others. If you are a clumsy slob then yes you will need insurance.

Happyappy

Reaction score
I checked with my homeowners insurance and took out a "computer" endorsement/attachment to my homeowners policy. The min coverage is for $5,000 with a $50 deductible. It covers all my computers including my droid phone. Yearly cost is .... $19.

That's an interesting concept...never considered that. Does this cover accidental "user-inflicted" damage as well as loss or theft?

I've never had insurance; and in over 18 years of owning cell phones, never needed it. I figure I've saved enough to be self-insured by now.

That said...19 bucks a year buys a lot of peace of mind. :)

dangerous

Reaction score

Thats a good deal. I will have to check that out..

ChugIt

Reaction score
I don't trust insurance companies. I have insurance on mine because it is specifically for my Droid. I think a homeowner's policy would be quite a hassle in most cases. The first time you may be ok if you break it climbing into the attic or something. The second time I could see the insurance company trying to get out of paying when it falls off the kitchen counter or something. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I just don't know if I would trust Allstate to pay for my Droid.

kdkinc

Reaction score

Great deal! Can't do that in Florida at least with Cotton States Insurance

kdkinc

Reaction score
I've had cell phones for over 15 years and never once did i need a replacement due to damage caused by me. Some people take better care of their things hen others. If you are a clumsy slob then yes you will need insurance.

Insurance is for unplanned catastrophic events.

clumsy has nothing to do with it however you are indeed fortunate.

Rindaen

Reaction score
For me its really not worth it.
I have never Lost a Phone
If Im not in Bed my phone is on my side or in my Pocket , Therefore I have never had a Phone stolen.

I treat my Phone like I do the Key to my Corvette.
Phone and Car are safe :)

By The Way, That actually goes for two phones Since I carry a work mobile and have done so for 12 Years.

peterk814

Reaction score
Things happen whether you take care of them or not. Im sure you take care of your home or your car like its your baby but still insure both of those things (whether its necessary by law or not) All it takes is one little piece of gravel kicked up on the interstate to crack a windsheild that would cost 300-400 bucks to change or a dumb kid on their cell phone to crash into you. No different with the cell. You could leave it on your night stand only to have your wife or gf bump into the stand and knock it off and break something.

Insurance is always nice to have as well since you can exchange the phone every year or so after its seen better days.

Clew

Reaction score
None for me. Today is my first full day with a smart phone (my Droid X), and I'm not sure the extra money was worth it (don't use social networking, really just take advantage of mobile web browsing). No way would I want to add $8 a month plus deductible on top of that when I'm thinking I may downgrade back to a more practical, wallet-friendly phone after this anyway.

helmsleyl

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day.

I pay $6 a month for the coverage, so that's $144 over the 2yrs contract. plus $50 deductible if i do claim for a new phone. So basically that's also $200 right there.

To me it's worth it, it's just for peace of mind really. I feel that paying a small amount each month is better than having to pay a huge sum at once if something bad happens.