ideas for Best galaxy nexus screen protector

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good review. I like to read constructive reviews like this.

As far as the packaging goes I do have plans on putting it into something more high end but I have to buy them in lots of 10,000 pieces. We we not big enough yet to justify it. We do make sure than they all are shipped in a box so the protectors don't get damaged.

The construction paper is there to make sure that nothing dents or affects the screen protector. We do include a spray bottle so we try to make sure everything arrives in perfect condition.

As far as the hard card, we don't include one because ZAGG has a patent on it. I am currently working on something that will be superior to what ZAGG uses but in the meantime you get the same result by using a credit card wrapped in the high end cloth we include.

The protector shouldn't be horizontal to the packaging at all. I've never heard of that happening before.

All of our protectors are made in the USA and packaged by hand. So sometimes someone messes up and if it damages the protector I always replace them free.

Keep pressing the sides down for 5-7 days. I've installed alot of these and they should adhere unless you have a curved screen.

Scott
I understand where you're coming from a packaging standpoint, you're a small startup company so I can't really put that against you. I'm sure that'll turn around when your name really gets out there and I wish you the best in that.

As for my protector being horizontal, mine was. Don't know how that happened, but hopefully you'll address that in your new style of packaging, maybe a smaller plastic bag will do. It was bent a bit, but it went onto the Nexus 7 fine other than this one edge that is being stubborn due to the protector itself being horizontal in the packaging is my guess. If it refuses to stay down I may contact you for a replacement.

Had no idea Zagg had a patent on hardcards, I have an SGP one so I ended up using that.

So far I am happy with the product. It's got a few marks under the screen since it's still wet, but I'll post a more constructive review hopefully by tomorrow night when it should be all dried up. Just wanted to give my initial impressions of your product for yours and others review. This is the first "small name" company I've gone with and for the most part, so far so good.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The packaging is weird because people complain we pack them too tight.

As far as packaging we can send them out this way without a problem but I've wanted packaging since I first starting selling them. I package all of our cases in high quality packaging. However since we are a new company and working with a tight budget it's not feasible. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to professionally package all of them with our own method of getting the water and bubbles out.

ZAGG does have the patent and I'm an attorney so I want to avoid needless litigation of licensing fees. There is a giant thread on XDA called DBA "Just Like Glass®" Screen Protector - ZAGG Killer?.

I know ZAGG is aware of the thread and we have some very suspicious posts and on the Galaxy S3 Amazon product page some very strange one star reviews (16 5 star, two one star). Right now we are ants compared to ZAGG who ships 50,000 protectors a day. However I know small company's that have been absorbed by them and don't want to give them leverage by violating a patent. I have an excellent idea for something far better than the hard card and I'm pricing it out right now. If we order these then we'll order packaging at the same time.

Let me know how the installation goes and if there are any problems I'll have a new one sent out.

Scott

I understand where you're coming from a packaging standpoint, you're a small startup company so I can't really put that against you. I'm sure that'll turn around when your name really gets out there and I wish you the best in that.

As for my protector being horizontal, mine was. Don't know how that happened, but hopefully you'll address that in your new style of packaging, maybe a smaller plastic bag will do. It was bent a bit, but it went onto the Nexus 7 fine other than this one edge that is being stubborn due to the protector itself being horizontal in the packaging is my guess. If it refuses to stay down I may contact you for a replacement.

Had no idea Zagg had a patent on hardcards, I have an SGP one so I ended up using that.

So far I am happy with the product. It's got a few marks under the screen since it's still wet, but I'll post a more constructive review hopefully by tomorrow night when it should be all dried up. Just wanted to give my initial impressions of your product for yours and others review. This is the first "small name" company I've gone with and for the most part, so far so good.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds good Scott.

I for one can already tell you this is much better than the zagg invisibleshield. I'll give this stubborn corner a few days and see how it goes, I but you definitely have yourself a great product here.

And as I said detailed review to come hopefully by tomorrow.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My full review of Just Like Glass for the Nexus 7

First of all, I'd like to thank DBA cases/SSH Guru for putting this product out.

Now let's get on to my review...

The Good:
1. High quality screen protector, no doubt about it. If you've seen those Verizon ones or any of those other screen protectors that come in packs of 3 for $9.99, you know what I'm talking about. This stuff doesn't feel cheap at all and feels extremely durable.

2. Easy to install. Make sure to be generous with the spray on the film, makes for a much easier install.

3. Definitely smooth and doesn't "catch" as easy as other screen protectors that I've used (more details in a bit)

4. No sacrifice in screen quality or clarity, still enjoying my beautiful Nexus 7 display knowing it's well protected.

5. Minimal fingerprints

6. Pretty much a perfect size cut.

The Bad:
1. Like any other quality screen protector that claims to repel oils and all that good stuff, it doesn't. However, it does seem to pick up less than some I've used.

2. It might just be me, but their claim to be "smoother than glass" just isn't right to me. My hands get warm and are not exactly dry alot of times and my finger still manages to get "caught" when navigating. Without the screen protector it was a bit harder to navigate, but like any other screen protector, it's just that much more difficult when your fingers are moist. I admit it doesn't catch as easy, but the fact is it does, and I wasn't expecting it catch as easily considering they claim it's 20% smoother than glass. And yes it does still feel like a screen protector.

3. Wiping off fingerprints, oils, and all that other good stuff we hate on our screens seem to be harder to wipe off than the SGP on my Galaxy Nexus. So it may not pick up all that good stuff as easily, but once it's on there it's stubborn.

4. What you get for the price. To be honest, competing protectors in this price range come with at least 2 screen protectors, at least from what I looked at. I knew it was only one provided, but I think another one could really work to the company's advantage, just my .02 on that. It's hard to justify spending this amount of money on one screen protector, but I wanted to give DBA a shot.

5. Packaging. The screen protector is basically protected by the thin plastic wrapping and a piece of construction paper. During transit I guess, somehow my screen protector ended up horizontal to the packaging and a corner was bent. This might just only be my case, but as a first time customer to a startup company, not too impressed with the packaging for a product at this price point. Also led to a "stubborn" corner that doesn't want to stay down for me...

6. Also no squeegee type of card or anything (I know they're working on it), but the construction paper packaged with it is pretty ineffective if you really want to get the cleaner and bubbles out during installation. Luckily I still had a squeegee from one of my other protectors.

I use my Nexus 7 for hours on end throughout the day so I got alot of hands on time with the screen protector. Super smooth for a screen protector, but you definitely know it's there. I may be a little harsh, but it doesn't feel "Just Like Glass". This is arguably the best screen protector I've used and I've been through all those "big name" companies, and this is definitely in my top 2. If anything it may have snuck into my #1 just because of how much smoother it is compared to my other favorite. As I mentioned the true disadvantage to this line is that it only comes with one screen protector. And even at the discounted price it goes for now, the original price still had its competitors giving at least 2 protectors.

So overall, this is definitely a quality screen protector. Like any other screen protector it has the same flaws, but it does one of the most important things better than most, smoothness. We all want that protection for our phones, but refuse to resort to screen protectors because of that plastic feel, but if this is the direction that this industry is moving then I like it. If I had to recommend a screen protector to someone then Just Like Glass would definitely be one, but I will warn them about the price. This may change as for now DBA is a small startup company, but I can see the price being a dealbreaker for many. And we can only believe in the words of others so much (for example many other reviews I read claimed "it really does feel like glass", which I highly disagree with).

Hope this review helps for those who are on the fence about this product.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a fair review.

As far as 20% smoother than glass we just didn't make that up we had a third party lab do the testing. As some of you know glass seen under magnification is jagged. Our was 20% smoother.

In the testing they use "Coefficient of Friction". The control glass had .468 Kinetic Friction, Just Like Glass had .364 and ZAGG had 1.16. The percentages worked out as Just Like Glass was 22.22% smoother than the control glass while ZAGG was -147.86.

It does pick up fingerprints which annoys me but in order to stop it from doing that we would have to give up some of the good. So it's not that bad and until we can solve it there isn't much you can do.

I don't know about your claim that it's harder to wipe off oils and such but we had it tested on repelling any kind of permanent staining - in fact I tested a black sharpie on it (which was stupid considering I could have used something l like a highlighter...) and it did come off completely with some elbow grease. It repels makeup and just about anything you can think of. That's because it's not porous like other protectors - it's hard.

I wanted to include two per package. I did a year of research before finding a protector I thought was good enough. We were actually going to not even have a protector line until the last minute. These are 20 times as expensive as anything else I tested. To put two in a package at the price we sell them at is simply not cost effective. Based on sales and complaints (which I deal with) about 98% get them on the first time without a problem. So including two isn't in the cards until we can reduce the cost.

The problem you had in transit is rare. Anyone who has those kinds of problems get a replacement for free. In order for me to order packaging for the different sizes of protectors I would need to order 10,000 of each size. In the future if sales keep up we will do it for sure - but for now we do the best we can.

No squeegee is because ZAGG has a patent on them. I don't know what other companies pay ZAGG to license the squeegee or if there are lawsuits going on but I'm an attorney and I'd rather design my own. We are in the process of developing something completely superior to a squeegee. In the meantime a credit card surrounded by cloth has the same effectiveness.

I don't push our impact resistance too hard because my focus has been on the feel of the product but the protector does significantly protect your device from impacts. I was at the Apple store (trying to get in to sell the protectors and our new line of cases) and told them about the break resistance. I had my Galaxy Nexus and whacked it against the edge of their table hard a few times and they winced. One of them was willing to try it but not as hard as me and the other was afraid he'd damage the table. We have a video demonstrating the protection on our site under Reviews and Video's. I also shot another video yesterday demonstrating it but it needs editing.

Thanks.

Scott Weiner
CEO
DBA Cases, Inc.

First of all, I'd like to thank DBA cases/SSH Guru for putting this product out.

Now let's get on to my review...

The Good:
1. High quality screen protector, no doubt about it. If you've seen those Verizon ones or any of those other screen protectors that come in packs of 3 for $9.99, you know what I'm talking about. This stuff doesn't feel cheap at all and feels extremely durable.

2. Easy to install. Make sure to be generous with the spray on the film, makes for a much easier install.

3. Definitely smooth and doesn't "catch" as easy as other screen protectors that I've used (more details in a bit)

4. No sacrifice in screen quality or clarity, still enjoying my beautiful Nexus 7 display knowing it's well protected.

5. Minimal fingerprints

6. Pretty much a perfect size cut.

The Bad:
1. Like any other quality screen protector that claims to repel oils and all that good stuff, it doesn't. However, it does seem to pick up less than some I've used.

2. It might just be me, but their claim to be "smoother than glass" just isn't right to me. My hands get warm and are not exactly dry alot of times and my finger still manages to get "caught" when navigating. Without the screen protector it was a bit harder to navigate, but like any other screen protector, it's just that much more difficult when your fingers are moist. I admit it doesn't catch as easy, but the fact is it does, and I wasn't expecting it catch as easily considering they claim it's 20% smoother than glass. And yes it does still feel like a screen protector.

3. Wiping off fingerprints, oils, and all that other good stuff we hate on our screens seem to be harder to wipe off than the SGP on my Galaxy Nexus. So it may not pick up all that good stuff as easily, but once it's on there it's stubborn.

4. What you get for the price. To be honest, competing protectors in this price range come with at least 2 screen protectors, at least from what I looked at. I knew it was only one provided, but I think another one could really work to the company's advantage, just my .02 on that. It's hard to justify spending this amount of money on one screen protector, but I wanted to give DBA a shot.

5. Packaging. The screen protector is basically protected by the thin plastic wrapping and a piece of construction paper. During transit I guess, somehow my screen protector ended up horizontal to the packaging and a corner was bent. This might just only be my case, but as a first time customer to a startup company, not too impressed with the packaging for a product at this price point. Also led to a "stubborn" corner that doesn't want to stay down for me...

6. Also no squeegee type of card or anything (I know they're working on it), but the construction paper packaged with it is pretty ineffective if you really want to get the cleaner and bubbles out during installation. Luckily I still had a squeegee from one of my other protectors.

I use my Nexus 7 for hours on end throughout the day so I got alot of hands on time with the screen protector. Super smooth for a screen protector, but you definitely know it's there. I may be a little harsh, but it doesn't feel "Just Like Glass". This is arguably the best screen protector I've used and I've been through all those "big name" companies, and this is definitely in my top 2. If anything it may have snuck into my #1 just because of how much smoother it is compared to my other favorite. As I mentioned the true disadvantage to this line is that it only comes with one screen protector. And even at the discounted price it goes for now, the original price still had its competitors giving at least 2 protectors.

So overall, this is definitely a quality screen protector. Like any other screen protector it has the same flaws, but it does one of the most important things better than most, smoothness. We all want that protection for our phones, but refuse to resort to screen protectors because of that plastic feel, but if this is the direction that this industry is moving then I like it. If I had to recommend a screen protector to someone then Just Like Glass would definitely be one, but I will warn them about the price. This may change as for now DBA is a small startup company, but I can see the price being a dealbreaker for many. And we can only believe in the words of others so much (for example many other reviews I read claimed "it really does feel like glass", which I highly disagree with).

Hope this review helps for those who are on the fence about this product.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the review dezy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's a fair review.

As far as 20% smoother than glass we just didn't make that up we had a third party lab do the testing. As some of you know glass seen under magnification is jagged. Our was 20% smoother.

In the testing they use "Coefficient of Friction". The control glass had .468 Kinetic Friction, Just Like Glass had .364 and ZAGG had 1.16. The percentages worked out as Just Like Glass was 22.22% smoother than the control glass while ZAGG was -147.86.

It does pick up fingerprints which annoys me but in order to stop it from doing that we would have to give up some of the good. So it's not that bad and until we can solve it there isn't much you can do.

I don't know about your claim that it's harder to wipe off oils and such but we had it tested on repelling any kind of permanent staining - in fact I tested a black sharpie on it (which was stupid considering I could have used something l like a highlighter...) and it did come off completely with some elbow grease. It repels makeup and just about anything you can think of. That's because it's not porous like other protectors - it's hard.

I wanted to include two per package. I did a year of research before finding a protector I thought was good enough. We were actually going to not even have a protector line until the last minute. These are 20 times as expensive as anything else I tested. To put two in a package at the price we sell them at is simply not cost effective. Based on sales and complaints (which I deal with) about 98% get them on the first time without a problem. So including two isn't in the cards until we can reduce the cost.

The problem you had in transit is rare. Anyone who has those kinds of problems get a replacement for free. In order for me to order packaging for the different sizes of protectors I would need to order 10,000 of each size. In the future if sales keep up we will do it for sure - but for now we do the best we can.

No squeegee is because ZAGG has a patent on them. I don't know what other companies pay ZAGG to license the squeegee or if there are lawsuits going on but I'm an attorney and I'd rather design my own. We are in the process of developing something completely superior to a squeegee. In the meantime a credit card surrounded by cloth has the same effectiveness.

I don't push our impact resistance too hard because my focus has been on the feel of the product but the protector does significantly protect your device from impacts. I was at the Apple store (trying to get in to sell the protectors and our new line of cases) and told them about the break resistance. I had my Galaxy Nexus and whacked it against the edge of their table hard a few times and they winced. One of them was willing to try it but not as hard as me and the other was afraid he'd damage the table. We have a video demonstrating the protection on our site under Reviews and Video's. I also shot another video yesterday demonstrating it but it needs editing.

Thanks.

Scott Weiner
CEO
DBA Cases, Inc.
I don't doubt for a second of the tests you had done to your product of choice to sell. However, the impression I got from reviews and your description is that it literally feels like or similar to glass, I did not get this impression. It still feels like a screen protector, just much smoother than any other I've used. Was I expecting it to feel exactly like glass? No not really, as I've found that to be impossible so far with what I've tested, but I did expect it to feel a bit less like plastic. You have a great and solid product, but I guess my expectations were too high for it, dont' know. Don't mean to offend, just giving an honest review for an honest product.

As for wiping it off, not lying about it either. I found another brand screen protector on my Galaxy Nexus to be easier to wipe debris off of. Again I don't doubt you tested a sharpie, but realistically if you put a little elbow grease into wiping it off another protector that claims the same I bet that would come off too.

Cost effectiveness is a huge issue especially for a startup company like yours, so I can't really hold one protector per package against you, just saying in the future if your business picks up then maybe you can throw in an extra, always good to have an extra. And as for packaging itself, don't know why, but it did show up like that. I'll see if it goes down in the next couple days, but considering the time I spend on my Nexus 7, it may be hard to overlook it if it doesn't stay down completely.

As for the feel, yes it feels better than many other high quality protectors I've used, but I guess it just didn't feel like I thought it would. With the name of the product and your percentages and descriptions of it compared to actual glass, I thought it would feel the same if not better. Again I still feel as if there is a screen protector on there, a plastic sort of feel and that goes for any other high end screen protector.

Again Scott, I did not mean to offend, just giving an honest review. If you feel my review is unfair please contact me via PM. I don't feel as if my review would hurt your sales, but if you feel as though it might, please contact me via PM and we can talk more about it. And again, I am happy with the product just thought it was something a bit more.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinions and I don't fault them. I've seen some written by people that seem to work for competing companies and I respond to those. But you just shared your opinion.

I sell far more of these for the Galaxy S3 and I get terrific reviews about it feeling like the glass. Maybe you have sensitive fingers (I don't want to know).

My policy is to refund the money if people don't like it.

I cant afford to put two in there without raising the price. Honestly these are too expensive to make. I would do it in two seconds if I could.

I am working on a deal to package them better.

I've also re-done the cut of the Galaxy Nexus screen protector so it covers most of the glass. No one liked the shorter cut so I have one of the newer cuts on right now I'm testing.

I am somewhat at the liberty of manufacterers and technology. We have a patent on the ones we make and have explored things that reduce fingerprints, scratches, etc... However we end up just like ZAGG and that's the opposite direction of where we wan't to go.

I'm always researching better.

Scott

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Everyone has their own opinions and I don't fault them. I've seen some written by people that seem to work for competing companies and I respond to those. But you just shared your opinion.

I sell far more of these for the Galaxy S3 and I get terrific reviews about it feeling like the glass. Maybe you have sensitive fingers (I don't want to know).

My policy is to refund the money if people don't like it.

I cant afford to put two in there without raising the price. Honestly these are too expensive to make. I would do it in two seconds if I could.

I am working on a deal to package them better.

I've also re-done the cut of the Galaxy Nexus screen protector so it covers most of the glass. No one liked the shorter cut so I have one of the newer cuts on right now I'm testing.

I am somewhat at the liberty of manufacterers and technology. We have a patent on the ones we make and have explored things that reduce fingerprints, scratches, etc... However we end up just like ZAGG and that's the opposite direction of where we wan't to go.

I'm always researching better.

Scott
Indeed we all have our opinions, I was just expressing mine. It doesn't feel like glass to me, but it does indeed feel closest to glass, making it the best feeling protector out there imo. And I'm sure you get terrific reviews, it is a great product after all, but like any other product I post a review up, I also post what I see as a downside.

I'm sure your company and your products will continue to improve. With the experience I had with it and your customer service, I only see your company gaining popularity from here. I'm personally looking forward to how your company will expand because you're one of the better small companies I've ever dealt with.

My review was never meant to be a criticism, if that's how you feel, and if you do that was not my intent. I feel that in order to improve as a company, you'll need some negatives to go with the positives, as I'm sure you know. Was only looking to post an honest and full constructive review, which I hope it did. Again, this is definitely one of the top products in terms of screen protectors, but I just decided it's not for me or where I bring and use my device.

I see good things coming for DBA Cases. I've spread the word to a few of my friends with the s3 and they did see my Nexus 7 with the protector on and they seemed to enjoy it. So if anything, despite my criticisms, I'm trying to help you out as well. So if you see a couple orders for the S3 in the next week or so, consider some of'em references;)

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
No I didn't think you were being critical. But I do like to explain.

Some people don't like them and I'm fine with that. No one likes everything. People swear by SGP and I couldn't stand it on my phone for more than 20 minutes. So like every other company some people will like what you have and some people won't.

(everyone likes the Ultra :biggrin:)

I can use all the business and press I can get being a start-up so I like feedback.

Send you're S3 people over to my site - we're having a Veteran's day sale Sunday and Monday - 25% off.

Scott

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No I didn't think you were being critical. But I do like to explain.

Some people don't like them and I'm fine with that. No one likes everything. People swear by SGP and I couldn't stand it on my phone for more than 20 minutes. So like every other company some people will like what you have and some people won't.

(everyone likes the Ultra :biggrin:)

I can use all the business and press I can get being a start-up so I like feedback.

Send you're S3 people over to my site - we're having a Veteran's day sale Sunday and Monday - 25% off.

Scott
I'll have'em check it out. Thanks for the heads up about the sale

S

shooting

looking for a screen protector..

any experience on what brand works good?
my screen feels slick.. would like to Keep it that way.
I have found one here, you can have a look and see if you like it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have found one here, you can have a look and see if you like it.
A screen protector for under a buck. Believe me, you will get what you pay for.

If you want a quality screen protector stick to names like SGP or Skinomi. I post a review of Just Like Glass a few pages back and I for the most part enjoyed it and it is a high quality screen protector. It is the smoothest of every screen protector I've used so if you want to keep the screen feeling slick I would highly recommend that one. Take a look at my review.