Insert SD card?

andreah1

Reaction score
Probably stupid question but just got a replacement Bionic, everything has been going slow but sure but now just tried to take a picture with the camera and it says to insert sd card? I have one in there...it worked fine in the other Bionic? Anything I can do? The thought of that card being dead makes me want to be dead...lots of info saved on there.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Probably stupid question but just got a replacement Bionic, everything has been going slow but sure but now just tried to take a picture with the camera and it says to insert sd card? I have one in there...it worked fine in the other Bionic? Anything I can do? The thought of that card being dead makes me want to be dead...lots of info saved on there.

Try connecting to computer and see if the card is recognized. Also, try removing and reinserting the card in the phone. If the computer recognizes the card, but the phone will not then backup the card to the computer and reformat the card.

Good luck.

ETA: in fact just removing battery and rebooting phone may help.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home (at work now), I tried removing and reinserting, nothing. Oh man, I'm gonna be SO upset. This stupid Bionic (and the one before it) has been nothing but problems from the start.
p.s. - it's also saying internal storage not available.....

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suggest having the phone format the card, rather than the computer. It will create a new LOST.DIR so you don't have to move that back. Funny, when I did that it changed the name of the card (according to the computer) from "Removable Drive" to "MOT," same name as the internal card.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
I'm praying I don't have to do any formating, I just looked at the pictures on there on Saturday and now all of a sudden it doesn't work? And it says internal memory not available? I hate technology sometimes!

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
update - battery pull worked....think there's a glitch there though? Should I maybe back up pics then reformat? Or not worry.....

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
update - battery pull worked....think there's a glitch there though? Should I maybe back up pics then reformat? Or not worry.....

I always back up my photos. unless you don't care if you lose them.
As far as reformat probably not necessary. People forget that these phones are computers now & every once In a while they need to be turned off & re booted.

Even though it is probably fine I personally would just back up the card & re-format because it is not a big deal to do & I am kind of anal that way.
If you have not completely set the phone up yet. I would also do a FDR from the settings menu since this has shown to correct a lot of issues that crop up later that people did not even know they had.
Just get the FDR out of the way now instead of after you get the phone just the way you like it & realize there is another issue.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
I just went on the phone to do something and it says no sd card inserted. What the heck is going on? Is there something wrong here? I mean, yes, there is but I'm confused! The pictures were just there! And yes, the phone is all completely set up again so no way in heck I'm doing a fdr. I sat in Wendy's with free wifi for an hour downloading apps, not doing that again. Should I call VZW?

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Ok, I think I've figured this out....lol....I have the phone connected to my work computer by usb to charge (because the battery lasts like a whopping hour at a time) and I disconnected it to do something and noticed the pictures were back! So, is there some strange little thing going on inside that little phone brain that you can't access the card when it's plugged in for charging (at least to a computer)? Weird.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think I've figured this out....lol....I have the phone connected to my work computer by usb to charge (because the battery lasts like a whopping hour at a time) and I disconnected it to do something and noticed the pictures were back! So, is there some strange little thing going on inside that little phone brain that you can't access the card when it's plugged in for charging (at least to a computer)? Weird.

Yeah, under ICS the default is the Mass Storage Device which "disconnects" the SD card from the phone so it can be accessed by the PC. Also when the card is ejected from the PC it takes a little bit for the phone to access the card. You can have both the PC and the phone see the same card at the same time, but you have to be rooted.

What I do is use a regular wall charger so I don't have to connect it to my work computer.

mattjenn

Reaction score
With ics there is no charge only mode so yes when you hook to a computer it will unmount SD card as for you saying battery don't last boot into recovery and wipe cache i get almost 8hours on stock battery with very heavy use

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Thanks, too many silly little things to learn with ICS, sigh. Now if they'd fix the stupid batter problem I'd be happy!!!!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, too many silly little things to learn with ICS, sigh.

Has the Femocell Indicator come up on your phone yet? It'll appear right above the cell phone bars. It has to do with extended networks.