ICS OTA battery life

stemo

Reaction score
Since I downloaded the ota my battery life has gotten a little worse. Like as I type my battery has been off charge for 20 minutes and I've already dropped 8%.

I have the ext battery but it looks the screen is draining my battery.

The screen usage is a 98% it is set on 25% brightness. What can solve this drainage?

OP
S

stemo

Reaction score
By worse I mean it drains a little faster.I do still get about 20hrs of light use. But on the days that I'm off work like today I will use the phone a lot more and I don't want to worry about having to take my charger with me.

Snoking

Reaction score
Just remember that a high percent for screen use means other "things" are low. A low percent for screen would mean that you have something else eating up the battery. That is what percentages are all about.

OP
S

stemo

Reaction score
So what your saying is that its ok for the screen use to be that high as long as everything else is low?

Snoking

Reaction score
stemo said:
So what your saying is that its ok for the screen use to be that high as long as everything else is low?

That is correct! If you are using is a fair amount and things are "right", then screen is the big user of the battery. However keeping brightness down to what is required for good viewing will help with battery life.

OP
S

stemo

Reaction score
I've had my phone on for 1hr and 45min and the battery is at 71% with moderate use.

So far it is worse ICS is slightly worse on the battery than GB.

svdroiddude

Reaction score
My first night my battery died in about 5 hrs just sitting idle. Yesterday did a factory reset and in five hours sitting idle it went down 12%. MUCH better. Not expecting great battery life on ICS but it surely shouldn't be much worse.

Caesars

Reaction score
I would do a hard reset followed by another immediate hard reset, followed by an eight hour charge powered off. Hopefully this helps mate.

Googorola MAXX

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Stemo: there's a battery subforum on this forum. Take a look at FoxKat's posts.
In a nutshell...it's entirely possible that the update got your battery meter a little out of whack.
Try recalibrating the meter.
1: At any point turn your phone off and charge to 100%. You can check the level as it's charging while off by pressing volume down button.
2: Then turn the phone on and use it normally until your "battery low" flag pops up (it might be 15% or 10% on your phone....I don't know)
3: Turn the phone off again and recharge it while off back up to 100%.

This recalibrates the mater to the battery.
DO NOT LET IT DIE COMPLETELY during the battery draining part.
Lots of folks on this forum (including me) swear by this. It does not make the battery last longer, what it does is allow the meter to accurately reflect battery power. Kinda like calibrating your car's fuel gauge to reflect a full tank of gas when the tank is actually full, as opposed to 3/4 full.

Edit....all credit foes to The Dali FoxKat. Sorry Fox, Dali Lama is already taken (biiiiiig grin)

Last edited:

Snoking

Reaction score
Gsam battery monitor gives a different view of what is happening. List screen much lower and gives a lot more break down.

Last edited:

peepmyswag

Reaction score
[QUOTE="bruben7886",]
1: You can check the level as it's charging while off by pressing volume down button.[/QUOTE]

This does nothing.

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
peepmyswag said:
[QUOTE="bruben7886",]
1: You can check the level as it's charging while off by pressing volume down button.

This does nothing.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I thought your phone operated like the razr. Try the power button. Just a tap or else it will power on. Or....just let it charge while off overnight. That should get you a 100% charge.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Edit....all credit foes to The Dali FoxKat. Sorry Fox, Dali Lama is already taken (biiiiiig grin)

:D Thanks. Truth be told though...most of that knowledge I gleaned from battryuniversity.com, and the rest comes from being a total science geek and reading anything related to science.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

VooDooCC

Reaction score
Sorry. I thought your phone operated like the razr. Try the power button. Just a tap or else it will power on. Or....just let it charge while off overnight. That should get you a 100% charge.

As far as I know, there is no way to check the charge level while it's off.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
VooDooCC said:
As far as I know, there is no way to check the charge level while it's off.

No major thing. If the battery meter is off....if that is the prob
...then the charge/discharge cycle as suggested should help.