If you could only have/recommend 5 APPS ?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
titanium backup.

rom manager.

Tedds Droid Tools.

Titanium backup.

and

Titanium backup.

you see a theme there?

No...

But you said Titanium Backup three times, dmacleo. I guess you didn't know you had typed it already, so you might want to replace those with other apps! :D

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
LOL yeah it was a moment :)
serious, its the one app I consider most important. and the dev Joel is awesome.

Reaction score
This thread helped me a lot when I first got my Droid. So here's mine 6 months later. I couldn't keep it to just 5 top apps.

ADW.Launcher
NewsRob
Dolphin Browser HD (2.0)
FTP Server (for transferring files between PC and Droid)
Handcent SMS
Scanner Radio
Shazam
Slacker Radio
Radar Now!
ASTRO File Manager
AK Notepad

Rooted apps:
Titanium Backup
setCPU
ROM Manager

debdroid1a

Reaction score
LauncherPro-- lets me have 7 windows/screens for all my aps. You can also create folders to put similar aps in and I did that before LauncherPro, and may need it again, but maybe not...

I think I use these the most on LauncherPro or my home screen
Aldiko -- ebook reader. Until Kindle comes along I've been using this.
Twidroid -- twitter on droid, better then even the twitter ap
Facebook
Gmail -- e-mail of course
Weatherbug -- a widget but I like it. I open it up to see the weather for the day or week.

Battery -- a widget Gives the level of battery (i just look at it as needed, so I don't really use it like an ap, but do use it)

I use others, like browser. And just added some shortcuts on my screens to the booksmarks I use most.

I guess I also use the Games a lot too. With LauncherPro I created a screen of them.

Of couse I'm glad we can have more then 5dancedroid

Last edited:

armeddroid

Reaction score
have to add Aldiko. just started reading ebooks and have tried a lot of ebook readers and this one is the best. so many features. several ways to turn the page. day and night themes., which are customizable. you can change brightness by sliding your finger left or right along tthe top of the screen. genious. plus the ui is beautiful. like my very own bookshelf. great app!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Laputa just added flip animation,. Night mode, font change today. Real nice.. almost like a faux ireader.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

nmos

Reaction score
Ok, I already added my 5 but I just ran into an app that blows them all away. Subsonic allows me to stream all of the music on my server at home to my phone. Very cool!

zigs16

Reaction score
My favorites:

xScope Browser - best browser IMO. Very user friendly.

Pandora - I love the widget and use it all the time.

Color Flashlight - Very useful, wish I could find a flashlight that implemented the LED on my Incredible, though..

3 Banana Notes - Favorite notes app, I prefer the widget for ease of use.

Gmote - Remote computer control. Awesome app that works through the shared wifi connection between your computer and phone. Can control the cursor, change music, stream music from computer to the phone, all from the phone.

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
I am going to give a brag on the standard phone contact log and say I think the call log counter that tells me how many hours and minutes ago I spoke to someone is ingenious. In my previous post I should have given credit where it was due. That feature is very thoughtful and I like it when it comes to logging my calls.

berzerkus

Reaction score
1) Launcher Pro
2) Handcent SMS
3) Rom Manager (root)
4) Wireless Tether (root)
5) Locale (pay app but worth it)

imgrtful

Reaction score
anyone tried TIKL yet.all of us at work have it and it is awsome.push to talk on the Droid.you can even have multiple people on the line but that gets confusing as each one wants to talk over another

Salvadroid Dali

Reaction score
Hard to narrow down, but since I prefer to have apps that help my Droid experience be more efficient, here goes;

1. Handcent
2. No Lock
3. Screebl
4. Home Switch
5. xScope Lite

Cheers!

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Top 5..was kinda hard but these r the ones i use daily

Weather & Toggle Widgets
Dolphin Browser HD
Handcent SMS
Slacker
Redskin News

firetresses

Reaction score
Useful apps that the average person would enjoy:
1. Handcent SMS
This should be installed on every DROID phone that is going to send/receive any kind of messages! This app solves a lot of problems that the basic messaging features on the phone lack. You can add contacts to a composed message using groups of contacts, or by selecting individually from a contact list. Allows you to pull the attachments out of all your messages on one easy screen, as well as individually per message. Makes it easy to grab those pictures or audio files or ringtones people send you. Supports so many other features that I won't list them here.

2. ShopSavvy
Way better than "Barcode Scanner"

3. Shazam
Identify playing music by holding the phone near the music. (Artist/Album/Song names)

4. Pandora
Online streaming music radio based on the type of music you prefer. As you listen and rate songs good/bad, the station plays songs more accurate to your taste. Excellent replacement for standard radio. Hook up a FM transmitter and your good to go in the car too (remember DROID uses standard headphone jack, which is awesome for compatiblity).

5. Power Management Widget
I think this actually comes pre-installed because I don't see it in the main slide out window. Go to add a widget and it says "power" something. Lets you change screen brightness, blutooth, wifi, gps on and off. Good for quickly adjusting the screen brightness to save power. I usually turn the brightness all the way down indoors, then back up when im outside.

I have other small things on here but these are 5 good apps that could offer a better experience for the average DROID user. I have only had my droid for 2 days now, so im sure there are plenty of other great apps out there.

Oh, and all the apps I mentioned are free in the market. As of right now, I consider Handcent SMS to have been the most useful of the apps I installed. The stock messaging interface/features are really horrible. This app makes the phone what it should have been like to begin with, and more.

This is like more than 6 months later, but i have to tell you that Power Control :) freaking ROCKS! :). I had the WIFI on/of widget and I loved it. Lags a little at times, but this all in 1 widget that's preinstalled... LOOOOVE it :)

and I got into the handscent SMS game later, but it's the only messaging program i use, it's awesome. and yes the native messaging lacks so much in features it's ridiculous.