Battery Charging Issue

dbraunsdorf

Reaction score
All,

Noticing today battery charging issues-I am using the stock charger and USB cable that came with the Droid 4 (purchased 4/2012). The "Charging" display on screen when the phone is connected to charger does not seem to increase above 70%. I just noticed this earlier today; the phone has not been severely damaged, no water, nor received abuse, etc.
I typically charge the phone about once per day, battery runs down to about 15-20% before I charge it.
Still, I can have the phone connected to the charger and plugged in for an hour or more and the meter does not increase as before. Something is obviously up.

I have not modified the phone code or settings apart from adding more common apps.

Is this common? Anybody else here find these issues? Solutions?

Thanks

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
do you have another charger? if not try charging from pc.
if it charges, replace wall charger, if it does not charge
it could be bad
usb port
battery
software
other hardware

SnglGrma

Reaction score
All,

Noticing today battery charging issues-I am using the stock charger and USB cable that came with the Droid 4 (purchased 4/2012). The "Charging" display on screen when the phone is connected to charger does not seem to increase above 70%. I just noticed this earlier today; the phone has not been severely damaged, no water, nor received abuse, etc.
I typically charge the phone about once per day, battery runs down to about 15-20% before I charge it.
Still, I can have the phone connected to the charger and plugged in for an hour or more and the meter does not increase as before. Something is obviously up.

I have not modified the phone code or settings apart from adding more common apps.

Is this common? Anybody else here find these issues? Solutions?

Thanks

Try letting the battery drain all the way down and let it turn the phone off when it dies a couple of times a month.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Sometimes, I get stuck on 60% for about an hour. After that, it goes back to normal. However, people had these problem before, including myself. Just order up another charger, it is most of the time the culprit.

OP
D

dbraunsdorf

Reaction score
Phone charges fine now-was the charger.

Can one by a battery for this in a retail outlet? The guy fixing it ripped the ribbon connector, and I need to access the data on the phone asap.

Thanks

OP
D

dbraunsdorf

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that, I was meaning more like a Best Buy, Radio Shack, VZ store, etc.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
not likely as it's non-removable, and only to be serviced by a pro

MegatronJE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Driod Tubo
i used to charge my D4 in my docking station it spent more time on the dock then off when off it would be totaly dead in 2 hours even with all data switched off i hope mortola gets away from the built in battery soon

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
they just switched to non-removable, every device before Razr had a removable battery

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Try letting the battery drain all the way down and let it turn the phone off when it dies a couple of times a month.

That ^ is not a good practice. There's no reason to allow it to drain all the way to a self-powerdown, and if the meter isn't well calibrated to the battery you run the risk of deep-discharging the battery and suffering the phone becoming unresponsive to the charger (white light of death, bootlooping, etc.).

As long as you allow it to drain to 10% once every one or two months, followed by a full powered-off charge to 100%, you're good to go.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
insert another lengthy battery calibration editorial by FoxKat here :p

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

This guy ^ is apparently an unknown disciple of mine! Good work! He's absolutely right. Draining a LIPO battery to the self-shutdown point (or worse...lower), is stressful to the internal chemistry of the battery and over time will reduce its live expectancy. Likewise, charging to the maximum amount will have a similar diminishing effect on the battery.

This is evident in electric cars, where they have a "battery extender" charging setting which only charges the batteries to 85%, and shut down at 15%. This means the batteries only run in the middle 70% of the full cycle, and can result in from doubling to as much as 5 times the life (net 100% charge cycles), of the batteries. Considering a battery pack for a car can be $7,000 or more, it makes good sense to be gentle to them.

Motorola and other manufacturers are trying to balance the wants and desires of the end users (long runtime, low weight and size), with the cost-effectiveness and engineering limitations of the current battery technologies. As a result, some manufacturers will install slightly smaller batteries (to cut costs), and then set the charge and discharge thresholds wider to allow for longer runtimes on one charge. This unfortunately means the batteries will start to show their age sooner.

Other manufacturers (like Motorola with the RAZR MAXX), decided to go with a larger battery in a bigger footprint but with less bulk (thickness), and by having the larger "tank", they then set the charge and discharge thresholds narrower, so the runtime is comparable (and actually longer than competitors), but a the same time the battery lasts longer due to being less stressed at the top and bottom of the charge cycle.

I have posted countless times about all of the information above and earlier in this thread, as well as in countless other threads. I've even gotten into a couple "heated" debates with a few who insisted, even with all the third-party information I was able to throw at them, that I was wrong...well, I'm still here, they're gone. I'll let the reputation speak for itself.

Last edited: