Ignorance w/ Launcher Pro

x0prahWinfr3yx

Reaction score
Why oh why are people using Launcher Pro for their phones? I realize it's pretty nifty, but has anyone taken the time to actually look at what you're allowing that program access to?

Edit and read your SMS, MMS, Gmail
Access to your browsers history, bookmarks calendar events, contact data, and the ability to write to all of these things
Modify your SD card
phone calls and such

does no one else see this as a complete security violation? and yet everyone swears by this *free* product.

AtrusNex

Reaction score
Well by that logic, you better not put a custom ROM on your phone because one of the developers could put malicious code onto it. Heck, you shouldn't even use a phone since Google and Verizon have access to these features, and if they truly wanted to they could do anything to your phone. Yes, sure there's a risk that the dev could misuse the application privileges, but the building I'm in could also collapse right now. Should I stop being inside buildings? With as much notoriety as this person has gained, they have a decent liability, especially since he does have a bank account tied to him now. Everything is a risk, you pick and choose what's worth it or not. Currently in my opinion, Launcher pro is the best launcher program by far, so the risk is worth it for me.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP
X

x0prahWinfr3yx

Reaction score
while the app may not be using all of the personal data it's collecting, how are we supposed to trust this developer? I fear we're blindly following suit without even making an observation of the privacy we're giving up.

Other launchers do not utilize any of your private data like this one, what part of it's code would require such a thing?

five bucks says that the developer is selling this to advertising firms

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
while the app may not be using all of the personal data it's collecting, how are we supposed to trust this developer? I fear we're blindly following suit without even making an observation of the privacy we're giving up.

Other launchers do not utilize any of your private data like this one, what part of it's code would require such a thing?

you dont have to download it, you know..

Droidfish

Reaction score
Thanks foe the heads up but like said before this dev has gained notoriety in this community. He also has a pretty decent following which of course the two go hand on hand, but with that many users any misuse or malicious actions thru LP would be noticed quickly. There is risk involved in everything. The important thing is to give any risk you take the amount of calculation it deserves.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jonfhancock

Reaction score

It is super obvious why it needs all those permissions. LauncherPro Plus (which is built into LauncherPro) includes widgets for contacts, bookmarks, sms/mms, and calendar (like the Sense UI widgets), with more to come. How can those widgets work without permission to access the data?

So should we not trust HTC because Sense UI needs permission to access our data so their widgets can work?

eliassami5

Reaction score
you obviously have no experience with the launcher and you obviously do not understand how Launcher Pro or Android operate.

kennydied23

Reaction score
You must not know about Fede, the creator of LauncherPro. He comes around here often to get feedback on it and he asks people what features he should add and what bugs he needs to kill. Actually there's a whole big thread about it.

You can definitely trust Fede.

velocity92c

Reaction score
lol, this might be the most ignorant thread I have ever read, not only on this forum, but on the HUNDREDS of threads I've read in the past.

Reaction score
As ridiculous as this is I'm glad we get posts like this occasionally. Nothing like a good laugh in the morning.