Inaccurate battery level

silverfang77

Reaction score
Just recently I've noticed that even after my phone has been on its charger for several hours, the battery level still appears at 80-90%, which it was at when I put the phone on the charger. If I long press the power button to bring up the shutdown dialog, the battery meter immediately jumps to 100%.

I thought this might have been because of a battery meter widget I had installed, so froze the widget, but still had the same thing happen today.

Is this an early sign of impending doom for my battery?

I've had this phone for a year.

Thank you.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Have you calibrated the battery meters lately? Let it run down to 5% turn phone off and recharge, should do that once a month.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Um... No. I've never done that. I'll do it today. Does the phone need to be turned off when charging?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Discharge as you would normally do, then yes power off and recharge til full.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Will do. Thanks.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk!

Erikbal

Reaction score
I am not having this issue but was wondering if this helped your problem at all?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
I used my phone on the battery with the meter saying it was at 40%, then it abruptly shut off. I plugged it in to charge and it says it's at 0%. I know it is not recommended to let the battery get that low. That said, am I in trouble or should it still be able to charge? This is the first time it's gone to 0%.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I used my phone on the battery with the meter saying it was at 40%, then it abruptly shut off. I plugged it in to charge and it says it's at 0%. I know it is not recommended to let the battery get that low. That said, am I in trouble or should it still be able to charge? This is the first time it's gone to 0%.

You are suffering what is know as the battery meter getting out of sync with the actual battery levels. What needs to be done is to allow it to charge to 100% while the phone is still powered off. Once 100% is reached, use the phone until it gets to the level where the popup warning appears that tells you to plug in and charge. At that point, power the phone off again and repeat the charging process to 100%.

You should be good to go from there on.

Good luck! :biggrin:

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
OK. I'll try it again... if my phone even works after reaching 0%. :-(

MegatronJE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Driod Tubo
when i had my driod 4 it would not hold a chrage i would turn it off every night and plug it in and switch it on in the moring and it was still dead some times i would turn off all data and it would be dead in 4 hours the last time i used before i thew it away i left work with 100% on the battery made one 15 min call and the battery fell to 50% right before it died i check the uptime 2 hours 50 min then dead so i thew it in the trash can it lasted 8 months so i got my old driod 2 out so far it works better and lasts longer then my driod 4 ever did